Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

suitable daily driver

Options
  • 09-05-2008 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭

ok all looking i have an e30 318is it spends most of its time in a shed so im hoping to have the jeep sold this weekend and will then be looking for a new daily driver... im budgeting 5k for something.. can be carvan or car...id like an estate though... so what through peoples experiences would you recommend...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

A solid diesel - like a Skoda maybe............i know, i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

im not really concerned with badges...as long as..

there cheap to run maintain tax and insure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Well Skoda Octavia 1.9d, 50mpg+,easy to service,based on a vw golf,reliable etc.
    Tax would be €530ish pa and ok to ensure..........its no flame thrower.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well Skoda Octavia 1.9d, 50mpg+,easy to service,based on a vw golf,reliable etc.
    Tax would be €530ish pa and ok to ensure..........its no flame thrower.

And it has a huge boot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

im wondering is tdi the way to go with rising fuel costs... i wont be buying till after july anyways so maybe a tdi from the uk might better suit..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

A 01 Mondeo Zetec, 125BHP petrol. All the car a person could want. Does 40mpg on the fuel if you want it to.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Mondeo/1.8-Zetec/1040424/

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Mondeo/1.8-zetec/981445/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I second the Mondeo but not as a diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

But as a diesel?

I'm a diesel fan myself but the mondeo engine is very nice. Buying diesel can be a false economy with second hand prices usually thouasands above petrol equivalents. For the sake of 10mpg extra and some torque you've a long way to go to recover your the initial prize difference especially when you factor in tax and the current 10c price difference with diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

any fuel , doesnt really matter...

1.4 vvti corrolla is actually a good car ( 96-01 )

its great motorway car with plenty of tourqe , it pulls like a 1.6

its built by toyota so it IS what you expect... dulll on the inside but very cheap to run, very hard to break.

if you looking a bit up-market

subaru legacy 1.6-2.0

with or without turbo , a very under rated car ( saloon model )

couldnt sing it praises anymore !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The Mondeo's diesel is noted for injector problems(TDCi models) and the cost of diesel is rapidly rising..... it only makes sense really for new car buyers to go for a diesel from July on with the new VRT rules, as you'll be paying only a fraction more in many cases for a diesel over a petrol and much lower road tax thrown in not to mention the fact that diesels are more desirable in the used car market.

There are still many advantages to pre July petrols and pre 08 ones in particular though as they will continue to be taxed on engine size.

Petrol still has a very bright future ahead, although here it will be very much a minority interest from July. Ironically, a lot of CO2 improvements are set for petrols in the coming years, while diesels will only be able to improve by using very expensive hybrid technology.

The HCCI injection process will be able to achieve diesel like economy but none of all the smelly particulates and Nitrous Oxides.

GM and Merc are very busy developing this. Meanwhile over at BMW the 6 cylinder petrols already come within an ass's roar of their diesels for CO2. The 325i and 325d Autos have a difference in CO2 of just 1 g/km, while the 330i Auto pollutes 2 g/km less than the 330d Auto.

Forced induction with direct injection as pioneered by VAG and BMW will narrow the gap between petrol and diesel.

In 2000, the Audi A3 1.8 had 125 bhp did 35.8 mpg and polluted 190 g/km for CO2. The 1.9 TDI 100 bhp did 53.3 mpg and polluted 143 g/km for CO2.

When the new facelifted A3 arrives later on this year, the 1.4 TFSI with the forced induction direct injection petrol will do 47.1 mpg and pollutes 143 g/km, the same as the 1.9 TDI did just over half a decade ago. Naturally the diesel has improved since then, but at a much slower rate. The 1.9 TDI now has 5 bhp extra and does 61.4 mpg and pollutes 127 g/km.

So while the petrol has improved by 11.3 mpg(or 31.6%), and by 47 g/km, or 24.7%, the diesel has improved fuel consumption by 15.2% or 8.1 mpg, and furthermore has improved by 17 g/km, or 11.9%. I know that I'm comparing an antiquated engine that's barely changed since the one 6 years ago, and the petrol is a brand new engine, but since the all new 2.0 TDI is worse again, you can hardly accuse me of favouritism. Besides I wanted to illustrate my point about why forced induction direct injection petrols offer massive advances for improving mpg and CO2, and of course give petrols much more torque at much lower revs.

Meanwhile all the emissions regs coming up will require very minor changes for petrols compared to diesels. The Adblue technology will mean you'll have to fill up with diesel and AdBlue and that will naturally make diesels even more expensive than they already are, and also there will be a reduction in mpg and hence increase in CO2 as a result.

Even normally diesel obsessed PSA announced recently that they are developing a 3 pot 1.0, with under 100 g/km for CO2. You might think that it's gonna be a diesel with that good a figure, but you'd be wrong cause it'll be a petrol, which is most telling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement