Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning: Cycling can cause lung disease

Options
  • 09-05-2008 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Sorry about the misleading title :)

So there I was cycling down the Alfie Byrne Road on the way to work yesterday morning when I came across a Woman cycling ahead of me. She had one hand on the handlebar and the other up to her mouth...because she was puffing away on a cigarette ! Classic.

Davej

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

I smoke 30 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

I smoke 30 a day.

Yeah - i used to be a courier and still managed to choke down 20 a day...some while cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I smoke 30 a day.

On yer bike??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I like stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

I saw a guy in the Phoenix park last summer cycling with a fag in one hand. He stopped at the cafe near the zoo and propped the fag in one of the slits on his helmet while he locked up the bike - bleedin' genius...

• Advertisement

Nah, I like to have use of my hands. But you should hear me when I get off the bike. My spluttering reverberates throughout Dublin 6.
    Also at traffic lights actually. I'm fine while cycling, it's when I stop that the problems happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Remember seeing a old man cycle up the hill beside my house with a fag in his mouth, sweat pouring out of him and he could barely breath. Stopped at the top, took two big drags and continued on his way :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I remember when I was a chizler walking up my road one evening, I saw a bloke sniffing something - presumably glue or aerosol or something - out of an inside pocket in his jacket while cycling down the path.

I don't think he had a bell on his bike aswell!

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Remember seeing a old man cycle up the hill beside my house with a fag in his mouth, sweat pouring out of him and he could barely breath. Stopped at the top, took two big drags and continued on his way :confused:

Exercise opens up the lungs and clears out bad stuff from them. Ironically this has the effect of making the “hit” of nicotine from a cigarette more powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Exercise opens up the lungs and clears out bad stuff from them. Ironically this has the effect of making the “hit” of nicotine from a cigarette more powerful.

Also because your out of breath you will take deeper breaths so again you get a bigger hit of nicotine from the puff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    I assume this is a cigarette in his mouth we're talking about?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I remember, years ago, when I was working in a petrol station, sunny Sunday afternoon, a bloke drifting by, no hands, rolling one up.
    Concentration!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Planet X wrote: »
    I remember, years ago, when I was working in a petrol station, sunny Sunday afternoon, a bloke drifting by, no hands, rolling one up.
    Concentration!

That most certainly takes some sembalance of talent and indeed insanity.:D
    Pity he didn't apply his power of rolling to his pedals, he most certainly would be a road champion at this stage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I see people smoking and cycling all the time.

A: I don't see how it can't wait. Ciggies are way more enjoyable when you're relaxed.

B: I can't understand how they manage to cycle. As a recent smoker (4-5 weeks off now) I remember how fecking hard it was to do any sort of exercise after/during a smoke. You feel like utter crap.

Personally I'm waiting to see someone shoot up whilst on a bike :) Now that would be newsworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Personally I'm waiting to see someone shoot up whilst on a bike :) Now that would be newsworthy.

or make a sandwich with all the trimmings!!

I'd also accept somebody doing a jigsaw!

or.....

somebody driving a car while cycling!! i'd be well imrpessed then!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

The_B_Man wrote: »
    somebody driving a car while cycling!! i'd be well imrpessed then!

http://www.discoverychannel.ca/shows/showdetails.aspx?sid=8102

Advertisement