Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying Diesel car up north

Options
  • 09-05-2008 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

hi all

was thinking of going up north to buy a diesel car. but the da was talkin to a mechanic the other day, who told him he wouldn't touch a diesel car from the north due to the amount of washed diesel up there. He rekoned it damaged the engine over time, due to the chemicals used to wash the diesel.....his advice was head to uk mainland to pick one up..

any opinions on this??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He is right I saw the topic line and was going to say the exact same thing.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

yep - the mainland uk is the place to head for - identify a car near a airport, get the car hpi'd, fly in on a cheap flight, give the car a good going over doing all the usual checks, do the deal and get the ferry home.
    Can all be done in 1 day - often do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

he might be right about the diesel.
    apart from that , i think that most diesels for sale in the north are already ex-uk and tend to have 100k + on them by the time they appear for sale in autotrader ni. the roads are also not great. get the boat and buy a nice 1 driver ex-fleet car with a verified mileage and no expense spared fsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 kkdoll

www.cargiant.co.uk - approx 30 min from heathrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

sound for the replies lads...thats that so, across the water i go...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Thankfully there is no washed/illegal diesel south of the border :rolleyes:

Advertisement