Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does an xbox premium come with wireless?

• 09-05-2008 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭

I have a broadband router at home that can be used as a wi-fi router.

I want to be able to use the xbox like my laptop wirelessly but does the xbox have built in wireless or do I need to buy an adaptor?

In the options menu it has some network options but the wireless option is greyed out, so does that mean It doesnt have built in wireless ability?

I should have kept the wii....:D

runs and hides

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

no u have to buy the xbox wireless adaptor to make your 360 wireless...bummer i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

jcoote wrote: »
    no u have to buy the xbox wireless adaptor to make your 360 wireless...bummer i know

Lol what cheapskates :D

How much is one typically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

€80-€100.. madness but kinda has to be done these days doesn't it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

ridiculous

I got it in Game, was it not the best deal?

What came with the premium console in gamestop, there was an extra controller, but would it have come with a wireless adaptor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

jcoote wrote: »
    €80-€100.. madness but kinda has to be done these days doesn't it

~€50 from play-asia.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

You can connect your laptop to your 360 for wireless. Its just utilising your laptops reciever.

http://www.ofzenandcomputing.com/zanswers/61

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That's a pain in the ass. Another cheapo solution though is to use an ethernet-to-wireless adaptor - i.e. you plug it into the 360's network port and as far as the 360 knows its on a cabled LAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

You can get second hand ones in Game Stop for 50 methinks. Or you could just get a new one off Santa like moi :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

gamestop have em for €69.99 which seems like the best high street price from what ive seen from the others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

do any xboxes come with wireless built in?

got a bonus in work i might think of using but i ain't getting one if i've to fork out another 70 quid for a wireless adapter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭supertramp

they do come with an ethernet cable though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Cremo wrote: »
    do any xboxes come with wireless built in?

got a bonus in work i might think of using but i ain't getting one if i've to fork out another 70 quid for a wireless adapter.
    Its bad enough it doesn't do WiFi out of the box, but the price for the dongle is shamefull.

supertramp wrote: »
    they do come with an ethernet cable though..

is it about 100ft long though?

i live in a 3-storey house and that would be approximately the distance i'd need from the location of the xbox to my router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭Basq

i live in a 3-storey house and that would be approximately the distance i'd need from the location of the xbox to my router.
    3 storey house? Well laa-dee-dah Cremo!

Couldn't your butler Jeeves hold it instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

If that many walls are between the box and router you would be better off with a good quality patch cable and wiring it, as broadband speed and ping are affected big time by the quality of a wireless connection.

i get the same ping playing games on my laptop(wirelessly) where the xbox would be that i get with my main pc that is wired to the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

If you are unsre abotu the price of the dongle, You can always pick up an Ethernet to WIFI adaptor and use that. Or even a cheap Access Point you can run in bridge mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

If your house is that big i would go with some Homeplugs personnaly. They create a LAN network through your electiral wireing. Picked up a 2 pack on Ebay for roughly €70 in Janurary and never had a problem, my internet connection being quite **** was the only downside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Sizeable downside though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Stephen wrote: »
    That's a pain in the ass. Another cheapo solution though is to use an ethernet-to-wireless adaptor - i.e. you plug it into the 360's network port and as far as the 360 knows its on a cabled LAN.

Never seen one of these before... Where can you get these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Motosam wrote: »
    ridiculous

I got it in Game, was it not the best deal?

What came with the premium console in gamestop, there was an extra controller, but would it have come with a wireless adaptor?

Game rip you off 95 euro for a wireless adaptor Smyths in bray sell them for €70

Advertisement