Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaky fittings

Options
  • 09-05-2008 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I was putting together a WC loop last night and leak testing it. Most of the original parts are from a Asetek Waterchill kit which uses push-fit fittings except for the 9800gx2 waterblock and the radiator.

My problem is this:
    The original tubing is 10mm OD / 7mm ID, and on not having enough of that, I bought some 10/8 to replace it. The first hurdle I came across was the fact that the new tubing (orange in picture) was very stiff and kinked when taking the kinds of angles that i expected from it. So this was replaced with some of the left over 10/7 tubing(clear)

So I was left with this:
    IMG_1049-1.jpg

When I rank my leak test, the 2 exit tubes from the waterblock were leaking quite bad so I put it down to too much strain being on the tubing in the fitting, so I cut 2 longer pieces of tubing and tried that but that also leaked quite bad. Then I tried replacing it with what i had left of the clear tubing and it stopped leaking from there

IMG_1050-1.jpg

The only problem I have left is that if the centre tube to the CPU waterblock is fiddled with, it lets out a few drips of water - so I take it that the push-fittings don't like the 10/8 tubing. I'd replace it with the clear 10/7 tubing but I've only got about 10cm left and it needs to reach the radiator at the front of the case.

Anyone have any ideas?
    The only things I can think of doing are
    (a) buying a new length of 10/7 tubing - which will be a pain in the ass seeing as how its a non-standard size and I'll have to end up buying it online
    or (b) buying a 8mm hose connector and some hose clips, and connecting my last 10cm of 10/7 hose to some of the 10/8 hose.

I'd like to get it done over the weekend, but I dunno if I can pick up any of those parts somewhere in dublin (a hardware store maybe?)

Cheers for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

kink..........

If you planing to shop at specialtech , you best option would be to replace all push-in connectors( I hate them) to these, i thing asetek is using 1/4 tread
    http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=5041&cat=561&page=2

I'm replaicing mine next week-waiting on stuf to be delivered so ill let you know.....

P.s. you even could try to fit 1/2 " fittings and tubing to improve system flow..............( that's what I'm getting )

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

I had originally thought that'd be a good idea but the fittings on the CPU waterblock aren't removable. which is strange seeing as how the fittings on the chipset waterblock are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

did you run the leak test with it mounted in the case?

personally id assemble it outside the case and run it on a towel or something to see if it leaks. i wouldnt want to run any risk what so ever.

yeah, I did it in the case. It would have been impossible to mount the gx2 waterblock afterward with tubing attached!

also, it gives me a better indication of tubing bends which seem to be the main case of leaks with these ****ty push-fit connections.

What I'm trying at the moment is I've cut a small 5mm piece of the 10/8 tube, cut a small section out of it and I've glued it inside the tube to create a 10/6 tube that may or may not help things. I'm also gonna try wrap it in PTFE tape before inserting it.

Will post back with how I get on

not so good. same problem really

I ended up taking apart the waterblock to compare what happens when I fit the 10/7 tubing vs the 10/8. The 10/7 tubing compresses slightly when it reaches the bottom of the fitting; sealing itself against the acrylic wall. I figured the 10/8 tubing is too stiff to compress no matter how hard i pushed it in. So, I soaked the end of it in boiling water to soften it up and lubed it up and shoved it home.

Heres to hoping that this has solved the leakage... now to put the block and loop back together

• Advertisement

thats done it.
    thanks for the suggestions guys.
    I'll post a pic of the build once its completed for anyone thats interested

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

Maybe you should consider getting a new block ?

XSPC Edge Acrylic CPU Waterblock or D-Tek FuZion V2 CPU Block are the top performers , but they come for premium price as well.........

My vote goes to XSPC X20 Delta V2 CPU Waterblock -its cheaper and a solid performer-http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/XSPC-X2O-Delta-CPU-V2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 83,352 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

My best counsel is the last thing you want to do is cheap out on your water cooling system: get a proper one or don't get one. Push-fittings are not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

is yor cpu the last or first thing in your series of blocks???
    just curious cause i think there might be something wrong with your flow....just trying to remember my asetek setup

well if it was my own machine, I'd have invested a little more in some premium parts - but its for a mate and he already had all the asetek gear.

The loop goes Pump -> Rad -> CPU -> NB -> GPU

I've got pic of it completed now

• Advertisement

Specs are:

Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.6GHz 1.375V - cooled by Asetek Antarctica waterblock
    Asus Maximus Formula - Heatpipe NB cooler removed and replaced with Asetek NB waterblock
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 5-5-5-15
    Club3D GeForce 9800GX2 @ 782 core / 1888 shader / 1066 mem - cooled by EK9800GX2 waterblock
    Samsung F1 1TB
    Thermaltake Kandalf LCS
    X-Fi extreme music

19700 3DMark06

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

Advertisement