Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 new restaurants noticed around town - any opinions?

Options
  • 09-05-2008 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Artisan, the new place where Ard Bia used to be (has tables outside by Neachtain's), the new Indian/Thai place opposite Amnesty on Middle St (Spice Corner, maybe?), and the Asian Teahouse on Upper Abbeygate - any opinions on them yet? Have heard a coupla good ones of Spice Corner, esp the all-you-can-eat lunch buffet, but haven't been myself yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Across amnesty is very good, don't know about the rest.

GC has become food board lately :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

I love thai so I may have to check that new place out. Though I barely seem to go out to eat in this city (of the non-late night chipper sort).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

all-you-can-eat eh /makes note

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Went to Artisan over the weekend (that's the Ard Bia replacement). Lovely surroundings, really bright, really nice staff.

I had the 8oz beef, which came on a very thin amount of mash. My better half had the scallops, which was 3 scallops and 3 prawns on a pasta bed. I had a 7up, she had a coke (couldn't get an orange juice). €68 before tip, which I felt was a bit expensive. I also felt that the menu was a bit restricted, and well presented or laid out.

All that said, it was the opening weekend, so I think I'll give it a "settling down" period before heading back.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

i also seen in the paper that there is a new restaurant in dominick st called cava, spanish tapas restaurant. Sounds good, have not tried it yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dosman

Was in Spice Corner last week. Unfortunately no buffet at night time, however the food was absolutely spot on. The Mains were better than the starters imo. Service was pretty slow but the owner apologised for the delay saying it was just new staff getting adjusted.

Overall a big thumbs up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Went to Cava the other day and absolutely loved it, the prices are also very good. Will be making it a regular haunt me thinks :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Where is the allyoucaneat spine corner place? What is it beside? What do they sell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 chiempi

Where is the allyoucaneat spine corner place? What is it beside? What do they sell?

On Middle Street, directly across the road from Amnesty. Thai/Indian, good selection and good prices from what I've seen of the menu - we're going there tonight yippee! Might try Cava for lunch - any more opinions?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oooh nice, they have matar paneer? Samosas? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 chiempi

Lunch for under a tenner column, March:
    http://www.galwayfirst.ie/content/view/2930/1011/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭funkycat83

all you can eat for 10e

oooh il def be paying spice corner a visit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Big time...
    H. Simpson is alive and well and living in Galway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

ill head down tomorrow!Hurray for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭scary_tractors

Have been in Artisan twice - lovely surroundings and reasonable enough for lunch. Fabulous cakes and stuff but didn't think much of my main course - basically a cheddar and chorizo toastie. bad mix of flavours and impossible to cut with the knife they gave me!

Also, it didn't bother us hugely but someone at our table did find a hair in her cake (they replaced it for free)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I took the Missus to the new place on Mary Street called Asian Tea House. Had a beautiful Maylasian Lamb Curry. It wasn't like any curry I ever had before. We will be back.

Advertisement