Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chips

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Sounds cool, Picz?

here it is

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Looks weird, would like to see it in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

[=Peanut;55892302]Burger King chips are also vegetarian, they're the only big fast food chain to have veg. society approved stuff on their menus. It's just a pity they're not so great. Go to London and get Maoz fries :-p

I know someone who only went to Burker King in Blanchardstown SC because of their 'Vegetarian Society Approved' Veggie Burger only to told half way through eating it that her vegetarian burger had a slice of bacon sticking out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I've been a vegetarian for about 2 years, but only discovered the whole chips-are-cooked-in-lard thing about a month ago... sick-ened!
    I never exactly eat them anyway... yes, i too do not like chips, but there have been quite a few drunken trips to the chipper at about 2am which I'm now sickened about!
    Grrrr....

And as for McDonalds... I wouldn't go there EVER, even if I was about to die a painful and hunger-related death.
    McDonalds= Herpes.
    (If you're rooted into going, just get a black coffee... but even that's risky)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

yeah although i am not a veggie I hate it when you buy chips and they taste of fish

I was under the impression that most places use veg oil and fry the chips separately.

I always get fish flavoured mushrooms..... yuck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Good to know it's not just veggies who hate fish flavoured chips :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

That Tefal fryer looks great actually. And surprisingly it seems to work too, going by reviews on Amazon, pity it's so expensive right now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How much is it? You'd save the money on oil. ;)

Oh... seems like it's reduced from the last time I checked.
    It was a good bit over £100 on amazon.co.uk but it's £99 now.

Yeah I suppose you would save some on oil too...
    Wonder how well it cooks falafels :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

he he he! you are revealing too much about yourself Peanut ;)

• Advertisement

Oh noes.. :-) The cheapskate part or the falafel part? :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

secret falafel love ;)

The love that dare not speaketh its name lol

I can see the ads now.

All because the lady loves milk tray falafel...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Nature Boy wrote: »
    Good to know it's not just veggies who hate fish flavoured chips :D

Ah jaysus there is nothing worse in all fairness! its stomach turning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

I'd never assume, I'd ask them.

And no I don't eat McDonalds fries....they're hardly the most vegetarian friendly place in the world. Fries taste great they don't need beef on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

as far as I know most chippers use veg oil, as it is considerably cheaper than lard. As someone said some use the one in a block, so it can be mistaken for lard.

I hate the taste of chips that are all fishy - always did. my loccal (well ex local one now cos I've moved) had two friers. They did all the fish and battered stuff in one and chips in the other. I noticed it a few times and did ask. They said that its quicker, cos at busy times not every one wants fish, just chips, so they can get batches of chips done without 'cooling' the oil by throwing in a fish or frozen batter burger. They said that the fish fryer needs cleaning more often cos of the batter, so that is why they seperate them, otherwise they would have to clean them both out more often. Not sure how many others do this, but I would ask - my love of a nice chipper chip in a bit of brennans bread with real butter would overcome any embarrassment of asking the question!

I remember when I just became veggie, I was at a friends birthday in McDonalds and as there was nothing else I ordered fries - I remember TASTING the beef flavour from them. If you ever got a cold fry in miccie-d's you would know that they flavour them with beef. I had heard that they no longer do this, but they cannot guarantee that meat juice or fat will not be involved at some stage.

Also heard that their ice-cream and milkshakes contain animal fats to thicken it. Again not sure if its fact or fiction, but worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

If anyone is interested, here are some links to:
    McDonalds Ingredients
    McDonalds Nutritional Info

BK Ingredients
    BK Nutritional Info

Both claim that their fries are veggie, although I'm very annoyed that BKs spicy beanburger apperently contains fish (hopefully this is just a result of some restaurants cooking them in the same containers as the fish burgers, which not all restaurants do)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

Both claim that their fries are veggie, although I'm very annoyed that BKs spicy beanburger apperently contains fish (hopefully this is just a result of some restaurants cooking them in the same containers as the fish burgers, which not all restaurants do)

I'm really surprised at BK if this is true, as they have veggie society accreditation, so this is why most people trust their food to be genuinely veggie. But i did notice that in the beanburger and ice-cream there is E471, mono and di-glycerides of fatty acids. Years ago a hindu friend edcucated me that unless the food item is listed as veggie or it says mono and di-glycerides of fatty acids (vegetable) then there is no way to know if these fatty acids are of animal or vegetable origin. So you need to be careful of the presence of E471.

When you look at all the preservatives and fats and emulsifiers on these lists it makes me feel ill, and I am no health food nut, and even I feel uuugh! No wonder there are so many fatties out there!

Also find it funny that Mcdonalds pointedly state their cheese is veggie, when the cheese always ends up on a burger, so its irrelevant if it veggie! lol

BK Beanburger is veggie in itself, but may possibly be cooked in the same oil as fish/chicken menu items.

The BK Veggie Burger has the Vegetarian Society accreditation, while the beanburger hasn't, for the above reason.

• Advertisement
Advertisement