Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Most annoying thing on the road?

Options
  • 09-05-2008 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

For me it has to be people turning right at a junction and they won't move in to the junction - they're waiting for the filter light to turn on...

Most people don't seem to understand that there's a weight sensor under the road and if you don't MOVE INTO THE JUNCTION the filter light will never turn on and you'll be stuck there all day!!!!

Ahhhh... feeels good to get that off my chest.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

For me it has to be people turning right at a junction and they won't move in to the junction - they're waiting for the filter light to turn on...

Most people don't seem to understand that there's a weight sensor under the road and if you don't MOVE INTO THE JUNCTION the filter light will never turn on and you'll be stuck there all day!!!!

Not all junctions have sensors.

And usually the sensor is in the traffic lane to asses the length of cars waiting at the lights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

kearnsr wrote: »
    Not all junctions have sensors.

And usually the sensor is in the traffic lane to asses the length of cars waiting at the lights

Fair enough - not all junctions have sensors. But a lot of them do.

About the second part - why doesn't the filter light change unless you move in then? It's definitely a sensor to decide whether or not there is a car waiting to turn right.

You can usually see a car-sized cut in the tarmac where you would usually wait to turn right. Either that or a box on the road for you to stop in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

hidden traffic signs and stupid speed limits wreck my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

A car coming around a roundabout indicating right and gets off the exit before while still indicating right... in the meantime you miss your gap cos this tool is too lazy to indicate off the roundabout.

I'd do time thats all i'm saying!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Tractors and fcukers who drive at 40kmph even though its a 100 zone. Get a fcuking bicycle if you want to travel that slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

DarkJager wrote: »
    Tractors and fcukers who drive at 40kmph even though its a 100 zone. Get a fcuking bicycle if you want to travel that slow.

I agree 100%, Every morning on my way to work i get caught behind this tool in a 08 Citroen on my way to work. Every morning he's holding up traffic travelling at 60km on the N7 between Nenagh and Roscrea.

I dont Speed 100Km is fine with me, but this fella takes the mick. I have no doubt he will soon be the cause of an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

the amount of cars that go through red lights does my head in, also feckers who don't get in to the correct lane, obviously the one with the most traffic and then cut back in as far down the road as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

impatient feckers trying to kill me and others while trying to overtake tractors in dangerous locations

I doubt a Bicycle would be usefull for towing a 20 ton trailor, but sure I'll give it a go......... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The most annoying thing?

Everybody else but me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

People behind a lorry or something else slowmoving that won't overtake when it is safe to do so.

People driving with unrestrained kids in the back of the car, they usually have the parcel shelf full of junk blocking the rearview.

Ugly birds driving Minis.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭andreas_220D

You need to show me a tractor that runs 100 kph...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

feckers who think they can skip a traffic queue by driving straight, when they are clearly in a right turn only lane
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I'd say pedestrians, cyclists and other motorists for a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

You need to show me a tractor that runs 100 kph...

100kph Tractor:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Fair enough - not all junctions have sensors. But a lot of them do.

About the second part - why doesn't the filter light change unless you move in then? It's definitely a sensor to decide whether or not there is a car waiting to turn right.

It depends on what its purpose is.

If there is low right turns it could be an on call loop.

Or it can be triggered by the number of vehicles wanting to turn right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

kearnsr wrote: »
    It depends on what its purpose is.

If there is low right turns it could be an on call loop.

Or it can be triggered by the number of vehicles wanting to turn right.

That would need more than one sensor surely? As far as I know, there should only be one car in the junction?

Anyway, the junctions I'm talking about definitely have sensors and the filter light definitely doesn't change to green unless you move in to the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Even if there is no sensor, you should still take control of the junction. I am normally stuck behind cars who won't go forward till they get the filter light, which delays a good few cars.

One of the junctions is when you are turning right from the N11 onto Anglesea Road - you can see oncoming traffic from quite far away. People waiting till they get the filter before even moving up, let alone turning can delay easily 10 cars getting through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

People driving on the wrong side of the road!!
    I have witnessed this twice in the past month on the Navan road, Just after the Maxol garage heading towards Blanch (me going to town) The first fool was flashing me like I was on the wrong side :mad: then the second, a lady, quickly realised her mistake only after I beeped her.

Then there are the jabronis who dont position correctly coming to roundabouts and cut other people off :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

dancor wrote: »

Then there are the jabronis who dont position correctly coming to roundabouts and cut other people off :mad:

Same :mad:

Like the person here;
    They're in the red, in left hand lane..use the right hand lane to go straight ahead and myself in the right hand land (green)get cut off because of their stupidity and/or plain laziness to actually turn at a roundabout.

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/1631/roundaboutde1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

That would need more than one sensor surely? As far as I know, there should only be one car in the junction?

Anyway, the junctions I'm talking about definitely have sensors and the filter light definitely doesn't change to green unless you move in to the junction.
    That is strange, any of the sensors I have seen have been behind the stop line. Also bear in mind that a lot of filter light have a separate red light and so you cannot cross the line until the filter light come on.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

cyclists who cycle beside each other instead of single file,indecisive drivers and people who dont indicate specially on roundabouts :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Not stopping at red lights, there's a newish set of lights near my house and everyday i see cars driving straight through blatantly red lights, it's only i matter of time before someone gets t-boned.
    And another one i have begun to see a lot, is drivers at the top of a cue of traffic taking off when they see pedestrian lights go green, they're obviously not paying any attention suddenly see green and go, i've nearly been run over twice crossing the road when that happens! It happens a lot at the junction between the grange road and nutgrove avenue in Rathfarnham!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

lexus lights! fog lights on in non-foggy conditions! unnecessarily loud exhausts! i could go on but its better this way!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Whiners who criticise other peoples driving in the solemn belief that they never make a mistake themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

^ Him and
    people who cut the corner turning right forcing cars on that road to stop. Happens to me all the time. They usually don't even realise what they have done. Morons

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

jimbo78 wrote: »
    ^ Him and

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

kaizersoze wrote: »
    :D

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

People who tailgate at all speeds and in all weather conditions. A guy wrecked my car and nearly killed me years ago in the UK as a result of doing that. I had to do an emergency stop and he hit me so hard that the drining seat collapsed, leaving me on the back seat rolling up the road. I would take their licences off them for b****y life:mad:

Advertisement