Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Most annoying thing on the road?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

• Bad lane dicipline at roundabouts and other places.
    • Not indicating at roundabouts.
    • People who stop at roundabouts for no reason and are nervous in general (non L drivers here). Too nervous? - GTF off the road, you shouldnt be there.
    • People pulling out in front of traffic at junctions and then driving slowly.
    • People stopping to let out traffic when there is a visible gap behind them, thereby holding up the flow of traffic unnecessarily.
    • Dawdlers who make no effort to keep in and allow faster traffic to get by where possible.
    • Slow reaction at traffic lights and unnescessarily slow driving around towns.
    • People who drive large jeeps/SUVs and think that because they have a bigger vehicle they have right of way in all situations.

In general the most frustrating thing I find (outside Dublin anyway) is that people worsen congestion by not being observant. For example, I watch the traffic lights for the opposite set to go amber, and put the car in gear, ready to go. Its unreal the amount of people who take 5+ secs to pull away from the lights from when it turns green. If there is a gap in traffic that I see behind me I will not stop the few cars behind me to let someone out, as it is not necessary since they will get out anyway.

There are more examples but if everyone did these simple things more cars would get through each time, meaning less stopping and better flowing traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

- Tailgating

- Blatantly breaking red lights; eg. I saw one idiot there during the week speeding through the junction at Harcourt street. The lights had been red for a couple of seconds and there were plenty of pedestrians around at the time.

- Also, if you are stopped at a T-junction, trying to turn right into a main road from a minor road, and the cars approaching from your left turning into the minor road cut the corner and nearly clip the front corner of your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

- Tailgating

- Blatantly breaking red lights; eg. I saw one idiot there during the week speeding through the junction at Harcourt street. The lights had been red for a couple of seconds and there were plenty of pedestrians around at the time.

- Also, if you are stopped at a T-junction, trying to turn right into a main road from a minor road, and the cars approaching from your left turning into the minor road cut the corner and nearly clip the front corner of your car.[/QUOTE]

christ i had this literally within a half hour of my driving test a few years ago, i wasnt even quite up to the junction and this baditch used the junction as a corner, was lifting it, no way did she have enough control to avoid me if i was another 6 feet ahead. both me and the instuctor were fuming! one of the craziest pieces of driving i have ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Without a doubt people who

1. Hog the middle of the road in an attempt to block you from overtaking.
    2. People who accelerate when you are overtaking them.
    3. People who hog the overtaking lane, even with a line of traffic attempting to get past.

In the case of no 2, I nearly got killed a few years ago when a girl in a Polo accelerated when I overtook. Nearly had a head on with a lorry. In my mind she should have been put off the road for 5 years.

Thankfully I'm driving a 320d now so at least I have a bit of power should the situation need it.:D

PaulKK wrote: »
    • Bad lane dicipline at roundabouts and other places.
    • Not indicating at roundabouts.
    • People who stop at roundabouts for no reason and are nervous in general (non L drivers here). Too nervous? - GTF off the road, you shouldnt be there.
    • People pulling out in front of traffic at junctions and then driving slowly.
    • People stopping to let out traffic when there is a visible gap behind them, thereby holding up the flow of traffic unnecessarily.
    • Dawdlers who make no effort to keep in and allow faster traffic to get by where possible.
    • Slow reaction at traffic lights and unnescessarily slow driving around towns.
    • People who drive large jeeps/SUVs and think that because they have a bigger vehicle they have right of way in all situations.

In general the most frustrating thing I find (outside Dublin anyway) is that people worsen congestion by not being observant. For example, I watch the traffic lights for the opposite set to go amber, and put the car in gear, ready to go. Its unreal the amount of people who take 5+ secs to pull away from the lights from when it turns green. If there is a gap in traffic that I see behind me I will not stop the few cars behind me to let someone out, as it is not necessary since they will get out anyway.

There are more examples but if everyone did these simple things more cars would get through each time, meaning less stopping and better flowing traffic.

agree with all that, but some is very nit-picking. often letting people out even though theres a gap coming doesnt make a major difference because your all going to hit traffic again very soon.

i wouldnt mind slow driving in urban areas too much either because it usually doesnt make a difference in the bigger picture. slow driving is far far worse on 100km/h roads and the slow idiots dont know its perfectly legal to pull into the hard shoulder to let the frustated flow through.

listen to lyric fm if need be :):cool:

• Advertisement

Niall1234 wrote: »
    Without a doubt people who

1. Hog the middle of the road in an attempt to block you from overtaking.
    2. People who accelerate when you are overtaking them.
    3. People who hog the overtaking lane, even with a line of traffic attempting to get past.

In the case of no 2, I nearly got killed a few years ago when a girl in a Polo accelerated when I overtook. Nearly had a head on with a lorry. In my mind she should have been put off the road for 5 years.

Thankfully I'm driving a 320d now so at least I have a bit of power should the situation need it.:D

oh god yeah. no2 happens a lot on rural roads, some idiots take they are just superb drivers, when they see the car next to them, they think Feck off im better than you. its crazy.

i had this spa in a SUV 3.0l at least(me in an astra 1.4:o) i come up to him on the overtaking lane on a motorway(yes, not fast lane, mr.spastic). he doesnt move for like a minute. i know what i did after this was illegal but i tried overtaking on the left lane, dropped a gear and went for it. he boots it leaving me for dust even though i was doing almost 100mph trying. this happened exactly the same twice more after.

what a dickhead. swap cars and see hes so great. this all happened because someone a) treats the overtaking lane as "the fast lane" and b) has a powerful wagon, thinks hes great, probably has a small penis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

When I have a person who wants to pass (to be honest it doesn't happen too often) I do my best to leave the person past as I know how frustrating it can be.

I'll often drop the speed a bit in order to let them past a bit faster.

Overtaking on the left, while illegal, is the only thing to do when you've exhausted flashing your lights etc at the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

1.people who purposely drive into the eazypass lane on the M50 without a tag and then at the last second try to get out just before the barrier

2.anyone over 70 should nt be driving imo(and before the pc brigade are on over 70s wont be on this site either so they wont see it)

3.people who pick there noses and eat their snot at traffic lights

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Slow drivers, fast drivers that flash to get out of the fast lane on the M1, even though it's blatently obvious I am in the process of overtaking a nearby truck, no indication, no indication at roundabouts is prolly the most annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

bigkev49 wrote: »

Ugly birds driving Minis.

rofl, yeah. Only hot chicks should drive them, I get so disappointed when I see a mini with a crap bird driving them :(

(Soz double post I am tired)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I find that people who indicate incorrectly on roundabouts angers me much more then people who dont bother to indicate at all. The funny thing is if most on here that have a problem with indications on roundabouts were tested id say at least 50% indicate incorrectly or take the wrong lane on entry/exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

People not using indicators pisses me off immensely, it just shows absolutely no consideration for other drivers. How fecking hard is it to pull that small lever before making a turn, and not confuse the other driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

pebbles21 wrote: »

2.anyone over 70 should nt be driving imo(and before the pc brigade are on over 70s wont be on this site either so they wont see it)

I know one gentleman who's in his late 70's, and you'll not be able to keep up with him.... I know I can't. He drives so fast that he's got racing brake pads in the car!

Oh, he also still drives the car he made (yes he built his own car!) in the '50's

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

I love these whinging threads !!! Let he who is witout sin !!!

We really should have a "moaning" section section under Motors ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

CPG wrote: »
    We really should have a "moaning" section section under Motors ! :D

or a motors section under moaning...

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

For me, it's the lack of indicators on roundabouts. Or in some case, the use of indicators on roundabouts!

Why do alot of people indicate right when they are going straight through and why when they are taking the third exit, do they fail to indicate at all!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

People who won't, can't or don't understand merging.

"I'm sorry my lane moved quicker than yours, but now they are both merging in to one lane. Stop driving up the hole of the person in front of you and let me in.... There we go.... now stop driving beside me.... There we go, now stop flashing your lights and waving your fist at me"

Usually over 50's men in big saloons who haven't a clue how to drive without bullying people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Since the upgrade of the Naas dual carriageway to three lanes it's obvious that a huge percentage of Irish motorists haven't got an iota how to use a three lane road. If they're not chugging along in the middle lane instead of the inside one they're out in the third lane using it as their own personal highway.

And while I'm at it, are they ever going to put a realistic speed limit on that road? 100 kph on a three lane road which becomes 120 kph when it goes down to two lanes beyond Naas. Very Irish! Not, of course, that our outside lane hoggers ever adhere to 100 kph anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

There is a traffic light controlled junction near me with a right turn lane.
    It has a seperate red for the right turn so you need to stay behind the stop line and that is where the sensor is.
    It changes after about 2 mins or when there is a gap in the on coming traffic and a car is waiting to turn right, 5 seconds after the last car a passes through you'll get a green.
    Yes I turn right there a lot :D
    You'll sometimes find someone stranded in the middle of the junction, they seem to be the same people who'll ignore the red and turn anyway when there is a gap.
    But what is really annoying is when some one turning right stops half a mile before the stop line and everyone ends up stuck behind them for five minutes as big gaps in the on coming traffic come and go.
    Luckly it doesn't happen too often.

ollaetta wrote: »
    Since the upgrade of the Naas dual carriageway to three lanes it's obvious that a huge percentage of Irish motorists haven't got an iota how to use a three lane road. If they're not chugging along in the middle lane instead of the inside one they're out in the third lane using it as their own personal highway.

And while I'm at it, are they ever going to put a realistic speed limit on that road? 100 kph on a three lane road which becomes 120 kph when it goes down to two lanes beyond Naas. Very Irish! Not, of course, that our outside lane hoggers ever adhere to 100 kph anyway!

its ok to stay in the middle lane, isnt it?? ill hold my hand up, im not sure.

• Advertisement

VeVeX wrote: »
    I find that people who indicate incorrectly on roundabouts angers me much more then people who dont bother to indicate at all. The funny thing is if most on here that have a problem with indications on roundabouts were tested id say at least 50% indicate incorrectly or take the wrong lane on entry/exit.

agreed. most of the people who dont indiciate probably could do so correctly, just couldnt be bothered. its the nervous crap drivers who think they are making things better by incorrectly indicating.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

People - usually women :D - who pull out from a side road causing you to brake hard even though they saw you clearly - and then continue on at 55 in a 100 zone - happens at least twice a week to me - WHY DO THEY DO IT :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

It has to be no indicators on roundabouts & people not putting their lights on when it is dusk/dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

corcaigh07 wrote: »

The middle lane is absolutely fine for faster moving traffic. My beef is with the slow tools who should be using the inside lane but insist in remaining in the middle one holding up traffic behind.

I don't know if it's because we only got dual carriageways and motorways so relatively recently here that so many drivers think all lanes can be used equally but it is a seriously annoying (and dangerous) habit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

People who REFUSE to make progress on a road and have a line of traffic behind them because theyre either too slow or because theyre not capeable of overtaknig the 40 M.P.H. tractor in front of them.

These people always seem to be driving fiat cinquecento's, old beat up farmers corollas or small ****e korean cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

People in the above cars who overtake you and then hold you up come the first hill climb

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    ollaetta wrote: »
    The middle lane is absolutely fine for faster moving traffic.

No, No and NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The inside lane is the one to use unless you are overtaking. The middle lane is for use ONLY when overtaking traffic on the inside lane. The outside lane is for use when overtaking traffic in the middle lane (who should only be using it for overtaking traffic in the inside lane).

Some serious driver education is required in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I agree with the earlier comments about the traffic skippers. The ones that stay in the wrong lane on purpose to skip traffic and then try cut in by bullying people in the correct lane.

Happens constantly around my area, and it infuriates me. Also the people who actually let them get away with it and let them cut in. They annoy me just as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Sagat06 wrote: »
    A car coming around a roundabout indicating right and gets off the exit before while still indicating right... in the meantime you miss your gap cos this tool is too lazy to indicate off the roundabout.

I'd do time thats all i'm saying!!!!

People in the wrong lane at roundabouts and people at roundabouts who dont indicate at all!!!

Also people using bus lanes until they see the garda up ahead and try to get back into the proper lane and nobody lets them in! Brings a smile to my face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

thelurcher wrote: »
    People - usually women :D - who pull out from a side road causing you to brake hard even though they saw you clearly - and then continue on at 55 in a 100 zone - happens at least twice a week to me - WHY DO THEY DO IT :confused:

i dont know :rolleyes: but the worst thing is they sit there patiently until youre right on top of them and all of a sudden, their patience runs out, the go "feck it" and make a last second dash for it which ends in your aforementioned hard braking to avoid them :eek:.

then to rub it in with salt they drive extremely slow holding you up after that. what was the bloody rush for in the first place? :confused:

Advertisement