Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Most annoying thing on the road?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I hate "Good Samaritans" that insist on letting EVERYONE out. Especially those that jam on the brakes at the last second to let someone out of say a housing estate. I was behind such a do-gooder on the Belgard Rd, while in the left lane waiting to turn onto the Naad Road at Neelands Cross. He insisted on letting everyone into the lane and I missed the lights twice because of it- there's a 4 minute cycle on those lights!

Also on the topic of that lane- when I am going down towards the lights and even though there is not enough room for them, cars barge their nose in front of me without notice to try and bully their way into my lane, making me jam on the brakes. INDICATING DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE RIGHT OF WAY! I also nearly got creamed by a lorry and a Merc who did this without even checking their blind spot, I had to blow on the horn before they bothered looking over their shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tiredmam

Ok, after reading all the replies here i can add to this thread.
    I get in the car every morning wondering what eegit i will meet today!!
    I get it that some people are having a bad day, a lot on their mind etc.....but we are all driving killing machines and i take it very seriously.

* Tailgating is my pet hate, especially when i have a huge ''Baby on Board'' sign.
    * Drivers with full headlights on during the day, and night and never dim them.
    * I saw tosspots never even slowing up coming to a minor roundabout.
    * Another tosspot yesterday drove straight through a crossroads, i had the right of way, i beeped at him and he never even recognised what he did. He was only a few feet away from me.
    *Ditto about what someone else said about jeeps and SUV's, just for show for them really, to carry their big mouths/heads.
    *People who zip in and out of traffic on the motorway with no indicators.:eek:
    *Basically people who dont understand the rules of the road--you know who they are-- my husband had an arguement with a woman who told HIM HE was in the wrong, and that she did not have to yield at the roundabout!!! FFS.
    * Bullies on the road, i dont care if you are in a hurry im not breaking the speed limit and getting a fine and points just for you!!!

Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

tiredmam wrote: »
    especially when i have a huge ''Baby on Board'' sign.

I agree with everything you say but am questioning this bit- what is the purpose of a "Baby on Board" sign???

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lostinspace

People who drive on the road with an untied ladder on their roof. I was driving to work on Tuesday morning, in the fast lane on a dual carriageway. A guy in a 4x4 joined the dual carriageway from a slip road and came onto the slow lane. He built up some speed until he was doing about 120kmh. He passed me out in the slow lane and then veered into the fast lane in front of me. As he did that, the ladder on his roof came off and and onto the road in front of me. I had to swerve into the slow lane to avoid, missing the ladder by inches. A van behind me hit it and did a bit of damage to the front bumper. He was some b*llox, not bothering to tie down the ladder to his roof. I'm not sure where he thought he was going. I hate when that happens...

I agree with everything you say but am questioning this bit- what is the purpose of a "Baby on Board" sign???

I think, well i hope that people would be more cautious. Like not tail gate me. :D
    I admit if i saw a car with precious cargo on board(children of course) i would give extra distance and break much further back if coming to a stop.

• Advertisement

And.. glad you agree with me bigpinkelephant ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I agree with the earlier comments about the traffic skippers. The ones that stay in the wrong lane on purpose to skip traffic and then try cut in by bullying people in the correct lane.

Happens constantly around my area, and it infuriates me. Also the people who actually let them get away with it and let them cut in. They annoy me just as much.

It's all well and good giving out about the people who eventually let them in but the reality is that if nobody let's them in, they are probably blocking a massive line of traffic who are in the correct lane for where they want to go. I do agree though that the people who deliberately do this are grade A b@stards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I think, well i hope that people would be more cautious. Like not tail gate me. :D
    I admit if i saw a car with precious cargo on board(children of course) i would give extra distance and break much further back if coming to a stop.

LOL, class!:D
    why should it matter? if your already driving safely in the first place, theres no need to give extra distance and brake much further back. unless its a long vehicle sign, any other sign shouldnt change your driving behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    why should it matter? if your already driving safely in the first place, theres no need to give extra distance and brake much further back. unless its a long vehicle sign, any other sign shouldnt change your driving behaviour.
    Exactly.

The whole 'baby on board' sign thing (I'm led to believe) originated in Germany where people would put up the sign if they were carrying small children when travelling on the autobahn; in the event of a 'typical' autobahn crash (ie: multiple vehicle pile-up) it was intended to alert the emergence services to the presence of a small person in the wreckage. Being conscientious followers of the rules, the signs weren't used otherwise.
    These days of course, the whole world is displaying them all the time no matter whether they're actually carrying a baby or not, so their currency is considerably devalued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

javaboy wrote: »
    It's all well and good giving out about the people who eventually let them in but the reality is that if nobody let's them in, they are probably blocking a massive line of traffic who are in the correct lane for where they want to go. I do agree though that the people who deliberately do this are grade A b@stards.

I probably should have been more clear its the people who let them in straight away that annoy me. I realise they have to be let in eventually but not before they are made look like a f*uckin ignorant prat.

• Advertisement

corcaigh07 wrote: »

Yes, but what if the car had a screaming baby in it, the person driving might be doing the turning around in the seat while driving thing. Seen it happening where they have to swerve or jam on the brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Yes, but what if the car had a screaming baby in it, the person driving might be doing the turning around in the seat while driving thing. Seen it happening where they have to swerve or jam on the brakes.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Rovi wrote: »
    The whole 'baby on board' sign thing (I'm led to believe) originated in Germany where people would put up the sign if they were carrying small children when travelling on the autobahn; in the event of a 'typical' autobahn crash (ie: multiple vehicle pile-up) it was intended to alert the emergence services to the presence of a small person in the wreckage. Being conscientious followers of the rules, the signs weren't used otherwise.
    These days of course, the whole world is displaying them all the time no matter whether they're actually carrying a baby or not, so their currency is considerably devalued.

Never knew that... that's quite interesting! Another example of the sensible Germans at work !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

People who drive on the road with an untied ladder on their roof. I was driving to work on Tuesday morning, in the fast lane on a dual carriageway. A guy in a 4x4 joined the dual carriageway from a slip road and came onto the slow lane. He built up some speed until he was doing about 120kmh. He passed me out in the slow lane and then veered into the fast lane in front of me. As he did that, the ladder on his roof came off and and onto the road in front of me. I had to swerve into the slow lane to avoid, missing the ladder by inches. A van behind me hit it and did a bit of damage to the front bumper. He was some b*llox, not bothering to tie down the ladder to his roof. I'm not sure where he thought he was going. I hate when that happens...

He's a lunatic alright for that, but sounds like you should have been in the left lane all along! (not the "slow" lane!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

MY pet hate is

** People who drive with their mirrors tucked in :eek:
    how do they drive for miles without looking behind themselves:rolleyes:
    i see this regularry once drove behind someone for about 6 miles and they never knew what was behind them - they couldnt see what was overtakeing them grrr.
    lady trying to merge with traffic last week on street with her passenger mirror tucked in couldnt see what was behind her so she just slowly merged and hoped for the best :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

PaulKK wrote: »
    • People stopping to let out traffic when there is a visible gap behind them, thereby holding up the flow of traffic unnecessarily.
    Did that once. Sorry. I realised what I had done and learned the lesson.

pebbles21 wrote: »
    1.people who purposely drive into the eazypass lane on the M50 without a tag and then at the last second try to get out just before the barrier
    Yes, vermin.

pebbles21 wrote: »
    2.anyone over 70 should nt be driving imo
    My mother is 79, drives efficiently and as fast as the speed limits allow and has never had an accident. Also, I'm 51 and am starting to get sensitive about comments like this. (In a desperate attempt to resist the ageing process, I just bought a Leon FR petrol 200 bhp.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Nissan Micras

This isn't perhaps relevant to the topic but what is the point indeed! My parents had five of us and would have more if my father hadn't inconsiderately died, my present girlfriend is one of seven and a previous girlfriend was one of ten. Those signs bring out bad thoughts in me, like when I see some forty-something tool on Grafton Street with a sprog strapped to his chest in a designer carrier. Managing to find out how to spawn is not rocket science. They do it all the time in Neilstown and Darndale and they haven't even had a private education. You haven't found a cure for cancer or discovered nuclear fusion. We don't care!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kudzRS

idiots that wont move out of the overtaking lane and travel the same speed that the car beside them is doing :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

kudzRS wrote: »
    idiots that wont move out of the overtaking lane and travel the same speed that the car beside them is doing :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

a big X2^

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

Members of an Garda Siochana on their mobile phones when driving.

Saw one this morning - certainly wasn't the first time either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Redpunto wrote: »
    Nissan Micras

Seconded!:D

Also people that give out about SUV's, get over it, its a big car, shock horror someone likes spending money on something showy! Get a life, maybe if you werent stuck in a ****box micra you would'nt hate SUVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I hate when I'm driving and people see my L-plates, which autmatically turns them into an idiot. It's like they see the plates and automatically assume I am a bad, slow driver and they will do anything they can to get past me instantly without even waiting to see what sort of a driver I am. I'm constantly being overtaken with cars coming against me, on bends, through small villages...you name it. And 9 times out of 10 I end up catching up with the driver after a few miles.

Does anyone know the little village Golden on the Tipperary to Limerick road? It has a very sharp L shaped bridge. I have had idiots try to overtake me on that.

I'm not gonna allude to the fact that I'm a perfect driver, but with 2 years experience I'm not the worst. Either way, I definitely definitely definitely don't drive slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭veryangryman

astraboy wrote: »
    Seconded!:D

Also people that give out about SUV's, get over it, its a big car, shock horror someone likes spending money on something showy! Get a life, maybe if you werent stuck in a ****box micra you would'nt hate SUVs.

If you werent a pretentious prick, you wouldnt need SUVs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

D_murph wrote: »
    a big X2^

I often see people merging on to the M50 and pulling straight in to the overtaking lane WHEN THERE'S NO TRAFFIC IN THE SLOW LANE! Does my head in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 shamboo

I often see people merging on to the M50 and pulling straight in to the overtaking lane WHEN THERE'S NO TRAFFIC IN THE SLOW LANE! Does my head in

I had this happen to me yesterday. I came on to the m50/n11 at Loughlinstown and this ar*ehole just tore out past me into the outside lane. I stayed in the inside lane and passed him and when I did eventually have to go to the outside lane, due to traffic in the left lane, I moved safely and leaving good distance between me and ar*ehole, procedded on to the overtaking lane. He then has the nerve to start flashing me and speeding up to tailgate me. Thought the p***k a lesson though. As he was waving his fist in the air at me I slammed on my brakes. I reckon by the frightened look on his face he won't be tailgating or being abusive to any other drivers for a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

shamboo wrote: »
    Thought the p***k a lesson though. As he was waving his fist in the air at me I slammed on my brakes. I reckon by the frightened look on his face he won't be tailgating or being abusive to any other drivers for a bit.
    *pulls up chair*
    *puts up feet*
    *opens popcorn*
    *awaits onslaught*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 shamboo

If it's like this with 2 lanes imagine the carnage when they open 3 lanes on the m50! 2 outside lanes full of twats! Lovely.

Advertisement