Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most hated anime

Options
  • 09-05-2008 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭

Those series you wish you'd never seen...that make you want to rip the eyeballs out of your skull just to wash them clean.

Mine...

Galaxy Express 999: Watched it one night at AMS, and the best thing about this railroad to the stars was the spontaneous MST that developed while we were watching. The kid was a deadly...literally... he could've made the ndeadly viper assassination squad... Maetel was admittedly hot... but creepy steam train to the stars is not my thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭IronWolf

martian successor nadesico

or

Elfin Lied

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

IronWolf wrote: »

Elfin Lied

Seconded.

Oh an koi koi seven. If ever their was a show designed to be watched hammered, this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Naruto Shippuden or Lucky Star is the correct answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

IronWolf wrote: »
    Elfin Lied

Think you've got the wrong thread...

Mine would have to be One Piece... I didn't even make it past the opening credits of the first episode.

tman wrote: »

Mine would have to be One Piece... I didn't even make it past the opening credits of the first episode.

So you hate an anime based on everything that happens before the credits? Think you've got the wrong forum, here is where you were looking for :p .

I'm sorry but if you completely discredit someone else's opinion and then make a ridiculous comment like that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

You can tell a lot by the opening credits - animation style, target audience...
    The 60 seconds that I watched were enough to make me realise that this most definitely wouldn't be my cup of tea, so I switched it off before wasting another 20 minutes of my life. I don't "hate" any anime as such, but this is the only show that I've ever avoided in this way.

Elfen Lied is pretty much my favourite series of all time, so I find it hard to believe that anybody could hate a show of its calibre when there's so much rubbish out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep. Elfen Lied was a fantastic series and probably has one of the most beautiful opening sequences of all time.

And Lucky Star was a fantastic satire on anime... I guess if you didn't know what it was poking fun at most of the time it would fall a bit flat. Martian Successor Nadesico was also a great satire of space anime and mecha anime, but despite all that had some fantastic science in it too.

Urotsukidoji would probably be the worst I can think of off the top of my head. It's the sort of trash that gives anime in general a bad name.

Oh.. and there was a series I tried watching once about cyberneticly enhanced boxers I think.... It just seemed to be very dull and took itself far to seriously.

The opening sequence was great, but I just thought that the rest of it was rubbish. Its crude, uncouth gore/nude fest nature, clichéd and flat characters and shoddy attempts at depth via symbolism seemingly inserted as an afterthought(If here one more person compare it to Lord of the Flies I swear I am going to scream) completely put me off it. Maybe I should give it another go?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Chobits.

I need say no more, I win.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Happiness!
    I hate it.
    I hate the cliche premise.
    I hate the shoddy animation.
    I hate the hyper-screechy voices (annoying to this non-Moonspeaker)
    I hate the Engrish in the OP.
    Strangely enough, I don't hate (epic trap) Jun Watarase -- I merely tolerate him/her/it.

Can I nominate "shonen anime that takes itself too seriously and/or draws fights out for an entire week/month"? Cos then I can include rubbish like Beyblade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

You know I was going to let loose on the people bashing Elfin Lied but god damn your failure is in another dimension. I hated the artwork in One Piece and I was annoyed by the cartooney ship in the OP too. Before I actually WATCHED IT. Don't be a n00b. It broke all kinds of sales records for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

yugioh is totally way more hateable than any other anime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

DingChavez wrote: »
    You know I was going to let loose on the people bashing Elfin Lied but god damn your failure is in another dimension. I hated the artwork in One Piece and I was annoyed by the cartooney ship in the OP too. Before I actually WATCHED IT. Don't be a n00b. It broke all kinds of sales records for a reason.

Gum Gum storm! Oh yes, **** you Crocodile. :D

One piece rocks.

Most Hated = Cat Soup. The animation is poor and the ending, damn!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Most Hated = Cat Soup. The animation is poor and the ending, damn!

Loved Cat Soup myself, so very strange. The guys behind it are making Kaiba too, which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hear hear for Kaiba!

And guys, don't be dissing Yu-Gi-Oh. After all, without it we wouldn't have the Abridged Series :D(same goes for Naruto!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Dartz wrote: »
    Those series you wish you'd never seen...that make you want to rip the eyeballs out of your skull just to wash them clean.
    Dragonball Z! Watched it once... What a joke!

Rhyme wrote: »
    Loved Cat Soup myself, so very strange. The guys behind it are making Kaiba too, which is nice.

I like Kaiba. Its awesome and the style seems old but smooth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

one piece was edited alot most it came out almost like a diff show

the only thing that made sense was renaming zoro to zolo who call a guy with swords zoro

The opening sequence was great, but I just thought that the rest of it was rubbish. Its crude, uncouth gore/nude fest nature, clichéd and flat characters and shoddy attempts at depth via symbolism seemingly inserted as an afterthought(If here one more person compare it to Lord of the Flies I swear I am going to scream) completely put me off it. Maybe I should give it another go?

I don't think the gore and nudity was designed to be titillating... in fact it was all very much an uncomfortable experience.

I struggling here to see how anyone could draw a comparison to lord of the flies though...

Of course.. without Elfen Lied we wouldn't have Nana's Everyday Life:

http://manga.clone-army.org/nana.php

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Urotsukidoji would probably be the worst I can think of off the top of my head. It's the sort of trash that gives anime in general a bad name.

Yup. Utter garbage. A group of us sat through that just laughing at the ****ness. Legend of the Overfiend is not 'mature' animation at all - it is just pointless, needlessly offensive and muddled. Awful stuff.

• Advertisement

Yup. Utter garbage. A group of us sat through that just laughing at the ****ness. Legend of the Overfiend is not 'mature' animation at all - it is just pointless, needlessly offensive and muddled. Awful stuff.

Yeah. I saw it back in the early 90s when Manga Video first started releasing films.

My local Xtravision was pretty awesome and had pretty much all the stuff that was released available for rent.

The first title I rented out was Akira, which of course blew me away... so then I went and picked up the Overfiend expecting a similar experience...... oh dear... The story opens on a guy masturbating in a laundry basket.. great...

I think that being one of the first high profile anime releases over this side of the world did a lot of damage to the reputation of anime, and it's can still be felt to this day.

The first title I rented out was Akira, which of course blew me away... so then I went and picked up the Overfiend expecting a similar experience...... oh dear... The story opens on a guy masturbating in a laundry basket.. great...

Akira was **** besides the scent where the biker whips out the grenade that doesn't go off. That was funny and thanks for reminding me of the overfiend the funniest piece of animation ever. "Oh look! For some reason my clothes ripped into bits..."

• Registered Users Posts: 82,489 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yugioh was definitely a waste of time after school that could have better been spent masturbating. or socializing. or studying. smoking pot. whatever.

Yugioh is one I never fully got.

I have no problems with Dragonball though as I love Toriyama's character designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Zionyde

I may or may not get slated for this one, but I've gotta say that I think Fist Of The North star was utter garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I have no problems with Dragonball though as I love Toriyama's character designs.

Same here, after Chrono Trigger, Toriyama can't do much wrong really.

Zionyde wrote: »
    I may or may not get slated for this one, but I've gotta say that I think Fist Of The North star was utter garbage.

Yep. Another one of those early Manga Video releases that I thought was utterly stupid.

I'm trying to think what good ones they brought out back then... 3x3 Eyes wasn't bad... neither was Project A-Ko I guess....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Zionyde

Actually, you're right about 3x3 eyes.. That was pretty cool...
    Have you ever seen the original Appleseed OAV?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

3x3 Eyes - pure gold.

One Piece, gave it a ten episode test to get past the irritating animation style and obnoxious protagonist, it didn't change. I know it's popular, presumably in the younger teen bracket.

• Advertisement

CuLT wrote: »
    One Piece, gave it a ten episode test to get past the irritating animation style and obnoxious protagonist, it didn't change. I know it's popular, presumably in the younger teen bracket.

Given its immense popularity, with the record for most copies sold of a single domestic volume (2,630,000) and 140,000,000 volumes sold in total, it is quite clear that its popularity has substantialy exceeded the overly-simple pidgeon hole of "younger teen".

Advertisement