Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! What Are the Attic Vents for?

Options
  • 09-05-2008 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

hi

this morning went to the upstairs loo at about 6.30am to discover
    water dripping from the ceiling from around the square glass box directly above the toilet. Got up on the attic immediately and identified
    source.

There are 3 vents going from attic to outer roof
    1 For kitchen extractor
    2. For bathroom extractor
    and the 3rd I am trying to figure out this is the one that goes the whole way from outer roof over to side wall (i am in a 2 bed).

Water appeared to be coming in from roof I presume down the vent and
    lodged at this point weighing down the vent and causing it to crack.

Can someone help me and tell me what the third vent is for???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

depnding on where you are in Charlesland, the one for the kitchen might actually not be connected to anything. It might be connected to the downstairs toilet.

The third vent connection is for the soil vent pipe i.e. the pipe for the crapper.

Does sound like the water is coming in the extractor fan vent duct and lodging - go outside and have a look at your roof...check all the vents, they should be covered to prevent rainwater from entering (The Park have different vent covers and this may be an inherent problem with the design/orientation of the vent)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Somewhat related -
    The builders/kitchen people never fitted the extractor fan in the kitchen to the vent. I am going to do myself, but need to get the nerve to cut into the cieling above the fan and hook up the vent. Biggest worry is that if I go into the cieling there will be nothing there..Like the OP i have 3 vents in the attic. Has anyone in the park/grove had to to this? I called Durkan and told them but they said it was not their problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

bloggj wrote: »
    hi

this morning went to the upstairs loo at about 6.30am to discover
    water dripping from the ceiling from around the square glass box directly above the toilet. Got up on the attic immediately and identified
    source.

There are 3 vents going from attic to outer roof
    1 For kitchen extractor
    2. For bathroom extractor
    and the 3rd I am trying to figure out this is the one that goes the whole way from outer roof over to side wall (i am in a 2 bed).

Water appeared to be coming in from roof I presume down the vent and
    lodged at this point weighing down the vent and causing it to crack.

Can someone help me and tell me what the third vent is for???

Thought there should be 4 vents..

1. dowstairs jacks
    2. Upstairs jacks
    3. Kitchen fan.
    4. Gas fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 daraghm

Thought there should be 4 vents..

1. dowstairs jacks
    2. Upstairs jacks
    3. Kitchen fan.
    4. Gas fire.

The gas fires in the Wood are flueless, they have a built in scrubber - a bit like a catalytic convertor in a car - that removes the nasties. The chimney brest is there for show mainly, although some of the drainage pipes from upstairs are hidden behind it. Not sure what type of gas fires were used in other parts of the estate though.

D.

daraghm wrote: »
    The gas fires in the Wood are flueless, they have a built in scrubber - a bit like a catalytic convertor in a car - that removes the nasties. The chimney brest is there for show mainly, although some of the drainage pipes from upstairs are hidden behind it. Not sure what type of gas fires were used in other parts of the estate though.

D.

Never knew that now... Thanx for the info...;)

In the process of converting the attic and never even noticed the fake chimney... Did notice the venting pipes or should i say the lack of..
    When I was insulating and putting up the plaster board I noticed one of the pipes had split from the amount of tension on it from being cut short..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bloggj

thanks for the info:>
    Likewise i rang Durkans who were the same - not our problem we cant deal with things like this 3 years on! Told me to contact the mgt co (really if
    i lived in an apartment may see this as being under mgt cos remit but seriously in a house I dont think i would have much grounds to call in mgt co
    for an issue on the attic!) anyway lets hope it doesnt rain. going to get a roofer out on monday to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

:eek: YUCK, i was up in the attic recently and noticed mine had fallen down from roof and are lying on attic floor - better get someone to check them out pronto :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

I'm convinced my neighbours kitchen extractor vent goes through my attic. I can smell everything they cook.
    Our piping is far too long, goes all over the attic (Must have got yours Welsh Wizard!), are the fans even strong enough to push that distance?! Our bathroom fan is really weak.

Perhaps one of their pipes have come off the vent connection..
    The attics aren't so gap free shall we say...

The downstairs fans do have enough pushing power, but not by much...
    For instance if there was a breeze outside blowing in towards your vent it would stop any bad odours from coming out...

Advertisement