Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statues in dublin windows...???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hdunne

have to say this is so funny, talk about nothing better to do with a digital camera!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Not a statue in a window, but a gastly Skangermobile in Portmarnock...

Nothing say's 'LOOK, I'M A WANKER' like this....

attachment.php?attachmentid=56902&d=1211930099

Most likely his mother (note I didn't say 'parents') has stautes in her window's too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

57322.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Okaaaay. hmmm. Maybe not so big next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Mairt wrote: »
    Not a statue in a window, but a gastly Skangermobile in Portmarnock...

Nothing say's 'LOOK, I'M A WANKER' like this....

attachment.php?attachmentid=56902&d=1211930099

Most likely his mother (note I didn't say 'parents') has stautes in her window's too.

wheres his front plate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Bambi wrote: »
    wheres his front plate?
    He doesn't need one, sure everyone knows that's Anto's car. :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

^ Lmfao :d

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Anyone know about these statues??
    http://www.todayfm.com/article.asp?id=373929

Just moved to Dub and they're everywhere!

What's it about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The same reason many council houses have those Roman pillars, to look classy :)
    It's up to you to decide if it works or not

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nocal

First heard of these a few months back when my little brother was trying to tell me that they were in the windows of houses that were fronting for knocking shops in his estate. These premises were all supposed to be run by some of the more recent arrivals in this country. This smacks of urban myth to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

nocal wrote: »
    First heard of these a few months back when my little brother was trying to tell me that they were in the windows of houses that were fronting for knocking shops in his estate. These premises were all supposed to be run by some of the more recent arrivals in this country. This smacks of urban myth to me.

jaysus i hope that's a myth, or else the old woman down the road from me is running a knockin shop! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Its council chic. My parents live in a council estate in D7 and there are house windows full of the statues and nearly as many with the roman pillars. At this point I would like to add that my parents have neither.. though they are partial to having dublin flags and buntins out on match day.

gazzer wrote: »
    Its council chic. My parents live in a council estate in D7 and there are house windows full of the statues and nearly as many with the roman pillars. At this point I would like to add that my parents have neither.. though they are partial to having dublin flags and buntins out on match day.

Does mammy wear a sovereign ring too?.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Does mammy wear a sovereign ring too?.

Elizabeth Duke all the way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭euph

Mairt, next time you're around Dublin 8, go down Bridgefoot street (from thomas st/james st towards the quays).

There are some newish apartments and one of them is a real treat to behold. A veritable menagerie of porcelain animals, gnomes, wheelbarrows and if i recall pillars (on an apartment). If you walk past at night they have a beautiful whiter-than-white living room.

On Bridgefoot Street, corner furthest from Thomas St.

Treat us with a picture :p

(PS: You'll also see plenty of the white ladies across the road in Oliver Bond)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Why don't we have a competition to see who can spot the most statues in one house!!! :D:D:D

I'm pretty sure I've passed a house with 5 of these white ladies in the window;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Sundew wrote: »
    Why don't we have a competition to see who can spot the most statues in one house!!! :D:D:D

I'm pretty sure I've passed a house with 5 of these white ladies in the window;)

Sounds like fun. I know of a house with about 6 or 7. Not sure if I can get them all in one pic though as the house is on a corner with statues on 2 sides. I'll try get a photo tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There is (used to be) a heap of them in one of the flats on Greek Street.

euph wrote: »
    Mairt, next time you're around Dublin 8, go down Bridgefoot street (from thomas st/james st towards the quays).

There are some newish apartments and one of them is a real treat to behold. A veritable menagerie of porcelain animals, gnomes, wheelbarrows and if i recall pillars (on an apartment). If you walk past at night they have a beautiful whiter-than-white living room.

On Bridgefoot Street, corner furthest from Thomas St.

Treat us with a picture :p

(PS: You'll also see plenty of the white ladies across the road in Oliver Bond)

I know it well.

Are you from Bridgefoot St?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

There is (used to be) a heap of them in one of the flats on Greek Street.
    Were they Greek statues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Mairt wrote: »
    Took a photo of this monsterosity in Finglas south this evening, it has it all - AND MORE!..

Statues in every window, roman pillars and whatever 'da fook those coloured bricks are called!..

attachment.php?attachmentid=55856&stc=1&d=1210475802
    Jeez what's the story with the horrible looking decoration thingy on the facias, it's like something from a scary fairytale story.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

vektarman wrote: »
    Jeez what's the story with the horrible looking decoration thingy on the facias, it's like something from a scary fairytale story.

The ground floor part is made of licorice allsorts and marshmallows. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Here's the front of the house with 5 statues
    DSC00040-1.jpg

And here's the side with 4.
    5+4=9
    Beat that.
    (Didn't realise the lamp post was in the way till I got home)
    DSC00041-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

JAYSUS!!! 001.gif001.gif001.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

nocal wrote: »
    Here's the front of the house with 5 statues
    And here's the side with 4.
    5+4=9
    Beat that.

That's a busy knocking shop then!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

Love the thread!
    When I moved to Dublin almost 4 years ago I was living with my sister in Ashtown, D15 but not really as you know.

On the bus route 120 in from town we once counted what we then called "The Cabra Lady"
    She sat on the left side of the bus and me on the right side.

There were 34 of them little buggers along the bus route.

Love the thread!
    When I moved to Dublin almost 4 years ago I was living with my sister in Ashtown, D15 but not really as you know.

On the bus route 120 in from town we once counted what we then called "The Cabra Lady"

I thought Ashtown was D7?.

I've the camera in the car this weekend, so expect a few more statue pix in the next few days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Love the thread!

Agreed, the 120 route must give the highest Gstatue count per journey of any bus route in dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Do culchies put statues in their windows ?
    The Child of Prague for instance?
    Or maybe a scale model of a Massey Ferguson 135? Or just a photocopy of a grant cheque?

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote: »
    Do culchies put statues in their windows ?
    The Child of Prague for instance?
    Or maybe a scale model of a Massey Ferguson 135? Or just a photocopy of a grant cheque?

This is what a culchie puts in their window...

madcow007.gif

Advertisement