Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statues in dublin windows...???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 hoyden

Hi

Does anyone know if there's any significance to the small statues that can be seen in the windows of loads of houses throughout the city? they're of a white lady reclining draped in cloth. usually the house or flat has them in every window. They're EVERYWHERE and I think they might be a sign for something, e.g. that the house is protected.

Does anyone know?

d

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Its a sign that they were on sale in huge numbers in some cheap shop and that the owners of the house have no bloody taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

We had a big thread on those before didn't we?
    Along with fake grecian pillars on huge porches of tiny houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Swingers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It means the home owner is a Moderator on boards.ie.

• Advertisement

Its peadophile code for "a peadophile dwelleth within".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 SwirlsAllAround

They've been around for years, and if anything seem to be getting more popular as time goes on... I haven't seen them for sale anywhere...I wonder where they're getting them from....Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

They've been around for years, and if anything seem to be getting more popular as time goes on... I haven't seen them for sale anywhere...I wonder where they're getting them from....Anyone know?

Maybe ask the man on the grassy knoll ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 SwirlsAllAround

Mairt wrote: »

I would but if Clueless taught me anything it's that "Loadies generally hang on the grassy knoll over there" and until I know what a loadie is I'll be keeping my distance.

I suppose I could just knock on the door of a house that has them and ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mairt wrote: »
    Myself and my daughter tried that but with no success! :)

Dallas2008.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33 j_cal

Hi,

I'm making a documentary about the mysterious women in the windows. At the moment we are logging all sightings of the statues and recording them on this Google Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=110670130177424522360.00046f102b75928aebd6d&ll=53.349706,-6.276455&spn=0.004009,0.011362&z=17

If you see any statues please add the location to the map, our plan is to visit as many locations as possible to interview the owners....

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

Those reclining white ladies are actually compulsory in any ex-corpo house on the northside. There are particularly dense populations in Cabra, Finglas with some southside friends in Crumlin and Drimnagh.
    These ladies are only sold in pairs or trios because just having one would be tacky.
    The plaster shop on Parnell Street sells them, with plain or gold robes.

j_cal wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm making a documentary about the mysterious women in the windows. At the moment we are logging all sightings of the statues and recording them on this Google Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=110670130177424522360.00046f102b75928aebd6d&ll=53.349706,-6.276455&spn=0.004009,0.011362&z=17

If you see any statues please add the location to the map, our plan is to visit as many locations as possible to interview the owners....

Are you actually out of your mind?

Why not make a documentary about people who wear pajamas going to the shops?
    You can make alist of thier adresses and call round to interview them after they get thier dole..
    Students:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 13 Yobnned

There's a house in Stonepark, just outside of Longford with these white statues. What's de story does anyone know???

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Degsy wrote: »
    Are you actually out of your mind?

Why not make a documentary about people who wear pajamas going to the shops?

Ha. There's actually a documentary about that coming out in the IFI this month.

Ha. There's actually a documentary about that coming out in the IFI this month.

Lol!

Whats it called,"Puke-ahontas"?

Or

The Slag in The Striped Pajamas?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

pmsl here there in my windows aswell :D i never tought there was as much an issuse with them as i do now from readin here like there only staute's iv no idea where the owl one got them from or what the story is behind them but there all over the place

**update** she got them in gerry kane's the wall paper shop there in talbot street no idea what the story is behind them is tho

39675_118440608205391_100001183567361_102581_3970411_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Yobnned wrote: »
    There's a house in Stonepark, just outside of Longford with these white statues. What's de story does anyone know???

I've seen them for sale on a market in Ballinasloe!
    I think I see a pattern emerging ;)

Perhaps Fas should do some courses in "good style for your gaff" or "what your gaff says about you!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Took a photo of this monsterosity in Finglas south this evening, it has it all - AND MORE!..

Statues in every window, roman pillars and whatever 'da fook those coloured bricks are called!..

attachment.php?attachmentid=55856&stc=1&d=1210475802

Drove by this house today and the offending statues have been removed from the windows.

I remember back in the 70's people kept hideous porcalain Dogs in the windows or equally hideous Glass Fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Dyflin wrote: »
    There is (or was) a house on the SCR near James' hospital which had a big fook off statue of the virgin Mary in the window, now that would be a photo worth taking.

Still there - I'll see if I can get a photo sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Degsy wrote: »
    I remember back in the 70's people kept hideous porcalain Dogs in the windows or equally hideous Glass Fish.

Everyone used to have the flying ducks up the wall! But that was indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Not a statue in a window, but a gastly Skangermobile in Portmarnock...

Nothing say's 'LOOK, I'M A WANKER' like this....

attachment.php?attachmentid=56902&d=1211930099

Most likely his mother (note I didn't say 'parents') has stautes in her window's too.

That cars down in the petrol station on Grange Road in Baldoyle a fair bit with all the other boy racers at night. The bloke who drives it looks about 30 and should know better. The noise off its horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rachaelc

Not a statue in a window, but a gastly Skangermobile in Portmarnock...

Nothing say's 'LOOK, I'M A WANKER' like this....

attachment.php?attachmentid=56902&d=1211930099

Most likely his mother (note I didn't say 'parents') has stautes in her window's too.

what you trying to say that single mothers rear ****??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

rachaelc wrote: »

Don't see where he or anyone else said that to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

rachaelc wrote: »

Relax Rachael, nobody wrote that.
    Read the page again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 brixtoncat

Might be controversial to some of you, but I made a short documentary film on the subject of "The Lady on the Rock" as she's known... might provide a lil more insight on the subject :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyIZiB-T1Sk

Advertisement