Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statues in dublin windows...???

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

brixtoncat wrote: »
    Might be controversial to some of you, but I made a short documentary film on the subject of "The Lady on the Rock" as she's known... might provide a lil more insight on the subject :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyIZiB-T1Sk

That's great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

There's a house with them top to bottom on the street parallel/between Jervis and Capel St. I drive down it most evening and always noticed them.

Tbh I always assumed it was some kind of calling card and that the place was a brothel. I hadn't noticed them anywhere else, I'll have to keep an eye out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rookiescribe

There are too many for it to be a brother nut it could signify protection, they are prevelant in gang controlled area's. "Do not burgle this house" could be their message?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

There are too many for it to be a brother nut it could signify protection, they are prevelant in gang controlled area's. "Do not burgle this house" could be their message?

What a load of utter crap tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rookiescribe

Fair enough Degsy, but I'm not seeing any other credible explanations, there are absolurtely hundreds of them round where I live, I would find it harder to believe that everyone just loves them that much... And yes, they are prevelant in gang controlled area's, I know this because certain gang affiliated security companies have strong influence in these area's. I have had personal experience of this both north side and south side, in the the same places I see these statues. Now, do you have any better suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Now, do you have any better suggestions?

Here's a credible explanation from this very thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55940782&postcount=35

Some people just like them and they caught on.

I've noticed lately that on a street near where I live which had loads of them adorning windowsills there are now very few. I think people got bored of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I have had personal experience of this both north side and south side, in the the same places I see these statues. Now, do you have any better suggestions?

Did you ever notice the way most of the residents of these areas wear the same clothing, smoke the same brands of cigarettes and drink the same type of beer, have the same haircuts, have the same worldview? They're 'the mob'-incapable of independent thought and lacking in taste. They don't put up these statues because they think they look good; they do it because they're afraid to be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

They just became a trend in working class areas (as opposed to gang-controlled areas). I doubt there's any secret meaning behind them.
    It's like those crying child paintings back a few decades ago, every house seemed to have one.
    And before that loads of houses would have sacred heart paintings.

Fair enough Degsy, but I'm not seeing any other credible explanations, there are absolurtely hundreds of them round where I live, I would find it harder to believe that everyone just loves them that much... And yes, they are prevelant in gang controlled area's, I know this because certain gang affiliated security companies have strong influence in these area's. I have had personal experience of this both north side and south side, in the the same places I see these statues.

Lol!
    Now, do you have any better suggestions?

That people dont have a lot of taste when it comes to copying thier neighbours,perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Fair enough Degsy, but I'm not seeing any other credible explanations, there are absolurtely hundreds of them round where I live, I would find it harder to believe that everyone just loves them that much... And yes, they are prevelant in gang controlled area's, I know this because certain gang affiliated security companies have strong influence in these area's. I have had personal experience of this both north side and south side, in the the same places I see these statues. Now, do you have any better suggestions?

You don't really believe this do you?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Been developing that theory for 2 years!

You don't really believe this do you?.

Well,the message "do not burgle this house" might be sound advice..the owners obviously havnt a pot to piss in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Fair enough Degsy, but I'm not seeing any other credible explanations, there are absolurtely hundreds of them round where I live, I would find it harder to believe that everyone just loves them that much...

Count how many houses you see with those roman pillars, or those frilly fascia boards. Or how many have a red door. Maybe those are gang signs too.

Advertisement