Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shore fishing tips in order to catch anything

Options
  • 09-05-2008 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

I'm in Galway city, I have a rod and spinners, spoons, and some weights.

What can I catch or what else do I need to catch something from shore, around Galway's shoreline in particular?

Is there any other bait which might be of use to me? something simple I'm not upto the fishing terminology!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I'm in Galway city, I have a rod and spinners, spoons, and some weights.

What can I catch or what else do I need to catch something from shore, around Galway's shoreline in particular?

Is there any other bait which might be of use to me? something simple I'm not upto the fishing terminology!

First off,i'd say lose the spinners.Get yourself some 2/0 hooks and make a three hook trace.This will fish approx three feet of water and give you a much better chance of cathing something.What you need to do is attach three hooks to short peices of line and attach them to your main lina about a foot apart.Attach your weight(3-6oz) to the bottom of your mainline and you're good to go.I dont know what kind of area you have to fish put rocky beaches,shingle and peirs are all good.Bait-wise you'd be as well to dig your own.Mud flats and estuarys are good fro lugworms and ragworms and they'll catch almost anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

I have a 3-hook trace, one I bought as part of a kit, I'll replicate it before I go out.

Lugworms, nice, in Galway I'd say Rosheen bay is the place for these....

Do you need a float? if not how does the bait and hooks stay afloat?

Thanks for the help.

I have a 3-hook trace, one I bought as part of a kit, I'll replicate it before I go out.

Lugworms, nice, in Galway I'd say Rosheen bay is the place for these....

Do you need a float? if not how does the bait and hooks stay afloat?

Thanks for the help.

If you're fishing with a weight its called bottom fishing so you dont use a float.Float fishing is better in harbours or places with deeper,stiller water.Try the trace with the weight first and see how you get on.

Ok, so all sites on the floor, that's grand. I suppose you don't cast out repeatadly, it's enough to just check every couple of minutes.

What about seaweed etc is it better to fish is clear or weedy areas? I presume sea fish are similar to most fresh water species and prefer the shelter of weeds and also for food.

The beach I'm planning on using has a bit of both.

Ok, so all sites on the floor, that's grand. I suppose you don't cast out repeatadly, it's enough to just check every couple of minutes.

What about seaweed etc is it better to fish is clear or weedy areas? I presume sea fish are similar to most fresh water species and prefer the shelter of weeds and also for food.

The beach I'm planning on using has a bit of both.

Cast out,wind in the slack,prop the rod on something and watch the tip for a bite.Check every so often to make sure your bait hasnt been bitten off or eaten by crabs.Avoid weedy areas,they'll clog your hooks and snag you up.

• Advertisement

Thanks Degsy, I'm familiar with weeds it's the salt water fish I'm not too sure of.

Thanks Degsy, I'm familiar with weeds it's the salt water fish I'm not too sure of.

Use lugworms or ragworms,they'll catch most saltwater species.If the fish are there and the bait is alive you should catch something!Most common species from a beach would be Flounder.Pollack,Whiting,Dogfish,Bass,Gurnurd and Eels.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

mackerel is the best bait for the west coast, plus its near impossible to get ragworm in galway, lug worm is handy for catching flatfish.

species around the galway area include dogfish, bull huss, thornback ray, mullet, coalfish, pollock, flounder, mackerel and whiting in the colder months..
    as for bass around galway, there are only a very few places where you can catch these, and you need the right weather conditions for them, only 3 bass have been caught in the inner bay area (spiddle - ballyvaughan)from the shore in the last ten years or so, and i'm lucky enough to have caught 2 of them :D and was present when the third was caught:eek:.

rusheen bay will produce plenty of lugworm for a session. spiddle pier is a handy spot for fishing from, and you'll get 3 bearded rockling, pouting, pollock, coalie , ballan wrasse, dogfish and conger eel there.

I'm not familiar with these species at all but as I said any fish will do.
    Sounds great, except for the conger eel.

I'll have a look in rusheen this evening, the tide is out. You can store lugworm alive for a few days can't you, in seaweed I think? Tides out this evening I'll bag some any maybe try Spiddal tomorrow evening.

Is there any point in fishing from the pebble beach after blackrock in salthill, I doubt it?

I was down round Fanore last night, a good few there fishing off the cliff on that coast road, is it a good spot or is it just scenic and handy?

I'm not familiar with these species at all but as I said any fish will do.
    Sounds great, except for the conger eel.

I'll have a look in rusheen this evening, the tide is out. You can store lugworm alive for a few days can't you, in seaweed I think? Tides out this evening I'll bag some any maybe try Spiddal tomorrow evening.

Is there any point in fishing from the pebble beach after blackrock in salthill, I doubt it?

I was down round Fanore last night, a good few there fishing off the cliff on that coast road, is it a good spot or is it just scenic and handy?

you can store lug in damp newspaper and in seaweed, dont keep them in water, they die quicker, keeping them in the bottom of the fridge(if your allowed) will keep them happy...

blackrock beach can fish ok at times for dogfish, fishing around lowtide in the late evening with mackerel baits might get something feeding..

the people you saw fishing blackhead(off the rocks) were all probably fishing for mackerel, there seems to be a few being caught there at the moment.. there are quite a few species caught there, one of my best was a 6lbs pollock caught at night while freelining a lump of mackerel..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

i know local guys from lahinch that catch loads of bass pretty regularly...
    i just dont know where, maybe its fanore?

adonis wrote: »
    i know local guys from lahinch that catch loads of bass pretty regularly...
    i just dont know where, maybe its fanore?

lahinch beach holds a few bass, as does fanore, but numbers seem to increase the further south you go. there aren't many places in galwat bay that you will finds numbers of bass.

p.s. 15th may - 15th june is the closed season for all bass fishing

Advertisement