Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smart hardware..

Options
  • 09-05-2008 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭

Got my text from Smart telecom last week saying that my connection was now complete. I had previously been with smart in a rented house, so still had their old AOLYNK asdl router. I connected it, and its working, however, sometimes i lose my connection via WIFI (i have a dlink router plugged into it). I dont know if this is being caused by the line, the wifi router, or the AOLYNK.

Anyway, today my new router arrived from smart, its a "speedtouch" ADSL2+ gateway. should i change over to the new one? is there any benefits? Im not very techincally minded when it comes to this stuff.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

zuroph wrote: »
    Got my text from Smart telecom last week saying that my connection was now complete. I had previously been with smart in a rented house, so still had their old AOLYNK asdl router. I connected it, and its working, however, sometimes i lose my connection via WIFI (i have a dlink router plugged into it). I dont know if this is being caused by the line, the wifi router, or the AOLYNK.

Anyway, today my new router arrived from smart, its a "speedtouch" ADSL2+ gateway. should i change over to the new one? is there any benefits? Im not very techincally minded when it comes to this stuff.

Have you checked your line stats? When you lose the wireless connection do you check immediately to see if the connection has been lost? Use netstumbler and see if there are any other wireless networks in the area using the same channel. Try changing the channel anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'd suggest posting a query in :

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/

Smart's techies are online in there and generally get to the bottom of queries very quickly.

Put your Smart phone number into your profile so that it's only visible to the moderators (who are all Smart Telecom staffers)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

see that might not be a good idea, as im signed up as a new customer? the last set up probably wasnt closed properly

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd say use the new modem. Smart are currently rolling out new services, faster speeds, TV, etc. I believe you need the new modem to take advantage of these.

BTW can you let us know what exactly the model number of the new router is?

speedtouch 546(i)v6

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

zuroph wrote: »
    see that might not be a good idea, as im signed up as a new customer? the last set up probably wasnt closed properly

Unless you owe them money what exactly would be the problem?

unless.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Thats brillant you owe them money so you can't get technical support :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The people on the forum are technical staff from their Networks Operations Centre in Citywest. I don't really think they're all that likely to start looking up your old account.

If you've an outstanding account with them, their accounts / customer care team will deal with it. If they haven't already suspended your service and cut you off the issue must not be all that serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

WAVES at OP :D

Now you can go contact technical support!!

• Advertisement

hey crawler.
    so,what u think? is the new modem easier to work with? better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Yes, new modem is excellent - old one is ok too but technology has progressed.

Advertisement