Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is eircom broadband enough to play on-line?

• 09-05-2008 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering considering the appalling state of our broadband service, are we able to play online properly using one of the standard providers?

I have eircom broadband at home in meath, just the standard lowest service.
    I can do a speed check later but is it likely to be enough?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Aslong as the broadband is over 512kb/s (which it is) it wont really effect ping. If the service is ****, then it will, but even if you had an 8mb line with **** service you'll have a pretty bad ping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

I have 2mb eircom, but due to absolute cack copper in my driveway it has only been at 512 for the last week or so and its still playing ok!! apart from pro evo but i think this is more of a problem with the server

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Do a ping test,

Go to "Start", then "Run". Type "CMD" into the Run window that opens up and hit enter. You should see a black dos prompt box come up.

Type the following into it, ping www.boards.ie -n 100

You should see a ping to the boards servers come up. What you are looking for is the latency, measured in mili-seconds(ms) and the consistency. So at the end at the summary you should have an average ping of between 20-40ms and no packet loss(100% return ratio).

Thats all you need for good gaming, even a 1 meg connection will handle 3 gamers fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

average of 24, so just enough, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

I have used eircom broadband this past two years with no major problems.
    Go for it and enjoy online gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭supertramp

don't forget with eircom you sometimes need to set your firewall settings to low, for online to work...

I'm playing gta online now, was playing non-ranked matches fines yesterday, but today am frequently being disconnected as some players have been disconnected, and I wasnt seemingly in that game at all just there, everyone was ignoring me.

Firewall is off completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Motosam wrote: »
    Firewall is off completely.

Good to know,

muhahahahaha!

Ok really annoying, about three quarters of online games I join crash, or at least for me.

I'm playing gta4 online and usually end up disconnected from the game mid game, which is really annoying.
    I get the connection has been lost with one or more players message, you are the only player left message, and the connection has been lost returning to single player.
    Is this a problem with the gta servers, my netopia router form eircom, or a local server issue in meath or something.

If this is common I suppose I can live with it, but I wont be gaming online, if its just me maybe I can sort it out.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Motosam wrote: »
    Ok really annoying, about three quarters of online games I join crash, or at least for me.

I'm playing gta4 online and usually end up disconnected from the game mid game, which is really annoying.
    I get the connection has been lost with one or more players message, you are the only player left message, and the connection has been lost returning to single player.
    Is this a problem with the gta servers, my netopia router form eircom, or a local server issue in meath or something.

If this is common I suppose I can live with it, but I wont be gaming online, if its just me maybe I can sort it out.

Thanks.

The way the xbox works is that you all go into a lobby, then join a game. The game is hosted on one of the machines. If that machine goes off line the game is ended. Annoying but thats how it works.

• Advertisement

The way the xbox works is that you all go into a lobby, then join a game. The game is hosted on one of the machines. If that machine goes off line the game is ended. Annoying but thats how it works.

Really?

I assumed the xboxes just handled their own data and send and received it to a central server or something to collate the data?

So do you get this also in online games? Seriously 3 out of 4 games end randomly for me, and I'm pretty sure its and issue with my connection as the game continues without me.

Example I'm playing a game and all of a sudden every other player lags and stops moving, after 10 seconds I'm informed that I lost the connection.
    I'm also told later on the headset that the game had continued without me.

I can only assume I have an issue then with my connection, the host rarely drops out.

Advertisement