Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are they metal?

• 09-05-2008 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

Def Leppard, Guns n' Roses, Bon Jovi- Not saying they're bad (well, D.L. and Bon jon maybe) but are they metal?

I was listening to 'Voodoo People' by the Prodigy the other day and it struck me that the this song is so much heavier than alot of what these aforementioned bands produced.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Definitions of genres change over time - look at heavy metal bands of 70s / 80s and then today...Plus, there are more sub-genre labels thrown around the place now!

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Def Leppard, Bon Jovi = Hair metal
    Guns 'n' Roses = a little bit metal, a little bit rock 'n' roll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

those bands are usually categorized as either "Soft" Rock or "Hard" Rock.

Bon Jovi are soft cus they have love songs and are generally not heavy
    GNR are hard cus they write about drugs etc and rock out a little bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Iron Maiden (well, steve harris and dave murray), don't consider themselves to be metal and Robert Plant of Led Zeppellin has said he doesn't like metal and consider's it too 'pre-concieved', then again he spent a good 12 years singing about hobbits and goblins.

What constitutes the sound?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Fueled By Satan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

ZakAttak wrote: »
    Def Leppard, Guns n' Roses, Bon Jovi- Not saying they're bad (well, D.L. and Bon jon maybe) but are they metal?

I was listening to 'Voodoo People' by the Prodigy the other day and it struck me that the this song is so much heavier than alot of what these aforementioned bands produced.
    I wouldn't call any of those bands metal. Hard rock probably. Heaviness doesn't equal metal. I agree with what you're saying though. Some stuff by the likes of The Chemical Brothers is pretty heavy sounding too. That doesn't make them metal either.
    those bands are usually categorized as either "Soft" Rock or "Hard" Rock.

Bon Jovi are soft cus they have love songs and are generally not heavy
    GNR are hard cus they write about drugs etc and rock out a little bit
    Very well put!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Def Leppard - A one-armed drummer? Metal as feck! (going to see these guys live soon. When they play with Whitesnake. Come on! Just for the cheese factor!)
    Bon Jovi - whiney hair-metal. :P
    G'n'R - this is a band that alluded me. I like their singles but wouldn't listen to any of their albums. I would label these as c*ck-rock.

So, what I'm trying to say is by today's standards they're really not metal..........................eh...yeah!

Check out the Voodoo People - Pendulum Remix. That's heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Thread of the year awards 2008

This is my nomination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Does it really matter at all? If you enjoy them, enjoy them. ;)

I know, its not as though metal is the only type of music I listen to- but don't you think its unfair that a great band like Sepultura get lumped in with an outfit like Twisted Sister?

Metal should be appreciated for the great genre of music it is, and not unfairly labelled as crap because of some of the bands who-wrongly in my opinion- ended up representing it. Sometimes when reading the threads on this forum I see people mentioning bands like meat loaf and poison; I just don't understand why people who like those bands consider them metal- like them if you want, but don't claim they're something that they never were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

That man speaks the truth.:cool:

I know, its not as though metal is the only type of music I listen to- but don't you think its unfair that a great band like Sepultura get lumped in with an outfit like Twisted Sister?

Metal should be appreciated for the great genre of music it is, and not unfairly labelled as crap because of some of the bands who-wrongly in my opinion- ended up representing it. Sometimes when reading the threads on this forum I see people mentioning bands like meat loaf and poison; I just don't understand why people who like those bands consider them metal- like them if you want, but don't claim they're something that they never were.

Metal is an absolutely vast genre though, consider that both Queensryche and Cannibal Corpse are under the 'Metal' umbrella, as are things as completely different as Korn and Opeth.

I think you're just being elitist. Bands you don't like are being considered metal, and it doesn't sit with you? So what, nobody is ever going to love every single metal band. Break it down and say you like Thrash Metal, or whatever is your preference, if you like.

Don't be one of those elitists though, always blithering about what is, or isn't metal. Nobody cares, and it only makes you sound pompous.

Honestly, this sounds pretty metal to me:

You might not like it, and I can certainly see why a lot of people wouldn't like it, but that's no reason to jump up and say "It's not metal!" It's as valid a form of metal as any other subgenre I could think of.

So basically you don't like classic metal?

Personally I just divide music into two categories - one that I like and another that I don't like. That way I don't have to worry if something is modern metal, classic metal or neo-classical, industrial, two-step, acid, jungle metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

my dear jesus you have issues, have you actually listened to enough classic metal and modern stuff to draw a valid comparison?

as mentioned, there are lots of different sub-genres of metal.

get over yerself, you sound like the gob****es who think metallica are EMO:D

like it or not, bands such as motley crue, def leppard, whitesnake, van halen, wasp all have massive influence on other genres, best example is the motley/metallica link, motleys Dr.feelgood is a massive influence on the sound of the black album.:rolleyes: blasphamy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

They were also the bands that brought heavy metal into the mainstream, and IMO motleys first two albums are classics.
    def leppard released pyromania and hysteria, and were actually written in dublin(the ****e you prob hear most) to break the yank market, they were part of the NWOBHM, listen to on through the night , fantastic album.

i can take your point about the bubblegum ****e such as poison, kix, winger etc etc, but it has to be said there is a time and place for it and it is fun to listen to every now and again.

dee snider ****ing legend, told al gore his wife was sexually perverted:D hero!

basically anything you hear on fm104 or 98fm will never be metal IMO, so that kills off GnR and bon jovi ston dead.:D:D:D

kona wrote: »
    get over yerself, you sound like the gob****es who think metallica are EMO:D

Easy now, that's rather uncalled for. Let me see no more personal abuse here.

Easy now, that's rather uncalled for. Let me see no more personal abuse here.

I appreciate the intervention, but honestly I don't mind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

chin_grin wrote: »
    G'n'R - this is a band that alluded me. I like their singles but wouldn't listen to any of their albums. I would label these as c*ck-rock.

I suppose your another Motley Crue fan who thinks they are the best thing since slice bread, c@ck-rock that sold over 20 million albums on their debut!!!!! Appetite happens to be nominated every year in any top album charts . . . . . . . . but i'd say you have good taste alri!!!!!

Theres nothing wrong with classic rock bands- but they're not metal.

Metal is real people's music, expressing the concerns and angers of real people. Not a bunch of catchy choruses by some ****£r with a can of hairspray and a pair of leather trousers.

You can't headbang to 'pour some sugar on me' (a song by the quite awful Def Leppard).

Metal is supposed to have an edge, its meant to make you think.

Everyone who has complained about what I'm saying is just annoyed because they thought they were listening to outlaw bands with racey music- in the end all that motley crue/poison stuff is housewives music.

One more thing:

At the same time as all those hair-metal bands were around- there were lots of proper metal bands around too. It wasn't as though if you wanted to listen to heavy music the heaviest stuff you could get was whitesnake or E.L.O. Even back in the late 70s/early 80s you had bands like Discharge, Venom, Celtic Frost (I know image wise they could be a bit dumb, but the music still stands up); Proper, hardcore, fast, heavy and deadly-sounding.

To all you guys who have an extensive Scorpions or Viper record collection- you didn't start listening to that music because 'it sounded cool at the time'; you wussed out- you should have gone and listened to the real stuff. It may have been difficult to find, but it was worth it.

Theres nothing wrong with classic rock bands- but they're not metal.

Metal is real people's music, expressing the concerns and angers of real people. Not a bunch of catchy choruses by some ****£r with a can of hairspray and a pair of leather trousers.

You can't headbang to 'pour some sugar on me' (a song by the quite awful Def Leppard).

Metal is supposed to have an edge, its meant to make you think.

Everyone who has complained about what I'm saying is just annoyed because they thought they were listening to outlaw bands with racey music- in the end all that motley crue/poison stuff is housewives music.

you cant headbang to any post black album metallica in my opinion, neither can you head bang to some incoherrant gob****e like seth putnam.

sorry but bon jovi is a housewifes band,

id love to see a housewife singing "she goes down" ,"10 seconds to love", " **** like a beast" id be laughing my ****ing ass off.wasp, motley, GnR, RATT most definatly aint a housewifes band.

i think you really need to broaden your horizons, listen to the proper stuff, i.e too fast for love, shout at the devil, and not ****ing look what the cat dragged in and hysteria.

shout is considered by many to be the finest mainstream metal abum of the 1980s, motley toured with ozzy, saxon, ac/dc etc..........................................................................dont see bon jovi or ****ing poison doing this.
    motley took GnR with them too.

i think your views are typical of the 1 sided views of a thrash/black metal, fan tbh.

edit:incidentally i have a motorhead album just under my bulletboys album, and i have ride the lightning on top of theatre of pain, and a anal **** album under a poison album.

I can actually construct a argument for classic rock/cock rock/hairmetal/sleaze metal against thrash and black metal based on fact and experience from actually owning albums from all genres.
    doubt you have any crue or def leppard?

• Advertisement

You could've said the same thing about Iron Maiden, they have catchy choruses and their lyrics are mostly fantasy, yet nobody doubts Maiden's metal credentials.

You could've said the same thing about Iron Maiden, they have catchy choruses and their lyrics are mostly fantasy, yet nobody doubts Maiden's metal credentials.

or priest:D cant have anymore leather than priest, in fact they seemed hell bent on it:D

I like early Iron Maiden- when they had a bit of [EMAIL="b@lls"]b@lls[/EMAIL]. But I wouldn't consider their later stuff to be metal. Steve Harris doesn't consider them to be heavy metal either.

you cant headbang to any post black album metallica in my opinion, neither can you head bang to some incoherrant gob****e like seth putnam.

sorry but bon jovi is a housewifes band,

==>Yeah I know, thats what I'm saying.

id love to see a housewife singing "she goes down" ,"10 seconds to love", " **** like a beast" id be laughing my ****ing ass off.wasp, motley, GnR, RATT most definatly aint a housewifes band.

i think you really need to broaden your horizons, listen to the proper stuff, i.e too fast for love, shout at the devil, and not ****ing look what the cat dragged in and hysteria.

==>Not a chance, Def Leppard are bloody brutal.

shout is considered by many to be the finest mainstream metal abum of the 1980s, motley toured with ozzy, saxon, ac/dc etc..........................................................................dont see bon jovi or ****ing poison doing this.
    motley took GnR with them too.

i think your views are typical of the 1 sided views of a thrash/black metal, fan tbh.

==>Just 'cos I don't like Def Leppard?

edit:incidentally i have a motorhead album just under my bulletboys album, and i have ride the lightning on top of theatre of pain, and a anal **** album under a poison album.

I can actually construct a argument for classic rock/cock rock/hairmetal/sleaze metal against thrash and black metal based on fact and experience from actually owning albums from all genres.
    doubt you have any crue or def leppard?

==>I've heard alot of their stuff. When I was younger and just getting in to metal I didn't know what was what; and so I ended up listening to bands that I thought were metal but turned out to be totally soft lighter-waving sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Steve Harris can say what he likes but Maiden are as metal as an electricity pylon in a lightening storm

Metal is an absolutely vast genre though, consider that both Queensryche and Cannibal Corpse are under the 'Metal' umbrella, as are things as completely different as Korn and Opeth.

Korn were heavy- and they had fvcked up subjects in their lyrics, they spoke about things that really did effect people; admittedly they're not my favourite band, and they went sh1t real soon, but at least they were original. Opeth are alright- theres better bands doing a similar thing though.

Tinny sounding guitars, drums that sound like the drummer forgot about the bass drum when he was playing, barely audible bass and over-dramatic high pitched wailing (Skid row style). This has no place in the great realm of metal.

MoominPapa wrote: »
    Steve Harris can say what he likes but Maiden are as metal as an electricity pylon in a lightening storm

Early maiden are.

'Can I play with madness?', 'Bring your daughter to the slaughter' and 'Waisted Years' are examples of what happened in the end. If Steve Harris was clever he would have sold the rights to those songs to Micheal Bolton, and not damaged the credibility of his own band by getting them to play those pieces of sh1t.

If Steve Harris was clever

Yeah, he's such a dumbass:rolleyes:

Yeah, he's such a dumbass:rolleyes:

Whats he done in the last 20 years (1988+)? Nothing. The only thing he has done is destroy the reputation of a once great band.

• Advertisement

Whats he done in the last 20 years (1988+)? Nothing. The only thing he has done is destroy the reputation of a once great band.

Whether this is correct or not, tbh my interest ceases at powerslave, its seems that once you stop liking them they stop being metal

Whether this is correct or not, tbh my interest ceases at powerslave, its seems that once you stop liking them they stop being metal

I'd like them if they were playing good music- If they went and did a deadly dance album I'd think they were good. But they don't they just churn out the same sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 GrewSome

Im not sure if this applies to the same thread but i agree with what karl said earlier as in each to their own(music). i remember being 18 19 or so and being given out to at parties cos my so called music was rubbish , as i didnt like the 'popular music' at the time which was mostly GNR, iron maiden, bon jovi etc. whereas my interests more lay in fields of the nephilim, black flag, christian death, bauhaus, frank zappa, dead can dance, all different genres i know but as they say (and as he who has spoken earlier said) each to their own........;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I'd like them if they were playing good music- If they went and did a deadly dance album I'd think they were good. But they don't they just churn out the same sh1t.

But its still metal, sh1te as it is. And sad as it is all those 80's hairspray & spandex bands are classed as metal too. However whats in a name/label/tag? just steer clear of the sh1te you don't like, thats what I do:D

Just a quick note on Def Leppard, I don't own any of their records and think their songs and videos are quite gay. However before a world tour they gave a practice gig in the SFX in Dublin for £4 a ticket, now I wasn't really arsed but all my mates were going, so I went and to my great surprise they rocked. Still think they're gay though

Just a quick note on Def Leppard, I don't own any of their records and think their songs and videos are quite gay. However before a world tour they gave a practice gig in the SFX in Dublin for £4 a ticket, now I wasn't really arsed but all my mates were going, so I went and to my great surprise they rocked. Still think they're gay though[/quote]

==>No one does that anymore- I only ever got to see one (it was a practice gig by The Stranglers, it was fvckin deadly); was living in Liverpool at the time- turned up at the place and was just ushered in by a bouncer, never even paid any money to anyone, still not sure if it was free or they didn't have enough people.

Anyway- back to proper metal versus gay music; Its not about what I like and don't like- its about being fair. Iron Maiden are very influential on metal, no one would ever doubt that, but after powerslave they ceased to be a 'heavy' band. Treat metal with respect!!! Its not about imagery or looks (thats way chemical romance will never be a metal band, no matter how hard they try)- Big stadium choruses have no place in metal.

Just a quick note on Def Leppard, I don't own any of their records and think their songs and videos are quite gay. However before a world tour they gave a practice gig in the SFX in Dublin for £4 a ticket, now I wasn't really arsed but all my mates were going, so I went and to my great surprise they rocked. Still think they're gay though

==>No one does that anymore- I only ever got to see one (it was a practice gig by The Stranglers, it was fvckin deadly); was living in Liverpool at the time- turned up at the place and was just ushered in by a bouncer, never even paid any money to anyone, still not sure if it was free or they didn't have enough people.

Anyway- back to proper metal versus gay music; Its not about what I like and don't like- its about being fair. Iron Maiden are very influential on metal, no one would ever doubt that, but after powerslave they ceased to be a 'heavy' band. Treat metal with respect!!! Its not about imagery or looks (thats way chemical romance will never be a metal band, no matter how hard they try)- Big stadium choruses have no place in metal.[/QUOTE]

*turns on most sarcastic condascending voice*

yes, all the lads from hairmetal bands are gay, i mean all those playmates, and groupies.

dude hairmetal do sing about songs that relates to them, which at the time pretty much revovled around, se,drugs and fun.

now dont get me wrong but if its relating to metal i cant relate to alot of the garbage by bands you mentioned because im not full of angst and the world is out to get me syndrome.
    i listen to hairmetal because its fun and puts a smile on my face.

do you by any chance like pantera and dimebag??

• Advertisement

yes, all the lads from hairmetal bands are gay, i mean all those playmates, and groupies.

==>Rupert Murdoch has a 20 something girlfriend, and he's the biggest pr1ck on the planet- I'd say its got something to do with his enormous wealth, same thing with those hair metal bands; I'd say a few of their groupies secretly thought the music was diabolical- but liked the ferrari birthday present they got.

dude hairmetal do sing about songs that relates to them, which at the time pretty much revovled around, se,drugs and fun.

==>But why do they need to pretend they're metal to do that? N.W.A. did the same thing, but they never pretended to be something they weren't- and they didn't suck either.

now dont get me wrong but if its relating to metal i cant relate to alot of the garbage by bands you mentioned because im not full of angst and the world is out to get me syndrome.

==>So you don't like metal unless it involves some loser rubbing his crotch up and down a microphone stand, music is supposed to incorporate everything- not just one theme.

==>Crazy golf is fun and it puts a smile on my face, but I wouldn't hold up Crazy golf as a fine example of contemporary art.

do you by any chance like pantera and dimebag??[/quote]

==>I know what you're going to say "they were a hair metal band before they played proper music", which is true- but they realised the error of their ways and corrected themselves; unlike alot of the hair metal bands you seem to like.

==>Rupert Murdoch has a 20 something girlfriend, and he's the biggest pr1ck on the planet- I'd say its got something to do with his enormous wealth, same thing with those hair metal bands; I'd say a few of their groupies secretly thought the music was diabolical- but liked the ferrari birthday present they got.

==>But why do they need to pretend they're metal to do that? N.W.A. did the same thing, but they never pretended to be something they weren't- and they didn't suck either.

==>So you don't like metal unless it involves some loser rubbing his crotch up and down a microphone stand, music is supposed to incorporate everything- not just one theme.

==>Crazy golf is fun and it puts a smile on my face, but I wouldn't hold up Crazy golf as a fine example of contemporary art.

do you by any chance like pantera and dimebag??

==>I know what you're going to say "they were a hair metal band before they played proper music", which is true- but they realised the error of their ways and corrected themselves; unlike alot of the hair metal bands you seem to like.[/QUOTE]

wasp, motley crue,pantera are bands off the top of my head that actually have totally different albums,
    motley crues dr feelgood and their self titled albums are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy different, if you want to compare when vince neil was on vocals, maybe generation swine and shout at the devil.

wasp compare last command to neon god part1 and 2, all totally different.

i think i can see where you are coming from and i know what bands and music you are trying to get across as being gay and ****(basically 1987 music on poison, kix, warrant, keel etc etc etc)but you are lumping bands undeservadly into this mix such as motley crue, WASP, GnR.

heavy metal has progressed,mainly through speed of riffs(metallica, who actually cite crue as a influence) motley cite ac/dc cheap trick and the sex pistols as influences, likewise this generation may cite the hairmetal bands.

poison etc aint metal, they did it because it became mainstream and there was money in it.

nikki sixx and blackie lawless are metal legends and they are very talented musicians, nikki sixx was asked to produce appetite.

i think you need to look up the hairmetal genre and see what happened as regards a kinda 1st and 2nd wave.

incidentally these hairmetal bands you dont like are still relevant and releasing material.

whitesnake............................bad to be good
    def leppard............................(dont know the name)
    Motley crue............................saints of los angeles.
    WASP....................................dominator.
    dokken....................................(out today dont know the name either)

if they were gay and ****e and not metal i doubt they would still be releasing material.

a groupie is just a ride backstage , they dont buy them ferraris!, a groupie is akin to the dhurtay yoke in the bar that is easy.

What's with all this "it's gay/they're gay" talk? Are you lot homophobic? Lets have less of that kind of talk, please. It's like being back in secondary school... :pac:

Rob Halford was gay, and he's more metal than any of you.

What's with all this "it's gay/they're gay" talk? Are you lot homophobic? It's like being back in secondary school... :pac:

Rob Halford was gay, and he's more metal than any of you.

==>Just an expression, and a common one at that. If I say the band Metal Church are a bag of sh1te; I don't actually mean that Metal church are in fact a flexible plastic container filled with extrement (Although I would rather shove my head into this container rather than listen to Metal Church).

wasp, motley crue,pantera are bands off the top of my head that actually have totally different albums,
    motley crues dr feelgood and their self titled albums are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy different, if you want to compare when vince neil was on vocals, maybe generation swine and shout at the devil.

==> No way- motley are not metal.

i think i can see where you are coming from and i know what bands and music you are trying to get across as being gay and ****(basically 1987 music on poison, kix, warrant, keel etc etc etc)but you are lumping bands undeservadly into this mix such as motley crue, WASP, GnR.

==> I'm not arguing wether those bands are good or not, I just dont consider them metal.

heavy metal has progressed,mainly through speed of riffs(metallica, who actually cite crue as a influence) motley cite ac/dc cheap trick and the sex pistols as influences, likewise this generation may cite the hairmetal bands.

==> Metal progressed along two different lines- proper metal and what can only be described as sh1t-rock.

poison etc aint metal, they did it because it became mainstream and there was money in it.

==>It wasn't just poison.

nikki sixx and blackie lawless are metal legends and they are very talented musicians, nikki sixx was asked to produce appetite.

==>Drugs do alot of things- they can make terrible music sound good.

i think you need to look up the hairmetal genre and see what happened as regards a kinda 1st and 2nd wave.

==>It was one big wave of sh1te with the exception of the thrash scene- at least that was original and not a rehash of 70's Led Zep-style rock. (Nothing wrong with Led Zep though)

incidentally these hairmetal bands you dont like are still relevant and releasing material.

if they were gay and ****e and not metal i doubt they would still be releasing material.

==>Just because they're gay and sh1te- doesn't mean there aren't music fans who are gay and sh1te, just look at meat loaf.

a groupie is just a ride backstage , they dont buy them ferraris!, a groupie is akin to the dhurtay yoke in the bar that is easy.[/quote]

==>Groupie/playmate one day, a wife thats divorcing you and taking your money the next.

• Advertisement

==>Just an expression, and a common one at that. If I say the band Metal Church are a bag of sh1te; I don't actually mean that Metal church are in fact a flexible plastic container filled with extrement (Although I would rather shove my head into this container rather than listen to Metal Church).

Whether it's common or not, it suggests that being gay is a bad thing, which is fairly insulting to homosexuals. Use bag of ****e if you want, at least that's not directly insulting to an entire demographic of people. I'd rather not see the word gay being used in that context again, ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Well from what I listen too, Metallica just about qualify as heavy metal.

Whether it's common or not, it suggests that being gay is a bad thing, which is fairly insulting to homosexuals. Use bag of ****e if you want, at least that's not directly insulting to an entire demographic of people. I'd rather not see the word gay being used in that context again, ok?

Thats my fault Karl, I started it off as I called def leppard gay, and I apologise. What I meant to say is that they are quite bad

==> No way- motley are not metal.

==> I'm not arguing wether those bands are good or not, I just dont consider them metal.

==> Metal progressed along two different lines- proper metal and what can only be described as sh1t-rock.

==>It wasn't just poison.

==>Drugs do alot of things- they can make terrible music sound good.

==>It was one big wave of sh1te with the exception of the thrash scene- at least that was original and not a rehash of 70's Led Zep-style rock. (Nothing wrong with Led Zep though)

==>Just because they're gay and sh1te- doesn't mean there aren't music fans who are gay and sh1te, just look at meat loaf.

a groupie is just a ride backstage , they dont buy them ferraris!, a groupie is akin to the dhurtay yoke in the bar that is easy.

==>Groupie/playmate one day, a wife thats divorcing you and taking your money the next.[/QUOTE]

okay you think motley etc aint metal, fair enough thats your information and thats fine.

but they actually are metal, ask anybody.......they just dont fall into your tastes or genres.

i think you just think they are ****e, so you should have just started a hairmetal bashing thread, motley sound **** all like zep. motley are waaaaaaaaaaaay heavier than ac/dc, would you class ac/dc as metal?

just because you like to listen to inchoherrent vocals ontop of bull**** riffs dont put down other genres of metal.

headbanging isnt about metal, its a thrash thing, hairmetal was more about a R&B and a groove to the music, with coherrent vocals ontop.

and on the gay comment,what a ****ing stereotype ,glam couldnt be any further than gay, what a heap of **** comment, as said halford is gay and hes a legend, ad incidentally is probably part of your genres of metal.

before you go back to metal ireland could you PLEASE learn how to quote???!:)

as a side, why are metal fans in ireland so condacending to hairmetal etc?

IMO metal to them is just speed and headbanging?

could you PLEASE learn how to quote???!:)
    Bless you Kona!

I thinks its a inbuild Irish male suspicion of hair care. If I even look at a hair brush I feel a bit poncey:pac:

I'm glad someone finally said it!
    I thinks its a inbuild Irish male suspicion of hair care. If I even look at a hair brush I feel a bit poncey:pac:
    Hairbrushes? Damn right they're poncey! What you need is a manly comb. :)

Bless you Kona!

there is a inbuilt fear of general hygene in the irish male psche!!!
    what you need is a can of hairspray and a comb to back comb!

compared to some of the spice boys out there at the moment i think hairmetal looks a bit subdued these days??
    going to have to up the game:D:D:D:D

okay you think motley etc aint metal, fair enough thats your information and thats fine.

==>Motley are not metal- classic rock revivalists maybe, but not metal.

but they actually are metal, ask anybody.......they just dont fall into your tastes or genres.

i think you just think they are ****e, so you should have just started a hairmetal bashing thread, motley sound **** all like zep. motley are waaaaaaaaaaaay heavier than ac/dc, would you class ac/dc as metal?

==>Look at my posts and you'll see I've said this already. I like lots of types of music, just because I don't consider a band metal doesn't mean I don't like them. AC/DC are a blues rock band; I think they're deadly, but they're blues-rock not metal.

just because you like to listen to inchoherrent vocals ontop of bull**** riffs dont put down other genres of metal.

==>I like lots of types of metal, but can't stand stuff that says its metal but is in fact total crap.

headbanging isnt about metal, its a thrash thing, hairmetal was more about a R&B and a groove to the music, with coherrent vocals ontop.

and on the gay comment,what a ****ing stereotype ,glam couldnt be any further than gay, what a heap of **** comment, as said halford is gay and hes a legend, ad incidentally is probably part of your genres of metal.

==>The gay thing was a light-hearted expression that some of us were using (don't know why you're singling me out for this one).

==>No way, I'm doing it old school!!!

==> Its spelt 'condescending' actually (sniff).

IMO metal to them is just speed and headbanging?[/quote]

==>Look at the way nowadays bands use the term 'indie' to describe their music. Its got nothing to do with the sound of their music, its because they believe the term 'indie' lends them credibility- they think it makes them sound 'urban' and 'alternative'; when in actual fact they play horrendous jangle-pop that would put the monkees to shame. Thats what bands did with the term 'metal' during the 80s, whilst proper metal bands had to endure much abuse because of this misuse of the term.

Bless you Kona!

Since this is a metal thread should n't this be "Damn you Kona!" and make Dio style devil hand signals :pac:

damonjewel wrote: »
    Since this is a metal thread should n't this be "Damn you Kona!" and make Dio style devil hand signals :pac:

Perhaps as it appears to have had no effect:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement