Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Are they metal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

MoominPapa wrote: »
    Whether this is correct or not, tbh my interest ceases at powerslave, its seems that once you stop liking them they stop being metal

I'd like them if they were playing good music- If they went and did a deadly dance album I'd think they were good. But they don't they just churn out the same sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 GrewSome

Im not sure if this applies to the same thread but i agree with what karl said earlier as in each to their own(music). i remember being 18 19 or so and being given out to at parties cos my so called music was rubbish , as i didnt like the 'popular music' at the time which was mostly GNR, iron maiden, bon jovi etc. whereas my interests more lay in fields of the nephilim, black flag, christian death, bauhaus, frank zappa, dead can dance, all different genres i know but as they say (and as he who has spoken earlier said) each to their own........;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

ZakAttak wrote: »
    I'd like them if they were playing good music- If they went and did a deadly dance album I'd think they were good. But they don't they just churn out the same sh1t.

But its still metal, sh1te as it is. And sad as it is all those 80's hairspray & spandex bands are classed as metal too. However whats in a name/label/tag? just steer clear of the sh1te you don't like, thats what I do:D

Just a quick note on Def Leppard, I don't own any of their records and think their songs and videos are quite gay. However before a world tour they gave a practice gig in the SFX in Dublin for £4 a ticket, now I wasn't really arsed but all my mates were going, so I went and to my great surprise they rocked. Still think they're gay though

Just a quick note on Def Leppard, I don't own any of their records and think their songs and videos are quite gay. However before a world tour they gave a practice gig in the SFX in Dublin for £4 a ticket, now I wasn't really arsed but all my mates were going, so I went and to my great surprise they rocked. Still think they're gay though[/quote]

==>No one does that anymore- I only ever got to see one (it was a practice gig by The Stranglers, it was fvckin deadly); was living in Liverpool at the time- turned up at the place and was just ushered in by a bouncer, never even paid any money to anyone, still not sure if it was free or they didn't have enough people.

Anyway- back to proper metal versus gay music; Its not about what I like and don't like- its about being fair. Iron Maiden are very influential on metal, no one would ever doubt that, but after powerslave they ceased to be a 'heavy' band. Treat metal with respect!!! Its not about imagery or looks (thats way chemical romance will never be a metal band, no matter how hard they try)- Big stadium choruses have no place in metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Just a quick note on Def Leppard, I don't own any of their records and think their songs and videos are quite gay. However before a world tour they gave a practice gig in the SFX in Dublin for £4 a ticket, now I wasn't really arsed but all my mates were going, so I went and to my great surprise they rocked. Still think they're gay though

==>No one does that anymore- I only ever got to see one (it was a practice gig by The Stranglers, it was fvckin deadly); was living in Liverpool at the time- turned up at the place and was just ushered in by a bouncer, never even paid any money to anyone, still not sure if it was free or they didn't have enough people.

Anyway- back to proper metal versus gay music; Its not about what I like and don't like- its about being fair. Iron Maiden are very influential on metal, no one would ever doubt that, but after powerslave they ceased to be a 'heavy' band. Treat metal with respect!!! Its not about imagery or looks (thats way chemical romance will never be a metal band, no matter how hard they try)- Big stadium choruses have no place in metal.[/QUOTE]

*turns on most sarcastic condascending voice*

yes, all the lads from hairmetal bands are gay, i mean all those playmates, and groupies.

dude hairmetal do sing about songs that relates to them, which at the time pretty much revovled around, se,drugs and fun.

now dont get me wrong but if its relating to metal i cant relate to alot of the garbage by bands you mentioned because im not full of angst and the world is out to get me syndrome.
    i listen to hairmetal because its fun and puts a smile on my face.

do you by any chance like pantera and dimebag??

• Advertisement

yes, all the lads from hairmetal bands are gay, i mean all those playmates, and groupies.

==>Rupert Murdoch has a 20 something girlfriend, and he's the biggest pr1ck on the planet- I'd say its got something to do with his enormous wealth, same thing with those hair metal bands; I'd say a few of their groupies secretly thought the music was diabolical- but liked the ferrari birthday present they got.

dude hairmetal do sing about songs that relates to them, which at the time pretty much revovled around, se,drugs and fun.

==>But why do they need to pretend they're metal to do that? N.W.A. did the same thing, but they never pretended to be something they weren't- and they didn't suck either.

now dont get me wrong but if its relating to metal i cant relate to alot of the garbage by bands you mentioned because im not full of angst and the world is out to get me syndrome.

==>So you don't like metal unless it involves some loser rubbing his crotch up and down a microphone stand, music is supposed to incorporate everything- not just one theme.

==>Crazy golf is fun and it puts a smile on my face, but I wouldn't hold up Crazy golf as a fine example of contemporary art.

do you by any chance like pantera and dimebag??[/quote]

==>I know what you're going to say "they were a hair metal band before they played proper music", which is true- but they realised the error of their ways and corrected themselves; unlike alot of the hair metal bands you seem to like.

==>Rupert Murdoch has a 20 something girlfriend, and he's the biggest pr1ck on the planet- I'd say its got something to do with his enormous wealth, same thing with those hair metal bands; I'd say a few of their groupies secretly thought the music was diabolical- but liked the ferrari birthday present they got.

==>But why do they need to pretend they're metal to do that? N.W.A. did the same thing, but they never pretended to be something they weren't- and they didn't suck either.

==>So you don't like metal unless it involves some loser rubbing his crotch up and down a microphone stand, music is supposed to incorporate everything- not just one theme.

==>Crazy golf is fun and it puts a smile on my face, but I wouldn't hold up Crazy golf as a fine example of contemporary art.

do you by any chance like pantera and dimebag??

==>I know what you're going to say "they were a hair metal band before they played proper music", which is true- but they realised the error of their ways and corrected themselves; unlike alot of the hair metal bands you seem to like.[/QUOTE]

wasp, motley crue,pantera are bands off the top of my head that actually have totally different albums,
    motley crues dr feelgood and their self titled albums are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy different, if you want to compare when vince neil was on vocals, maybe generation swine and shout at the devil.

wasp compare last command to neon god part1 and 2, all totally different.

i think i can see where you are coming from and i know what bands and music you are trying to get across as being gay and ****(basically 1987 music on poison, kix, warrant, keel etc etc etc)but you are lumping bands undeservadly into this mix such as motley crue, WASP, GnR.

heavy metal has progressed,mainly through speed of riffs(metallica, who actually cite crue as a influence) motley cite ac/dc cheap trick and the sex pistols as influences, likewise this generation may cite the hairmetal bands.

poison etc aint metal, they did it because it became mainstream and there was money in it.

nikki sixx and blackie lawless are metal legends and they are very talented musicians, nikki sixx was asked to produce appetite.

i think you need to look up the hairmetal genre and see what happened as regards a kinda 1st and 2nd wave.

incidentally these hairmetal bands you dont like are still relevant and releasing material.

whitesnake............................bad to be good
    def leppard............................(dont know the name)
    Motley crue............................saints of los angeles.
    WASP....................................dominator.
    dokken....................................(out today dont know the name either)

if they were gay and ****e and not metal i doubt they would still be releasing material.

a groupie is just a ride backstage , they dont buy them ferraris!, a groupie is akin to the dhurtay yoke in the bar that is easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

What's with all this "it's gay/they're gay" talk? Are you lot homophobic? Lets have less of that kind of talk, please. It's like being back in secondary school... :pac:

Rob Halford was gay, and he's more metal than any of you.

What's with all this "it's gay/they're gay" talk? Are you lot homophobic? It's like being back in secondary school... :pac:

Rob Halford was gay, and he's more metal than any of you.

==>Just an expression, and a common one at that. If I say the band Metal Church are a bag of sh1te; I don't actually mean that Metal church are in fact a flexible plastic container filled with extrement (Although I would rather shove my head into this container rather than listen to Metal Church).

wasp, motley crue,pantera are bands off the top of my head that actually have totally different albums,
    motley crues dr feelgood and their self titled albums are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy different, if you want to compare when vince neil was on vocals, maybe generation swine and shout at the devil.

==> No way- motley are not metal.

i think i can see where you are coming from and i know what bands and music you are trying to get across as being gay and ****(basically 1987 music on poison, kix, warrant, keel etc etc etc)but you are lumping bands undeservadly into this mix such as motley crue, WASP, GnR.

==> I'm not arguing wether those bands are good or not, I just dont consider them metal.

heavy metal has progressed,mainly through speed of riffs(metallica, who actually cite crue as a influence) motley cite ac/dc cheap trick and the sex pistols as influences, likewise this generation may cite the hairmetal bands.

==> Metal progressed along two different lines- proper metal and what can only be described as sh1t-rock.

poison etc aint metal, they did it because it became mainstream and there was money in it.

==>It wasn't just poison.

nikki sixx and blackie lawless are metal legends and they are very talented musicians, nikki sixx was asked to produce appetite.

==>Drugs do alot of things- they can make terrible music sound good.

i think you need to look up the hairmetal genre and see what happened as regards a kinda 1st and 2nd wave.

==>It was one big wave of sh1te with the exception of the thrash scene- at least that was original and not a rehash of 70's Led Zep-style rock. (Nothing wrong with Led Zep though)

incidentally these hairmetal bands you dont like are still relevant and releasing material.

if they were gay and ****e and not metal i doubt they would still be releasing material.

==>Just because they're gay and sh1te- doesn't mean there aren't music fans who are gay and sh1te, just look at meat loaf.

a groupie is just a ride backstage , they dont buy them ferraris!, a groupie is akin to the dhurtay yoke in the bar that is easy.[/quote]

==>Groupie/playmate one day, a wife thats divorcing you and taking your money the next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

==>Just an expression, and a common one at that. If I say the band Metal Church are a bag of sh1te; I don't actually mean that Metal church are in fact a flexible plastic container filled with extrement (Although I would rather shove my head into this container rather than listen to Metal Church).

Whether it's common or not, it suggests that being gay is a bad thing, which is fairly insulting to homosexuals. Use bag of ****e if you want, at least that's not directly insulting to an entire demographic of people. I'd rather not see the word gay being used in that context again, ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Def Leppard, Guns n' Roses, Bon Jovi- Not saying they're bad (well, D.L. and Bon jon maybe) but are they metal?

I was listening to 'Voodoo People' by the Prodigy the other day and it struck me that the this song is so much heavier than alot of what these aforementioned bands produced.

Well from what I listen too, Metallica just about qualify as heavy metal.

Whether it's common or not, it suggests that being gay is a bad thing, which is fairly insulting to homosexuals. Use bag of ****e if you want, at least that's not directly insulting to an entire demographic of people. I'd rather not see the word gay being used in that context again, ok?

Thats my fault Karl, I started it off as I called def leppard gay, and I apologise. What I meant to say is that they are quite bad

==> No way- motley are not metal.

==> I'm not arguing wether those bands are good or not, I just dont consider them metal.

==> Metal progressed along two different lines- proper metal and what can only be described as sh1t-rock.

==>It wasn't just poison.

==>Drugs do alot of things- they can make terrible music sound good.

==>It was one big wave of sh1te with the exception of the thrash scene- at least that was original and not a rehash of 70's Led Zep-style rock. (Nothing wrong with Led Zep though)

==>Just because they're gay and sh1te- doesn't mean there aren't music fans who are gay and sh1te, just look at meat loaf.

a groupie is just a ride backstage , they dont buy them ferraris!, a groupie is akin to the dhurtay yoke in the bar that is easy.

==>Groupie/playmate one day, a wife thats divorcing you and taking your money the next.[/QUOTE]

okay you think motley etc aint metal, fair enough thats your information and thats fine.

but they actually are metal, ask anybody.......they just dont fall into your tastes or genres.

i think you just think they are ****e, so you should have just started a hairmetal bashing thread, motley sound **** all like zep. motley are waaaaaaaaaaaay heavier than ac/dc, would you class ac/dc as metal?

just because you like to listen to inchoherrent vocals ontop of bull**** riffs dont put down other genres of metal.

headbanging isnt about metal, its a thrash thing, hairmetal was more about a R&B and a groove to the music, with coherrent vocals ontop.

and on the gay comment,what a ****ing stereotype ,glam couldnt be any further than gay, what a heap of **** comment, as said halford is gay and hes a legend, ad incidentally is probably part of your genres of metal.

before you go back to metal ireland could you PLEASE learn how to quote???!:)

as a side, why are metal fans in ireland so condacending to hairmetal etc?

IMO metal to them is just speed and headbanging?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

kona wrote: »
    could you PLEASE learn how to quote???!:)
    Bless you Kona!

I thinks its a inbuild Irish male suspicion of hair care. If I even look at a hair brush I feel a bit poncey:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm glad someone finally said it!
    I thinks its a inbuild Irish male suspicion of hair care. If I even look at a hair brush I feel a bit poncey:pac:
    Hairbrushes? Damn right they're poncey! What you need is a manly comb. :)

Bless you Kona!

there is a inbuilt fear of general hygene in the irish male psche!!!
    what you need is a can of hairspray and a comb to back comb!

compared to some of the spice boys out there at the moment i think hairmetal looks a bit subdued these days??
    going to have to up the game:D:D:D:D

okay you think motley etc aint metal, fair enough thats your information and thats fine.

==>Motley are not metal- classic rock revivalists maybe, but not metal.

but they actually are metal, ask anybody.......they just dont fall into your tastes or genres.

i think you just think they are ****e, so you should have just started a hairmetal bashing thread, motley sound **** all like zep. motley are waaaaaaaaaaaay heavier than ac/dc, would you class ac/dc as metal?

==>Look at my posts and you'll see I've said this already. I like lots of types of music, just because I don't consider a band metal doesn't mean I don't like them. AC/DC are a blues rock band; I think they're deadly, but they're blues-rock not metal.

just because you like to listen to inchoherrent vocals ontop of bull**** riffs dont put down other genres of metal.

==>I like lots of types of metal, but can't stand stuff that says its metal but is in fact total crap.

headbanging isnt about metal, its a thrash thing, hairmetal was more about a R&B and a groove to the music, with coherrent vocals ontop.

and on the gay comment,what a ****ing stereotype ,glam couldnt be any further than gay, what a heap of **** comment, as said halford is gay and hes a legend, ad incidentally is probably part of your genres of metal.

==>The gay thing was a light-hearted expression that some of us were using (don't know why you're singling me out for this one).

==>No way, I'm doing it old school!!!

==> Its spelt 'condescending' actually (sniff).

IMO metal to them is just speed and headbanging?[/quote]

==>Look at the way nowadays bands use the term 'indie' to describe their music. Its got nothing to do with the sound of their music, its because they believe the term 'indie' lends them credibility- they think it makes them sound 'urban' and 'alternative'; when in actual fact they play horrendous jangle-pop that would put the monkees to shame. Thats what bands did with the term 'metal' during the 80s, whilst proper metal bands had to endure much abuse because of this misuse of the term.

Bless you Kona!

Since this is a metal thread should n't this be "Damn you Kona!" and make Dio style devil hand signals :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

damonjewel wrote: »
    Since this is a metal thread should n't this be "Damn you Kona!" and make Dio style devil hand signals :pac:

Perhaps as it appears to have had no effect:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

==>Motley are not metal- classic rock revivalists maybe, but not metal.

==>Look at my posts and you'll see I've said this already. I like lots of types of music, just because I don't consider a band metal doesn't mean I don't like them. AC/DC are a blues rock band; I think they're deadly, but they're blues-rock not metal.

==>I like lots of types of metal, but can't stand stuff that says its metal but is in fact total crap.

==>The gay thing was a light-hearted expression that some of us were using (don't know why you're singling me out for this one).

==>No way, I'm doing it old school!!!

==> Its spelt 'condescending' actually (sniff).

IMO metal to them is just speed and headbanging?

==>Look at the way nowadays bands use the term 'indie' to describe their music. Its got nothing to do with the sound of their music, its because they believe the term 'indie' lends them credibility- they think it makes them sound 'urban' and 'alternative'; when in actual fact they play horrendous jangle-pop that would put the monkees to shame. Thats what bands did with the term 'metal' during the 80s, whilst proper metal bands had to endure much abuse because of this misuse of the term.[/QUOTE]

yes but that was poison ,kix, keel that ****ed up metal in the 80s, not motley crue.

yes but that was poison ,kix, keel that ****ed up metal in the 80s, not motley crue.[/quote]

==>"Girls,Girls,Girls" was hardly a world away from what poison were doing.

yes but that was poison ,kix, keel that ****ed up metal in the 80s, not motley crue.

==>"Girls,Girls,Girls" was hardly a world away from what poison were doing.[/QUOTE]

thats a ****ing great chune!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
    nah i can see your point but there was some good stuff on the album, wildside is heavy as youd get at the time.

too fast for love, shout at the devil are on another galaxy to poison, can you blame the crue?? they sold out as youd say(given the opertunity again id be willing to lay money on it that modern metal bands would do the same) , they were ****ed up on heroin and even by their own admission theatre and girls were **** with only a handful of proper songs surrounded by filler.
    feelgood IMO was excellent for what it was.

when the money went out of the game, they went back to real music.

poison on the other hand were in it for the money with IMO little talent(maybe CC but the rest were ****) they are stil fun every now and again.

metal became mainstream in the 80s so it was going to turn out alot of pop ****e.

i think you cn break it up into pre 85 and post 85 with the latter being the less heavy more polished ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I class Def Lep as metal, just listen to their first couple of albums. They're not metal any more, but they were 25 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Look, can people stop using Scorpions as a bad example in their threads? Its making me depressed.:D

My tuppence worth? Like a previous poster before me. Two genres - like and dont like.

Oh and hair metal was/is great.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hot4teacher

Hair metal ROCKS!!

I love bands like Shotgun Messiah, Faster Pussycat, D'molls, Poison, Warrant, Skid Row, Tuff, Motley Crue and a load more.
    they still get regular play on my ipod, along with newer stuff like Darknewday, Godsmack, Fuel, Newlydeads, Stone Sour... I could go on.
    I'm a fan of pretty much any rock as long as its singing and not grunting. Who cares what's metal and what's not - its all individual choice to me. I tend to call music I like Rock. To me, Metal is the original founders - primarily from the Black Country/ Birmingham area ie Sabbath, Priest, Ozzy etc

Hair metal ROCKS!!

I love bands like Shotgun Messiah, Faster Pussycat, D'molls, Poison, Warrant, Skid Row, Tuff, Motley Crue and a load more.
    they still get regular play on my ipod, along with newer stuff like Darknewday, Godsmack, Fuel, Newlydeads, Stone Sour... I could go on.
    I'm a fan of pretty much any rock as long as its singing and not grunting. Who cares what's metal and what's not - its all individual choice to me. I tend to call music I like Rock. To me, Metal is the original founders - primarily from the Black Country/ Birmingham area ie Sabbath, Priest, Ozzy etc

van halen too and diamond dave:D:D

"We built this city on Rock and Roll" by 'Starship'

or

"Jump" by 'Van Halen'

I would argue that "Jump" is the worst of these 2 songs;
    thats how much I hate Van Halen. The Keyboard solo/bridge in Jump (which is preceded by one of the most horrific guitar solos you'll ever hear) is what edges out "we built this city...".

It doesn't get worse than that.

Read this:-

"They've just got the wrong bit. They think that being fast and loud is the whole thing and it isn't. The guitar solos are not really difficult for a guitar player, it's just playing scales. To feel a solo and bend into it & I mean Hendrix is the best guitarist you've ever seen in your life. And he learned from people like Buddy Guy, Lightnin' Hopkins and people like that inspired Hendrix. To be influenced by something, you're gonna have to play it the same."

-Lemmy on hairmetal. (A.K.A. 'God')

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

"We built this city on Rock and Roll" by 'Starship'
    If it's good enough for Homer Simpson, it's good enough for me :).

• Advertisement

Wow you really hate Van Halen if you think Starship are better, well then you'll love this clip.

Apparently the synths were set on the wrong midi speed meaning the guitars were way out of tune with it

Hilarious

Advertisement