Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Are they metal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

kona wrote: »
    we have:rolleyes:

just yours is of the anal variety.:p

Says the Stryper enthusiast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

ZakAttak wrote: »
    Says the Stryper enthusiast.

never liked stryper................................. too crap.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

I can't honestly take anyone seriously if they class Def Leppard as a metal. They are simply just a....Rock band, Ok...sure they have ballads and mainstream material but their hard stuff is solid. I've been a fan since 1984 and enjoy the Dark songs: Wasted, Rock Rock Till You Drop, Billy's Gota Gun, High n' Dry, Mirror Mirror, Switch 625, Women, Desert Song, Ring Of Fire, Peral Of Euphoria, Paper Sun and recently from their new album "Go" and the fantastic "Bad Actress" ...and they ROCK live :cool:

I always think Leppard are a mix between Bowie, Queen and Thin Lizzy and I adore them all.

I don't enjoy Bon Jovi at all. I do still enjoy Guns' N' roses music but can't stand them live...very poor.

I can't stand Manowar (death to false metal :rolleyes: ). Metallica are class (St.Anger to be removed from their discgrophy) and last but not least No one can say anything negative on Maiden, regardless of their philosophy on making records that all sounds from the same era! ..Maiden is an institute.

"Wasted" - On Through The Night - 1980

"Rock Rock Till you Drop" - Pyromania - 1983

"Rocket" - Hysteria -1987

"Bad Actress" - Songs From the Sparkle Lounge - 2008

Suff wrote: »
    "Wasted" - On Through The Night - 1980

"Rock Rock Till you Drop" - Pyromania - 1983

"Rocket" - Hysteria -1987

"Bad Actress" - Songs From the Sparkle Lounge - 2008

==>We already know they're sh1t, so theres no need to illustrate the point!!!

• Advertisement

==>We already know they're sh1t, so theres no need to illustrate the point!!!

Actually it was to "illustrate" my point that they're great :D, if you don't like them it's fine no one is forcing them on you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

they definitely have some chops on guitar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I dont know if anyone here saw Def Leppard live in their early days. They were actually quite heavy!

They played Dublin in the TV Club just before they went to promote Pyromania in the States and it all took of for them. They really rocked the place.

Anyway all this "they aint heavy enough to be metal" is a bit neanderthal imo.:D Its a broad spectrum.

Also for all the Bon Jovi haters here,well fair enough, but have you ever seen them live? I know plenty of people who dont particularly like them but have seen them live and have been really impressed. They sure know how to put on a live show(or at least did a few years ago).

Also for all the Bon Jovi haters here,well fair enough, but have you ever seen them live? I know plenty of people who dont particularly like them but have seen them live and have been really impressed. They sure know how to put on a live show(or at least did a few years ago).[/quote]

==> Blender magazine's worst moments in music:

Number 11. “You Really Have to See Them Live.”
    First heard muttered by a proselytizing Grateful Dead fan sometime around minute 13 of the studio version of “Terrapin Station, Pt. 1,” this reflexive, defensive cry has long been used as an excuse for the existence of reams of irretrievably dull Phish, Widespread Panic and moe. records. If your studio albums feel limp compared with your live show, don’t put them out.

==>Bon jon is the worst offender of all, Micheal Bolton with a bit of guitar- terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

This thread is hilarious. ZakAttak going on about "real metal". :rolleyes: Anyone who ever uses the word real metal is not a fan of music, theyre just a fan of what they think is cool. I would guess zakattak is just an angsty teen too, because there is simply no excuse for going on about "real metal" if your an adult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Davei141 wrote: »
    Anyone who ever uses the word real metal is not a fan of music, theyre just a fan of what they think is cool.
    I dunno, I've often sat in a room watching the Scuzz or Kerrang channels when, for example, a Linkin Park video comes on and the air is filled with insults about them being fake, posers or not real metal. Sometimes I'm alone in the room ;).

malice_ wrote: »
    I dunno, I've often sat in a room watching the Scuzz or Kerrang channels when, for example, a Linkin Park video comes on and the air is filled with insults about them being fake, posers or not real metal. Sometimes I'm alone in the room ;).

:D

Wouldnt that back up my point though? Calling people fake and posers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

:D

Wouldnt that back up my point though? Calling people fake and posers..
    I don't think so but I do agree with you to a certain extent. To my mind Linkin Park are metal aimed at teens who are primarily concerned with image. Would Linkin Park be as marketable with, for example, Devin Townsend singing rather than Chester Bennington?

I think I posted on this thread earlier basically saying that music falls into two categories for me - either I like it or I don't. I'm not concerned with genres. I couldn't really describe the difference between black, thrash or death metal for example without telling you to go and listen to Dimmu Borgir, Metallica's Kill 'Em All and Arch Enemy and hear the difference for yourself :).

malice_ wrote: »
    I don't think so but I do agree with you to a certain extent. To my mind Linkin Park are metal aimed at teens who are primarily concerned with image. Would Linkin Park be as marketable with, for example, Devin Townsend singing rather than Chester Bennington?

I agree completely, everything is marketed at somebody though. I dont think you should insult LP because chester bennington doesnt look like devin townsend though. Whatever market chester still has a good voice and is a decent front man.
    malice_ wrote:
    I think I posted on this thread earlier basically saying that music falls into two categories for me - either I like it or I don't. I'm not concerned with genres. I couldn't really describe the difference between black, thrash or death metal for example without telling you to go and listen to Dimmu Borgir, Metallica's Kill 'Em All and Arch Enemy and hear the difference for yourself :).

I agree with you 100% there.

This thread is hilarious. ZakAttak going on about "real metal". :rolleyes: Anyone who ever uses the word real metal is not a fan of music, theyre just a fan of what they think is cool. I would guess zakattak is just an angsty teen too, because there is simply no excuse for going on about "real metal" if your an adult.

I'd say he's a fan of Manowar...death to all false Metal:rolleyes:

==> I like lots of different types of music, but I think its unfair to lump in sh1t commercial boll0cks in on top of real music by real people.

Garth Brooks and Johnny Cash both played a style of country n' western, but nobody could argue that Brooks was better- Clearly Cash was the more original and interesting of the 2. Brooks' music is intentionally bland and crappy.

Its often the same with metal, there are crap metal bands who adopt an image and adhere to all the clichés- and the music is intentianally bland and crappy. And then theres the real metal bands, made up of real people who don't put make-up on and make original and creative music.

Why not deal with my point instead of making personal insults? Is it because you've suddenly realised that bands like Ratt are sh1te?

I'd say he's a fan of Manowar...death to all false Metal:rolleyes:

==>No that isn't true, I don't like racist bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

==>No that isn't true, I don't like racist bands.

but ya like the homophobic ones!:D

motley never adopted a image, they made their image, as did most of the first generation of LA metal.

your talking ****e, if you didnt aim your music at a audience what the **** is the point?

And then theres the real metal bands, made up of real people who don't put make-up on and make original and creative music.

All bands are real regardless of their image or stlye..each band has a market, Music is busniess and not just rock n' roll.
    Also there's nothing wrong with Make-up...I don't ware it but you cannot judge on a band or muscian if they wear it, the likes of David Bowie, Alice Cooper, Kiss are leaders and have created a style of music that had inspired the bands we know today.
    Why not deal with my point instead of making personal insults? Is it because you've suddenly realised that bands like Ratt are sh1te?

No one is insulting you my friend, just humor...as for your point...well you need to clear it up better.

kona wrote: »
    but ya like the homophobic ones!:D

==>What do you base that on?

motley never adopted a image, they made their image, as did most of the first generation of LA metal.

==>I don't care where they got their image,in the end it didn't make their music any better.

your talking ****e, if you didnt aim your music at a audience what the **** is the point?

==>The point is to make good music regardless of any 'target audience'.

• Advertisement

All bands are real regardless of their image or stlye..each band has a market, Music is busniess and not just rock n' roll.

==>Theres music and theres the music industry. Theres spiritual enlightment and then theres the industry dedicated to trying to sell it to people (an utterly shameful act). You have to be able to seperate the two. If music industry leaders were to be trusted with dictating musical tastes then we'd all be listening to muzak.

Also there's nothing wrong with Make-up...I don't ware it but you cannot judge on a band or muscian if they wear it, the likes of David Bowie, Alice Cooper, Kiss are leaders and have created a style of music that had inspired the bands we know today.

==>If you're music is good then you shouldn't have to dress it up.

No one is insulting you my friend, just humor...as for your point...well you need to clear it up better.

==>Nobody has dealt with my point. I believe metal was one of the greatest artistic movements of the 20th century- it was original and the good bands stayed away from writing crap.Metal was a result of socio-economic changes coupled with the psychological effects of war. Crap-metal was the result of a bunch of losers who lacked creative thought and ended up writing corny pop songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Stones, GNR, Aerosmith, Black Crowes, AC/DC etc....
    All blues based good time rock and roll acts - none of them are metal in my book.

Stones, GNR, Aerosmith, Black Crowes, AC/DC etc....
    All blues based good time rock and roll acts - none of them are metal in my book.

==>I agree- good bands, but they're not metal.

Crap-metal was the result of a bunch of losers who lacked creative thought and ended up writing corny pop songs.
    Trust me no one will take you seriously when you post as the above.
    there's no good metal crap metal...I would categorise them into:

1.Classic Rock; AC/DC, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Queen, Rush, and Alice Cooper (Although Alice has a habit of following trends)
    2.Heavy Metal; Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Pantera, Ozzy,
    3.Teen Metal Linkin Park, My Chemical Romance, All American Rejects, Sum42 and the like....
    I listen to most of the above :o

and ofcourse I think every person must get acquainted with mr. Tom Waits
    I think its the next move...choose a singer/songwriter as you stared to develop a mature taste...

==>Nobody has dealt with my point. I believe metal was one of the greatest artistic movements of the 20th century- it was original and the good bands stayed away from writing crap.

Wake up. Not every metal band write deep thoughtful lyrics, the fact is alot of metal bands have a front man who's growl is an instrument and the lyrics are just there to fit the heavy sound. Are they not metal?
    Metal was a result of socio-economic changes coupled with the psychological effects of war. Crap-metal was the result of a bunch of losers who lacked creative thought and ended up writing corny pop songs.

Crap-Metal. Maybe it is crap, but its still metal. You make metal sound like some kind of cult...just enjoy the music.

Wake up. Not every metal band write deep thoughtful lyrics, the fact is alot of metal bands have a front man who's growl is an instrument and the lyrics are just there to fit the heavy sound. Are they not metal?

==>They are metal, Obituary spring to mind in this context. But the difference there is the music is really heavy and has a real edge to it. If it has really tinny guitars, no bass and high-pitched singing (which suits radio-play because bass never comes out good on small radios) then its just sh1te. pop boll0cks.

Crap-Metal. Maybe it is crap, but its still metal. You make metal sound like some kind of cult...just enjoy the music.

==>It doesn't sound like metal though, sounds more like pub-rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Who ****ing cares? There are only two genres of music: "Music you like" and "Music you don't like"

The rest is bull**** marketing buzzwords which makes it easier for HMV to stock their shelves. Who really gives a **** if a band are "Metal" or not? Are they good? That is all that matters. There is just as much commercially driven **** metal as there is with any other genre. This kind of labelling and segregating nonsense just doesn't exist outside of ****ty teen magazines and record shops. It doesn't matter in the real world.

As as for Johnny Cash, have a look at what he was doing in the 80's. He didn't just magically appear with Rick Rubin after leaving Sun, he has a long and illustrious trail of **** in his catalogue too ;)

Doctor J wrote: »
    Who ****ing cares? There are only two genres of music: "Music you like" and "Music you don't like"

==>But I get annoyed when I go and look up a band being called metal only to find they play soft crappy singalong boll0cks- and they're only calling themselves metal to lend themselves credibility.

The rest is bull**** marketing buzzwords which makes it easier for HMV to stock their shelves. Who really gives a **** if a band are "Metal" or not? Are they good? That is all that matters. There is just as much commercially driven **** metal as there is with any other genre. This kind of labelling and segregating nonsense just doesn't exist outside of ****ty teen magazines and record shops. It doesn't matter in the real world.

==>It does matter- I don't like saying this but it does. Whether you like it or not it does make life easier if HMV mark their shelves appropriately rather than leaving you to trawl through heaps of sh1t just to find the band you like.

As as for Johnny Cash, have a look at what he was doing in the 80's. He didn't just magically appear with Rick Rubin after leaving Sun, he has a long and illustrious trail of **** in his catalogue too ;)

==>I know (I too have heard that song he wrote about Ireland- now theres one for the Guantanamo bay playlist), but I still reckon he is miles better then Garth Brooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It does matter- I don't like saying this but it does. Whether you like it or not it does make life easier if HMV mark their shelves appropriately rather than leaving you to trawl through heaps of sh1t just to find the band you like.

Nah, if you know the name of the band you can search alphabetically, there's no need to trawl through anything.

ZZ Top are at the back :p

• Advertisement

Doctor J wrote: »
    Nah, if you know the name of the band you can search alphabetically, there's no need to trawl through anything.

ZZ Top are at the back :p

==>Its much easier if they put music of a kind together in the one place.

Advertisement