Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left handed rifle?

Options
  • 09-05-2008 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi I'm new to the forum. I'm thinking of getting a rifle (calibre to be decided) for hunting and vermin control.

I shoot left handed, are these much more expensive then right handed versions of the same model? or would I be able to use a right handed bolt without much discomfort?

any advice would be appreciated:).

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

If you can, I'd say get a lefty rifle. It will be more natural for you to shoot which should make you more accurate. The more accurate you are, the more humane your kills will be.

It's certainly possible for a left-hander to use many right-handed rifles without too much trouble, but if you're going to buy one you may as well get one that fits you properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Hi I'm new to the forum. I'm thinking of getting a rifle (calibre to be decided) for hunting and vermin control.

I shoot left handed, are these much more expensive then right handed versions of the same model? or would I be able to use a right handed bolt without much discomfort?

any advice would be appreciated:).

Ah, welcome to the wonderful world of left-handed shooting. :p It's a pain, but there are some interesting up-sides too.

To buy a left-handed rifle new will probably cost you a little more than a right-handed one. It probably won't be too much though, so definitely worth going for it. Only problem is that a rather large number of rifles aren't made in left-handed variants. You can use a right-handed bolt, and there are plenty of left-handed shooters out there doing just that with little to complain about, but I would much rather a true left-handed rifle myself. The interesting benefit is that while left-handed rifles are very difficult to track down second-hand, they're also very difficult to sell second-hand, and consequently change hands for far less money than their right-handed counterparts, so you can turn your inconvenience to an advantage in this method. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cpt.Blackadder

Thanks I'll have a look around for a leftie rifle so. Any recomendations on which type? I know the Remington 700 models comes in left handed but I love the look of the SAKO 85:D.

But if I see a remington 798 I may get that instead, I really love the mauser bolt (right handed or not).

Thanks I'll have a look around for a leftie rifle so. Any recomendations on which type? I know the Remington 700 models comes in left handed but I love the look of the SAKO 85:D.

But if I see a remington 798 I may get that instead, I really love the mauser bolt (right handed or not).

Hah! Join the club. I would dearly love a Sako 85 Bavarian, but it seems they only come in a right handed version, and I know reaching over the receiver for the bolt would get on my tits pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Savage also do left handed rifles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cpt.Blackadder

Hah! Join the club. I would dearly love a Sako 85 Bavarian, but it seems they only come in a right handed version, and I know reaching over the receiver for the bolt would get on my tits pretty quickly.
    Yeah but still.....it's so beautiful i'd put up with awkwardness:D
    1780.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

The Anschutz 1416 is also available as a left-handed rifle.

bild.php5?id=4675&maxwidth=600

rifle-1.jpg

rrpc wrote: »
    The Anschutz 1416 is also available as a left-handed rifle.

bild.php5?id=4675&maxwidth=600

I've used one of these. Very nice gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

and the winner is........ the sako 85 bavarian:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I've used one of these. Very nice gun.

One available at Stakelums, Urlingford, Co. Kilkenny ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭patrickdt10

One of the nicest rifles ive seen are the Heym bolt actions. They come in left handed models in either straight pull(sr30) or turn bolt(sr21) and they are an absolute joy to shoot - perfect balance. Only trouble is they are a little expensive.
    Oppositely a great rifle for lefties is the Ruger No.1 lever(martini) rifle. Have one in .220 swift and it is the most accurate rifle i have seen in a while.(I have managed quarter inch groups with it at 100 yards)
    Pros - not that expensive round 1k.
    Cons - its single shot. makes little differ though i think.

Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

ok well im a leftie and here my story. i started out with a right handed cz .17 hmr. could shoot it fine and at 100 yards could head shoot bunies. got one at 157 yards head shot so theres no problem with shooing right handed rifles for a leftie. the my dealer saw a left handed and got it for me. i didnt ask he just got it and called me. i changed immediatly and t is easier to use and engauging the safety is ten times easier.

i also own a tika t3 heavy barrel synthetic stock in leftie. it was hard to get but my dealer got me one in the uk and imported it for me. i was using mates righthanded one and i was grouping to 2 inches at 100 yards but when i switched i was sub one inch. its a tack driver.

next week ill be the pround owner of a mouser m03 in left handed also in 30-06 springfield and i cant wait. definetly its harder to get leftie rifles but if you have an understanding dealer he should help you out, i know a lot of them are not interested because its awkward.

my advice after being on both sides of the fence is to go leftie from the begining and dont look back.

incedently he have stock of cz .17 and .22 in left handed and also he has a left handed sako 75 in 30-06 that i ordered but didnt take. if you want his details pm me cause this sound like an add for him but it isn't.

btw a few of us call im the gun fairy - he can make all your dreams come true! --- well not ALL

Actually worth noting is that CZ do a lot of left-handed models, and being a very good rifle for very reasonable money, that's a pretty definite good thing in my books. Took me a while to find a left-handed target rifle for decent money, so I pounced when I could. :pac:

The rifles are out there though, with CZ, Savage, Tikka, Anschutz to a very small extent, and presumably plenty of others making them. The Savage range is quite good actually, was browsing their site a while back.

I'm also left handed.

Just a word of caution when allowing right handed shooters to fire from gun - some will hand it back with safety off as this would be the safe position for them (opposite) - always check & recheck safety catch when someone handles your left handed gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 a4775

im not sure what a sako 85 bavarian is, but i know you can get sako 85s in left hand

i just looked up the bavarian, they are a beautiful gun alright, not as nice as the 75s though i dont think
    they dont make many of them as they are kinda pricey, but i dont see why you couldnt get one in left hand

the only problem with getting left handed guns is it takes a long time
    it wouldnt be right to ask a dealer to have every model of gun in left hand, just in case someone wanted one
    if you are willing to wait a year or more then i dont see why you couldnt get the gun you want

Generally only a certain selection of models are made in left-hand, and some manufacturers are more limited than others. I remember Foxshooter243 made an enquiry for me relatively recently and the Bavarian doesn't seem to be made in a left-handed model, so as a lefty, options are limited enough, but there are definitely options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 a4775

did he ask sako or his local dealer?
    i cant believe sako would deny left handed people the pleasure of buying one of their guns, especially as that particular action is made left hand, only with different stocks

a local dealer might not be able to place his hands on a gun right away, but they can still be got
    you will just have to wait a year or two even, and nobody is really willing to wait that long for a gun

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

Try dave mulvihal in ballymahon. he has at leat 20 - 30 rifles in left handed in all calibers and makes.

Advertisement