Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red onion relish

• 09-05-2008 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, have any of you ever come across a recipe for red onion relish. I would be very grateful for any help.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

I make a red onion marmalade if that's the kind of thing you mean. It's really simple:

Ingredients:
    4 or 5 red onions
    4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 tbsp olive oil
    half a teaspoon of cane sugar
    pinch of hot chilli powder or dried chillies or 1 fresh green chilli finely chopped
    soy sauce (good quality i.e. Kikkoman)
    dash balsamic vinegar
    dash wine vinegar

1. Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan over a moderate heat.
    2. Add the onion and cook until it starts to soften, stirring occasionally. Stir in the sugar, chilli and garlic and continue cooking until the onions are well caramelized and have reduced right down to a marmalade consistency. Stir now and then to stop it sticking.
    3. Stir in soy sauce and vinegars to taste. Season with black pepper - you can add salt too if necessary but you probably won't need it with the soy sauce.

And that's it.

Advertisement