Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Brien found not guilty murder

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

OJ Simpson was also found "not guilty"......

Correct - He was not Guilty

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Probably because he knew he done nothing wrong ?

That doesn't mean he knew the jury were gonna find him "Not Guilty" though. I think a lot of people thought he would be jailed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'd imagine twil be a bit hard for him to drive buses with everyone and their aunt calling him a murderer. He might be innocent in court, but the public has already made up it's mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,318 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

dlofnep wrote: »
    I'd imagine twil be a bit hard for him to drive buses with everyone and their aunt calling him a murderer. He might be innocent in court, but the public has already made up it's mind.

Not really, he just sounds like a typical bus driver. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Sully wrote: »
    Ah, I thought the CCTV was just the car being parked. They didn't recognise the figure (which I am surprised they don't have the technology to give a clear picture) but the two keys were found. There was no evidence she got a third key, and if she did, they had to have both keys present and John admitted he had one all the time (I think?).

Tbh, I have my doubts he did it. I think he clearly has a temper but if he has a temper to murder - I have my doubts. But who else would? There was no suggestion in the slightest it might have been somewhere else? (Besides rumours that it was senior guards and crap). If he did, could he stand up in court and give evidence denying it? In court pressure bare in mind.

I think that had a big affect. But yes, I suppose if I was on the jury I could not say I was 100% sure. He was found not guilty, I respect that and I think everyone else just has to now.
    There were hundreds of exhibits of CCTV footage concerning both of their cars.

I don't understand the prosecutions theory regarding the Uluru car park, as given that his car was already parked in Tesco car park, it would have meant that her car was parked nearby for a period of time while he brought his car to Tesco. They seem to have forgotten that you can only drive one car at the same time. The only way for this to have been possible imo would have been with an accomplice? How do we know that any possible accomplice wasnt involved in the murder? How do we know that they weren't infact the murderer themself?

They also had an "expert locksmith" give evidence regarding the keys. This was proven to be woefully inaccurate by the previous owner of the car (a car hire company)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

No, we all dont. :)

I certinally didnt. I read the Irish Times or The Indo. I listened to the news on the Radio (Beat or 2FM). I think the coverage was very poor compared to the last murder case, so I dont think that our knowledge was much. Local papers gave a good description of each day and what was presented in court.

Beat FM? Sun Radio. Great source of information.:D Personally I have utter contempt for anyone who beats a woman - be it their wife or child. The lowest lifeform. They wouldn't be a squick to raise their fists to a man. Dirty rotten cowards the lot of them.:mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I see in one of the papers today (I didnt read it fully, just the first few lines in the shop) that Megs Daughter is now going to take civil action against O'Brien as she is not happy with the outcome of the case. Not that its gonna make to much of a difference, from what I understand it more gets money out of him and is another way of saying he did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

A civil action is a lot different, as you only have to prove something on the balance of probabilities, so she could succeed

A civil action is a lot different, as you only have to prove something on the balance of probabilities, so she could succeed

Id say she has a very high chance of succeeding. Question is, how much will he be "fined"? Will it make a difference to his carrer? (as in, if he is fined will his employers refuse to have him as an employee?).

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

It's hard to believe now he was found no guilty but they didn't have hard evidence, even though his accounts and statements were just unusual for a supposed innocent man to withhold evidence and not tell the whole truth to his whereabouts at the time. But with the Civil case if brought by the deceased woman's mother it would show up our Law system for what it is an utter disgrace, just like the Health service.

• Advertisement

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    But with the Civil case if brought by the deceased woman's mother it would show up our Law system for what it is an utter disgrace, just like the Health service.

Not really. The High Court judges things a lot different then a civil case. A civil case is based on probabilites while the High Court wants concerte proof.

Big-Slick-Poker: Its not a joke. Have some consideration to others when posting again. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Big-Slick-Poker: Its not a joke. Have some consideration to others when posting again. Thanks.

Lol serious Mod - Np :D still reckon u laughed:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Aimzey

Anyone who takes the bus from waterford to limerick will have the luck of having john o brien driving them.................

Its a touchy subject imo.................. Every1 is entitled to there opinion at the end of the day , but Hands up i taught he was a guilty man........
    During the Time of court he also lost his fahter, so the man needs time to grieve for his wife and hes father as he was constantly under the eye of the public and TV

He know has a case coming up where the man can get up to 7 months in prison for crashing into a polica car and also Meg Walsh daughter is also taking liable action against him..........

Hes away on vacaction at the mo ..... and back driving the bus's soon......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

I don't think the public had their mind made up regarding his guilt as much as posters here think.I know the rumour mill goes like wildfire around these things but the "word on the street" so to speak was that another individual had done this.The said individual cannot be charged or questioned due to events that transpired since Meg Walsh was killed.

I don't know if it's cops in general or just in Waterford but the cops in Ballybricken tend to have their mind made up beforehand.That is my opinion.
    I also believe there is a bad element up there going back many years that effects a certain number of the new generation that ends up being based in Waterford.Like I said it may be the gardai in general but I think it is something else.

Remember about 5 years ago the Waterford division aparently had the best detection rates in the country for several years in a row? It turnend out to be a scam.Remember the cop that was done last year or the year before for sexual harrassment and the events around it?(Disclosure: I am unequivocally stating I am not suggesting or implying this has anything to do with Meg Walsh's death) This guy had probably sent people to jail.Waterford in general tends to slip under the radar of the National media but if there is ever Donegal type corruption uncovered in Ballybricken I would not be surprised.

Advertisement