Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I think I need to increase my calorie intake or supplement my diet...

• 09-05-2008 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

History:

I am a 43 year and male

Jan 08: Height =5ft 8.5in, Weight = 15st (came down from 15st 7lbs in previous 6mts) BMI = 31.5, smoked 20 cigarettes/day. 3 years ago I completed a few sprint triathlons, so I was moderately fit but then I had a bad attack of vertigo and this put pay to any training as I couldn’t even walk in a straight line and the habit of training was broken.

May 08: Height = still 5ft 8.5in , = 13st BMI = 27.3 (still overweight category), haven’t smoked since Jan 4th. Training 5-6 days a week.

Target:
    Height 6ft (tough to attain), Weight 12st 7lbs, BMI 26 (not too worried about this) Complete this year, Dublin Marathon plus all Adidas training races (5ml, 10ml and 13.1ml), 3 of the Dublin Duathlon series (2ml run, 10ml bike, 2ml run), 4 triathlons, 2 Olympic, 2 sprint.

I am keeping a detailed calorie intake log and also a training log to chart my progress. I watch that I eat during the week but enjoyed meals out and a few glasses of wine/beer at the weekend. I reckoned my calorie intake should have been around 2000 and to get any weight loss I needed as my wife says when asked how she has lost 2+st “ eat less, move more” so I keep my intake to between 1300- 1800, at the weekend it would hit 2500+. My approximate calorie saving per week is around 2500.

Training started with just getting a few hundred meters on the threadmill completed and an easy weights program, now with the good weather I am training a lot more and in a week would cover the following:
    Bike = over 240km - Mainly commute to work (only started this week) and a weekend run of about 60Km)
    Run = between 40 -50 KM – at least 3*11km and one longer run of 16-20km
    Swim = 6000m, three 2000m sessions
    Weights – nothing too strenuous, but would do around 20-30 mins of lightish weights 3 time a week

Usual daily routine when cycling to work
    6am up and ½ fresh grapefruit + banana
    Cycle to gym – 30Km
    5 km run
    8:30am Get to office and have a very large bowl of porridge with a handful of raisons and a handful of mixed seeds – use slimline milk (200mls)
    10:30 – Apple or a 80g tin of tuna.
    12:30 – Chicken wrap with sweetcorn, peppers, onion. – no spread or sauces
    15:30 - Apple or a 80g tin of tuna.
    18:00 – cycle home – 30KM (one evening I did a 3km run off the bike as I need to work on my running coming off a long bike ride)
    20:00 – dinner, usually lean meat/fish with salad or veg (no potatoes)
    21:30 – Swim 2000m
    23:00 – tea with a treat (either purple snack or kitkat)
    23:30 – bed

On days I don’t cycle to work
    6am up and ½ fresh grapefruit
    7:00am very large bowl of porridge with a handful of raisons and a handful of mixed seeds – use slimline milk (200mls)
    10:30 – Apple or a 80g tin of tuna.
    12:00 – 11KM run followed by 30 mins in the gym
    14:00 - Chicken wrap with sweetcorn, peppers, onion. – no spread or sauces
    15:30 - Apple or a 80g tin of tuna.
    20:00 – dinner, usually lean meat/fish with salad or veg (no potatoes)
    21:30 – Swim 2000m
    23:00 – tea with a treat (either purple snack or kitkat)
    23:30 - bed
    I would usually have 3-4 large Americano coffees during the day, black with no sugar.

Problem: Obviously I am delighted with the weight loss and fitness increase but I still have a few lbs to go and I know to sustain the amount of exercise I am doing requires more calories, I don’t particularly feel hungry but yesterday I didn’t feel a 100% in work and as the amount of biking increased this week as I only started to cycle to work this week (3 times, 30KM each way) I was wondering if the two are related. I know I need to increase my calorie intake but I am wondering if I need to change when I eat (i.e do I need to eat more before cycling to work or going for a run?) or should I add a high nutritional drink/supplement to my diet after training?

Any nutritional advice would be welcomed.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Davittdr wrote: »

Target:
    Height 6ft (tough to attain),

You know that you can't get taller, right? No amount of exercise or food is going to make you grow 4 inches at 43.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

I don’t particularly feel hungry but yesterday I didn’t feel a 100% in work and as the amount of biking increased this week as I only started to cycle to work this week (3 times, 30KM each way) I was wondering if the two are related.

Without a doubt and believe me if you don't start eating more it's going to get worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

I am a 43 year and male

Target: Height 6ft (tough to attain),

Unless you have come up with a scientific breakthrough, change tough to impossible.

Fair play on the results so far.

However, way too much volume + too little cals = :(

Your programme is not sustainable.

TBH I would look at getting a coach or joining an athletics club if you're training for triathalons and such like. A coach would help you structure a more well thought out training programme.

I also think you need to re-vamp your whole diet. IMO you need:
    -more calories
    -more protein
    -more healthy fats
    -more starchy carbs
    - less caffine

I would read all the stickies here and on the fitness forum regarding this. They should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Also have a look at your sleeping. Six hours a night is going to catch up with you pretty soon too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Lads, I think he was kidding about height thing!

Otherwise, I agree with the above, looks like very little kcals for somebody who does as much endurance exercise as you do. I know you are losing weight and that's great and all - and congrats on the hard work so far - but you want to be careful not to undereat too.

Advertisement