Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Chipping a 90bhp Golf???

Options
  • 09-05-2008 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I was just wondering would it be worth my while to get my car chipped.

Its a mark 4 golf tdi (90bhp)

Would I see any significant improvement performance-wise. I'm asking this because my car is only the 90bhp version. Maybe it would be more suitable for the 110 or 130 versions??

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

only differences enginewise from the 90 and the 110 are the turbo and the injectors. You could get them swapped over and then get it all remapped and you'd be looking at 130-150. This figure depends on the tune you get and the state of you engine etc. Dont bother getting it remapped without the above changed or it won't be worth your while.

200 bhp is actually achievable from that engine if you have enough dosh, but most people looking for that figure start with the gt tdi or the 130 version!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

you would probably only get to about 100 - 110 bhp by chipping the 90bhp, you could look into the parts the previos poster mentioned and get them changed too, remember to check if the 110 or 130 version has better brakes etc as well though as i'd reccomend upgrading these too as you upgrade your power

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Superchips website say that you'll get 116hp from one of their remaps but VAG turbo engines are usually underrated for HP so you won't see too much of an increase. The big difference comes from torque from chipping these cars anyway.

A rebuilt turbo for your car will cost £450 from england. I don't know how much injectors would cost, say 200euro at a guess.

So you get turbo(600), remap(300), injectors(200) and fitting(400) = 1500euro.

Buy a 130 PD Tdi instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

Gazza91 wrote: »
    I was just wondering would it be worth my while to get my car chipped.

Its a mark 4 golf tdi (90bhp)
    Yes it would indeed be worthwhile. Your engine is around 95bhp in reality. I had a friend make 142bhp on a rolling road before his remap on a PD130!

Ed in www.turbotech.ie can remap your car and it will cost €3-400 depending on if yout throttle is fly-by-wire.

Just to give you an idea of the difference a remap makes, I had a PD130 Passat with a remap and it was far more powerful and quicker than my friends PD150 Golf, which is a good bit lighter!

Advertisement