Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The impact of partition on economy and society, north and south?

Options
  • 09-05-2008 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭

Any ideas? I got about a page and a half out of boundary commision and economic. Would you put in the civil war etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

Fuascailt wrote: »
    Any ideas? I got about a page and a half out of boundary commision and economic. Would you put in the civil war etc?

na i wouldnt put in civil war.... you could say how the north got a good start because it didnt have a civil war like the south but i wouldnt go into the little details like michael collins etc.

:pac: society>>say how it drove the north closer to britain...south became a "neighbour"....seperate countries idea.

:pac: south could control all its affairs i think.....north basically had a home rule parliament. maybe slap that in society if ur stuck

:pac: there were no clear societal majorities in north and south...protestants north catholics south.....use religion there too sure

:pac: feeling northern catholics were sold out and now isolated...

:pac: unionists controlled parliament because of their permanent control on government...2:1 ratio over nationalists

:pac: divided ireland permamently

:pac: in the boundary commision did you say how it had been leaked and cosgrave had to fix it up nice and quickly so it was left unchanged..could get an extra 2 marks

hope it helped. i whipped all these out of less stress :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

Thanks, i'll hopefully stretch the sixty marks out of that. I'll just hope it doesnt come up! Like we're doing with the space race.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

You could stick in all the social trouble up north immediately after partition, which goes into job losses for Catholics, Orange marches, the Specials, the RUC, the Special Powers Act, the shipyards after people coming back from WW1...

But as for the South, I suppose you could say that partition really was the nail in the coffin for politicians in the south, because it seemed to show Irish politicians as helpless to stop it... and then go on about the economy in the 1920s? I suppose the Treaty would come into it, and the civil war to a certain extent.

That's a sticky essay.

Advertisement