Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australia backpacking...

• 09-05-2008 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Hey , Whats the best way as far as accomodation goes,
    id like to go for maybe 2-3 months, I can't work there as im 30,
    (AFAIK thats too old for the work-travel visa)

but i know plenty of people go to Aus on RTW trips, what's the best (cheapest) way for sleeping ? hostels ? what is a cheap hostel in Auz roughly ?
    i remember in the USA it was about $20 US per night ..

Also , i was lookign at flights, i looked on Qantas page, they seem to be €1300 return. Any way of getting cheaper flights ? I saw a guy on here who is
    going on a RTW trip and his budget for flights was 2500-3000 € !!! which since he had a huge itinery was amazing value i thought...

Cheers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Anyone ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

I think you can still apply for the Australian Working Holiday Visa provided you apply before you turn 31 - you might have to make it quick!

Update: Looking at the Australian Immigration site, it seems to be as long as you apply before you turn 31. So if you apply before your 31st birthday and are successfully granted it, which could be in theory after you turn 31 (though when I applied for mine it was approved in about an hour), you can enter Australia with it when you're 31 (you have 12 months to enter Australia once it has been granted to you and then lasts 12 months once you enter, so you could be near or even turned 33 by the time you are finished!)

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-first.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

It impossible to give you prices for Hostels in Australia. I went all around and the pricis varied so much. Depends on where you are (big city/small town/suburb) depends on the time of year etc... The best thing is to get a list of places when you are heading to a big city and ring around, in the smaller towns the options are less so you will only have to ring one or two places. Lonely Planet is good for these lists.

Hostels are obviously the cheapest, however camp sites are even cheaper if you are going to be driving around Oz. Thats what we did and we saved a fortune. Some of the campsites are even nicer than some of the hostels. Off course this only really works if you are driving and can load up the tent and all other camping accessories too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ms.gnosis

hi there, Im an aussie and ive had many friends visit from overseas.. I'm sure you can still get a working visa up to 31 (30 is included) Also even if you didnt have a work visa there's plently of bar your $10 an hour but its something and thats cash in had.. I've worked cash in had in melbourne before (crap job during college) but it was handy enough! as for tickets my mate just went in feb 08 and he flew korean air return from dublin to melbourne for €1,100 thats pretty darn good if you ask me! cheaper some times to fly from london tho! As for hostels... dunno.. just dont stay in the all nations hostel in melbourne its a pit! haha.. might be cheap enough tho im guessing! alos camping is the business!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well there's a hostel beside where I work here in Perth that's offering beds for $114 per week which is pretty damn good. Obviously you'll be sharing with others for that price but that doesn't matter if it's only to lay your head at night.

Plenty of cash in hand jobs available, especially if you have some sort of trade behind you.

As for flights, €1300 for a straight out return flight to Oz isn't bad at all to be honest. Depends what month you're coming over in as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Plenty of cash in hand jobs available

Jasus Xavi, is that what your upto in Oz?

Feelgood wrote: »
    Jasus Xavi, is that what your upto in Oz?

Nah I'm lucky enough to be a citizen so all above board work for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Lol, I'm not sure if he's being sarcastic or if he hasn't realised!

But back on topic, how much do you reckon you could get by on per day in Oz if you were staying in hostels and taking buses around etc? Would it be much hassle to get a van and do things that way? $$$?

Lol, I'm not sure if he's being sarcastic or if he hasn't realised!

Oh I realised alright. Just didn't want to give him the satisfaction!

Anyway, blow jobs pay more :pac:

Advertisement