Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduction to Greek Philosophy. Phil 10070

Options
  • 09-05-2008 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know what to study for this exam. I picked it as an elective hoping it would be just Plato and then missed alot of lectures once I saw the essay titles. What are people studying for this and is the exam split in two by the lecturers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭imarugbyball

There is an exam for each lecturer. I have no idea whats going to be on though, which is fairly hilliarious since ive been to 2 lectures (boringiest thing ever ryt?) and im only logging onto blackboard nao.

The second half will probably be something to do with plato and the immortality of the soul fitting in with the idea of the forms or something but were supposed to have read books and stuff that ive never heard of. Hello failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I had to do the last day of Socrates for Greek and Roman Civilisation. Great lecturer, nice guy, unfortunately Greek philosophy is very boring. I'd avoid it in future, unless you really love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I picked it because I got a B+ in a 2nd year Plato course in GRC last year but seeing as the essay was on Plato I don't think he's gonna show up on the exam and there's no past papers

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

Who are the teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Infernon

Who are the teachers?

Lecturers are Prof. Fran O'Rourke and Dr. Tim Crowley. Fran was running the first part of this course,from Pre Socratics to Plato. Tim is taking from him and focusing mainly on Aristotle. Fran may not be a great lecturer,but he is a very good writer,and his notes on blackboard proved to be very handy and elaborated.
    As for exam,as a student for this module,you should have received this e-mail from Tim regarding the exam layout:
    In response to a number of queries about the layout for the examination for the Introduction to Greek Philosophy module I am happy to offer the following information:

1. The exam paper will be in two parts, one part for the topics covered by Professor O'Rourke, and the other for what I am doing (Plato's Dialogues).

2. There will be three or four questions in each section. Students must answer three questions, at least one from each section.

3. Past exam papers are available online:
    Go to
    https://jack.ucd.ie/pls/portal30/web_epms.web_epms_main_menu.show
    and follow instructions.

4. The past exam papers provide a good guide to what to expect on Professor O'rourke's side. But the focus on my side of the module is rather different to that in previous years. My questions will be on topics drawn from the selection of Plato's dialogues that we are covering (see outline in Blackboard). Students should expect the topics that I am selecting for special attention in the lectures to be relevant to the exam questions.

I hope that helps.
    Clear enough? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Infernon

Oops,I just noticed this thing is a year old... /mefool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

bubs we're all dying to know...did ya pass?

Advertisement