Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet Desktop PC (build or buy) for €500 appox

• 09-05-2008 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi,
    Looking for some help.
    Looking to build or buy a PC for around the 500 mark (or cheaper if possible).
    Main requirements are:
    - Lots of hard drive space (1tb)
    - Very, very quiet (want to keep it in a bedroom and sleep with it on)
    - Gaming is not important
    - Will be using it for some graphics/web work (Dreamweaver/Flex/Photoshop/Flash)
    - If possible a good quality monitor included.
    - Fast processor and fast memory (as I will be using it for developing large applications).

Most important thing is probably the quietness, everything else is negotiable. I don't mind building one as I am pretty proficient with both the hardware and the software side of thing.
    Mostly I'm looking for bargains, either for a complete system (preferably with a monitor) or components. Don't mind buying a cheap complete system and upgrading it.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

angryInch wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking for some help.

Most important thing is probably the quietness

Re the hard drive quiteness : in the BIOS in most systems u can change the hard drive to run in quite or normal mode

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Energizeer

Liquid cooling is something you might look into.
    However that is something you don't want to buy cheapy cheapy cause if it leaks ur silent pc will be a swamp...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Theres a 1tb external on komplett for around €120, its a external though if thats a problem

that would save ya a lot of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Head over to adverts and buy something 2nd hand.
    Lots of top quality machines that are very very reasonably priced.
    Have 3-4 bought from it over the past few years, everyone a real bargin.
    Worth a look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Another option is to buy from Dell, and then retro fit a PC noise reduction kit, they available on line or try Maplins. I think they're easy to fit too. You could add the other hard drive at the same time. If you are buying Dell their new Vostro's are fairly quite, and fairly cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Building and upgrading forum may be a useful place to check with too:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Sorry but you are looking around the €900 for a decent system. Be it built by us, Dell or yourself.

Advertisement