Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai Trainee For 30 Something

Options
  • 09-05-2008 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭

I'm half thinking about throwing my hat in the ring for this at the minute.

It would have made more sense for me to apply for this a couple of years ago before I had mortgages,loans a wife and child but I am still thinking about it as it's a better long term career than what I'm at the moment(Self employed taxi driving !! )

Anyone any knowledge of whether a mortgage provider would be willing to differ payments if I were to get the green light and go into the training period ?

If/upon completion of training would the powers that be take into account my family situation when stationing a Guard ?

Anyone any knowledge of these issues either first or second hand ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Getting out of the taxi game must be your first priority!

Mortgage providers are usually willing to allow customers defer payments in such circumstances but I cannot confirm for defo. The Garda Credit Unions are very helpful to people in your situation and they will usually allow you to borrow about 20k to clear maybe existing debts and maintain mortgage repayments until you are qualified.
    Your family situation will be taken into consideration once you make it be known. You wont be in your area but they should be able to locate you reletively near (particulalrly if you are from one of the big cities)
    First things first though, get out of that taxi game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jdq

Yeah getting out of the taxi game would be a good start, not that I have a clue about any of this stuff - Its probably a bad idea to join the guards from a monetary point of view only, it would be down the list a bit for me, its something you would really need to consider all aspects of, not just the €€€....my two cents, hope this helps & good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

there's one or two people currently in the recruitment process in roughly the same situation as yourself. Wife , kids and a mortgage im sure one of them will give you a shout on here when they see the thread.

Its probably a bad idea to join the guards from a monetary point of view only

It isn't about that, its job security I'm after and a reasonablly good career.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I'm half thinking about throwing my hat in the ring for this at the minute.

?

Half thinking? that'll go down a treat!!

itsallaboutheL

Constructive post, nothing better for doing, no ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

i knew i was going to get a reply such as that. its just that you're kinda maybe you know how it is possibly thinking of joining AGS because it kind of seems like a good idea, and you'll get good money and shur jesus there's a pension and i'll have no trouble getting in there all thick as sh1t. without taking in to account that is one of those jobs that you genuinely should be suited to, and want in a big way. (and yes i do use oxford commas too much even if i cant spell, hey we cant all be great)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jdq

It isn't about that, its job security I'm after and a reasonablly good career.

Still the wrong answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Your family situation will be taken into consideration once you make it be known. You wont be in your area but they should be able to locate you reletively near (particulalrly if you are from one of the big cities)
    First things first though, get out of that taxi game!

I'm in a diffferent situation i'm in my early thirties and i wanted to join the gardai even when i was in school, (my dad was sgt i/c in my hometown) but i failed the medical :( (i think i have that problem sorted now)
    So now almost 12 years later i'm thinking about it again but not sure what i should do i am now married to a garda with a 7 year old, hubby is dead against it, my dad is not as positive as he was the first time round so do i listen to them or do my own thing?
    Would be interested in hearing an opinion from serving members out there, would you be happy having your wife join the gardai?
    And where would i be stationed approximately? Could i end up at the same station as my hubby? I assume not as he would be senior to me and that would create hassle so i am thinking it'll be the other side of the county (we don't live where he is stationed)
    Any other comments welcome too

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

I really think you should discuss this in depth with the people closest to you. You are fortunate in respect of the fact that both your husband and father have served or are serving in the force. They will have a wealth of knowledge to offer but you have to choose whats best for you and your family.
    Best of luck

I really think you should discuss this in depth with the people closest to you. You are fortunate in respect of the fact that both your husband and father have served or are serving in the force. They will have a wealth of knowledge to offer but you have to choose whats best for you and your family.
    Best of luck

Cheers, I think the main issue with both of them is one of personal safety i know i've heard some horror stories over the years but i would be interested / curious to know if it is just them being over protective or would other serving members feel the same about their spouses joining the gardai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Cheers, I think the main issue with both of them is one of personal safety i know i've heard some horror stories over the years but i would be interested / curious to know if it is just them being over protective or would other serving members feel the same about their spouses joining the gardai?

For some inside on personal safety, read this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055276796

It sounds scary at first, but it's not as bad as it sound is really.

Remember, according to the Insurance company statistics, truck driver, builder or farmer are more dangerous jobs than Garda so you have mych better chance to get seriously ijured driving a truck than being a policeman.

ojewriej wrote: »
    For some inside on personal safety, read this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055276796

It sounds scary at first, but it's not as bad as it sound is really.

Remember, according to the Insurance company statistics, truck driver, builder or farmer are more dangerous jobs than Garda so you have mych better chance to get seriously ijured driving a truck than being a policeman.

Unfortunately my husband is one of those who sustained a serious injury on duty in the DMA, can't go into details for obvious reasons but he was in hospital for 6 months and still has ongoing problems which have left him on restricted duty for remainder of his service, so it's kinda obvious why he doesn't want me to join up!:(

Well i have done the online application on publicjobs.ie now we wait and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

I'm in a diffferent situation i'm in my early thirties and i wanted to join the gardai even when i was in school, (my dad was sgt i/c in my hometown) but i failed the medical :( (i think i have that problem sorted now)
    So now almost 12 years later i'm thinking about it again but not sure what i should do i am now married to a garda with a 7 year old, hubby is dead against it, my dad is not as positive as he was the first time round so do i listen to them or do my own thing?
    Would be interested in hearing an opinion from serving members out there, would you be happy having your wife join the gardai?
    And where would i be stationed approximately? Could i end up at the same station as my hubby? I assume not as he would be senior to me and that would create hassle so i am thinking it'll be the other side of the county (we don't live where he is stationed)
    Any other comments welcome too

Thanks
    ya go for it try and talk himself round, though you msy get stationed anywhere...:)

shakin wrote: »
    ya go for it try and talk himself round, though you msy get stationed anywhere...:)

Isn't there some rule that i can't be stationed within a certain radius of my home town? (which is Ennis) OH stationed in west clare so i'd be hoping for East Clare / Limerick or Galway, given that I have a 7 year old i would imagine they'll be fairly reasonable about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Isn't there some rule that i can't be stationed within a certain radius of my home town? (which is Ennis) OH stationed in west clare so i'd be hoping for East Clare / Limerick or Galway, given that I have a 7 year old i would imagine they'll be fairly reasonable about it?

maybe yer oul fella knows someone!:D
    im sure they would be sympathetic but whether you will get it or not is another thing. sure if you got anywhere near you could drive

Advertisement