Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promise me you'll leave the light on...

Options
  • 09-05-2008 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭

I recently finished The Witch of Portobello - Paulo Coelho. I'd highly recommend it to anyone. Written in interview format, with an endnote from a special person in Athena's life, it tells the story of Athena, an abandoned Gypsy child adopted by Lebanese parents, focusing on her adult life. I think I've been bitten by the Coelho bug and will have to get my mitts on more. It's not brain surgery, but it's a nicely-paced fiction that made me look at my life differently.

Currently reading: The Edible Woman - Margaret Atwood.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Having read The Edible Woman I know I enjoyed it - I love the way Atwood writes - but I can't decide why I like this particular novel. I think it might be a bit like what you get with some of her other novels - it's hard to pinpoint what exactly spins the skeleton of the story into the tale it becomes. In theory, it should be boring - Marian's life is hardly exciting, her friends and boyfriend are either odd, overbearing or pathetic (or a combination of the three) and she has a nasty habit of rolling under beds or running off in the middle of the night on her own. However, there is something about Marian which makes her more endearing than one would expect. Marian's saving grace is her real-ness. Well worth a read.

Currently reading: The Scarlet Pimpernel - Baroness Emmuska Orczy

I loved The Scarlet Pimpernel. Although it's totally predictable it's a novel everyone should read. It's entertainingly written, a very easy read, and the slightly classical style of writing is charming. The use of formulaeic phrases is more entertaining than anything else. Something I'll read again!

Followed by: The Shakespeare Secret - J. L. Carrell.

I found The Shakespeare Secret quite entertaining to a point. The story in itself was a bit far fetched, and at times I found myself wondering why exactly it was so vital that the protagonist flit constantly across the globe, and what the real importance of the final document was - sure, it was of interest, but it seemed so minor in comparison to the effort involved. The end of the novel was a total disappointment - a love story ending for the sake of it. Something never quite gelled about the tale, too many things seemed coincidental and although it was enjoyable for what it was, it's not a novel I'll be holding on to for future reading.

Followed by: The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho

I adored The Alchemist. It was incredibly simple and inspiring, encouraging and thought provoking. If ever a book can make you feel empowered to do anything, The Alchemist is that book. Something I believe everyone should read at least once in their lives, I finished it in one sitting (not difficult as it is quite a short novel) and immediately passed it on.

Currently reading: The Fifth Mountain - Paulo Coelho.

The Fifth Mountain was true to Coelho's style, and once again I enjoyed it. Passing references to his other novels are very subtle, but I really enjoyed making the links. Quite religious in content, it doesn't come across as a particularly preachy novel. Yet another book I have enjoyed.

Currently reading: By The River Piedra I Sat Down And Wept - Paulo Coehlo

• Advertisement

By The River Piedra I Sat Down And Wept follows a week in the life of a student and an old friend who are reunited and realise that they both still love eachother, however everything - including divine forces - conspire against them. Once again, heavily influenced by christianity, but a wonderful novel nonetheless.

Currently reading: The Hogfather - Terry Pratchett.

People have been harping about the genius of Terry Pratchett, or dismissing his work as trash, for as long as I can remember. I found The Hogfather entertaining, but no work of great literary genius. Many of the concepts are twisted nicely together, however, I couldn't help but feel as though I was missing something with many of the jumps between groups of characters. A bit like the jerk at the bottom of the bunjee cord, the transitions weren't smooth and I'm still wondering about one or two of the seemingly meaningless leaps from one place to another with references to people who still seem totally unnecessary to the whole tale and no reference to others whose roles in the tale were altogether more substantial. I find it very frustrating, and not at all equal to the few laughs in the end. For all that, it's a very smart story, and worth reading for an insight into Pratchett's imagination.

Currently reading: Postcards - Annie Proulx

Postcards has the pathetic air of an abandoned house. None of the characters ever really prosper and a stale air of desolation emanates from the pages. This was my first time reading Proulx and I will definitely be looking at her other novels and short stories.

Currently reading: A Child Called It - Dave Pelzer

A Child Called It was just like every other autobiographical account of an abused child. It sounds awful to say that, but to be honest, there are so many indepth insights into the struggles and sufferings of abused children. Same old, same old, sadly.

Currently reading: A Perfect Moment - Mary Hosty

A Perfect Moment - typical Irish chick lit.

Currently reading: Tess of the D'Urbervilles

• Advertisement

I had started Tess a number of times, but never finished, for a variety of reasons, despite really liking Hardy. I finally read the whole novel this time (majorly delighted with myself) and am happy to say that although I enjoyed it (it was far better than The Hand of Ethelberta) it's not a patch on Far from the Maddening Crowd, which has to be my favourite Hardy novel so far. Bathsheba is one of the most striking female protagonists in any novel I've ever read. Ok, that aside, Tess is occasionally bland, and I really wanted to bash herself and Angel over the head at times - emphasis on the importance of communication coming through clearly, thanks Tommy! - but in the end I don't think I'd change her. Her self-sacrificing manner is never as preachy as you expect it to become, and she has a backbone of steel, despite the mental issues in the end. There's something admirable about her. I think I'm going to introduce a rating scheme from here on out.

Tess of the D'Urbervilles - 4/5

Currently reading: The Little Friend - Donna Tartt.

The Little Friend invaded my life to the point that I'm not sure whether I'm happy that the ending was so open-ended that I can continue the story in my head, or frustrated that Tartt didn't give me more of a satisfying conclusion to Harriet's plight. I'm left with so many unanswered questions about how Harriet's life pans out. Hely, a relatively minor character in the grander scheme of things, and a potential love interest for Harriet into the future, is given more of a defined existence after the closure of the novel than any other character, which is both a little odd and rather unfair. All in all, I enjoyed the novel quite a lot. There's something achingly human about the events that unfold, and the sequences of events could only be spurred into action by someone as inquisitive and sharp as 12 year old Harriet. Highly recommended.

The Little Friend - 4.5/5

Currently reading: Bodily Harm - Margaret Atwood.

Bodily Harm made me bawl like a baby. Typically Atwood, totally honest and balder than Homer Simpson. Rennie, a journalist, has a mastectomy after breast cancer, and her relationship breaks up. When offered the opportunity to do some travel writing, she jumps at the opportunity, and what ensues is remarkable.

Atwood spares us a lot of the graphic detail that would make this novel particularly touching and effecting, however her subtle hints at the currency and cultural intricacies of the islands Rennie visits implies enough to render the reader speechless and bring tears to my eyes at least.

4/5

Currently reading: Sexing the Cherry - Jeanette Winterson

Sexing the Cherry is a charming, charming little novella. History, magic and fantasy intertwine with pineapples and bananas to create a wonderful taste of Winterson's imagination.

4.5/5

Currently reading: Jemima J - Jane Green

Jemima Jones is a journalist stuck in a rut. A wonderful chick lit novel, inspiring and funny for what it is. A lighthearted, fluffy novel to put a smile on your face.

3.5/5

Currently reading: Babyville - Jane Green.

Babyville was the most god-awful rubbish, even by my low standards.

1.5/5

Currently reading: The Night Watch - Sarah Waters.

How do you like your second world war fiction? With a touch of lesbianism? Well then this is the novel for you. I actually enjoyed it quite a lot, it was interesting to see how everyone was linked together by desperation and the necessity to persevere.

4/5

Currently reading: Veronika Decides to Die - Paulo Coelho

Veronika Decides to Die wasn't bad. Interesting concept.

3.5/5

Currently reading: School's Out - Christophe Dufossé

I'm still a bit perplexed by Dufossé. Weird and wonderful, menacing, I wish I hadn't read it as quickly because I really want to go back to the beginning and start again, without knowing any of it.

Are kids really that creepy?

Currently reading: The Robber Bride - Margaret Atwood
    Johnathan Strange & Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clarke

Johnathan Strange & Mr. Norrell is on hold for the moment, I keep getting distracted.

The Robber Bride was fantastic. I really enjoyed the shadows Zenia cast on the three main protagonist's lives, and the futility of their anxieties. No huge twists, but very entertaining and interesting.

4/5

Currently reading: The Almost Moon - Alice Seabold

• Advertisement

The Almost Moon - It took me quite a while to get into the novel. It's not as interesting or entertaining as The Lovely Bones, which is a fantastic story, but it is suitably morbid.

3.75/5

Currently Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connolly.

The Book of Lost Things was fantastic. A corruption of fairy tales into a wonderful and fantastically readable novel. Highly recommended.

4.5/5

Currently reading: On Writing - Stephen King.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Blush_01 wrote: »
    A Child Called It was just like every other autobiographical account of an abused child. It sounds awful to say that, but to be honest, there are so many indepth insights into the struggles and sufferings of abused children. Same old, same old, sadly.

Currently reading: A Perfect Moment - Mary Hosty
    I read 'A Child Called It' and the sequel ('A boy called David' I think it was called.) I thought it was the most horrific case of abuse I've ever read.This was pure neglect and starvation by the boy's own mother while the other kids in the family were treated normally.You could open the book at any page and it would contain horrific details. There's another book to do with the case written by David's brother who after David was taken into care, became the mother's next victim.

Thanks for that Ann, but I'm not interested in reading any more of his life story. I don't like his writing style, I don't find him engaging enough to negate the sense of detachment his writing perpetuates.

I'd also hazard to suggest that the other members of David's family were far from treated normally. Being used as a pawn to perpetuate abuse on a sibling isn't normal practice as I have seen it in a family.

Stories like his are unfortunately ten a penny, and many of those ten are far better written.

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Currently reading: On Writing - Stephen King.

I'm still reading and re-reading On Writing. I really enjoy it, if some of the spelling/grammar suggestions are irrelevant given linguistic differences between American and Irish English.

Currently reading: Million Little Pieces - James Frey

Million Little Pieces is fantastic. I love Frey's writing style and although at times it is difficult to believe that it is an accurate factual account it is shockingly real. I can't wait to read the sequel "My Friend Leonard".

Currently reading: Melmoth the Wander - Charles Robert Maturin

Advertisement