Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sit up and Take notice, YOU need to READ this!

Options
  • 09-05-2008 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Rather dramatic title as I wanted to arouse the curiousity of everyone who reads this section. But, this IS something you need to read and take proper consideration of.

Hearing damage

hearing loss and tinnitus

Came home from work in good humour, had a long day and I was happy to finish up for the week. I'm also looking forward to going out shooting tonight

But, I was on another site earlier and read a topic posted by a very knowledgeable shooter and all around decent bloke. Like a lot on here he wouldn't be firing hundreds of rounds down a range, he mostly hunts I believe. So not too many shots and generally they'd be one at a time not a few in a row. He tells us in the topic the pure trial he's been through since January when he got an ear infection. Tinnitus set in after that.

I really can't say in my own words what a catastrophic picture he paints of living with that condition. Constant headaches along with a noise so loud and unceasing it drove him to almost being suicidal. Think about that for a moment, and I really mean stop reading, read it again and think how something like it would affect you, your quality of life, your family, your work.

There is no cure for Tinnitus. Please, read that again, there is no cure.

After reading his topic, I've decided to change my ways. I used to go out hunting without hearing protection, on the basis I needed to hear all that was going on around me. I still believe that. But, taking a step back from it, I have realised in no way do I want to experience something like Tinnitus. From now on I'll always have my ear protectors and plugs when I'm hunting. No more stupidity.

I realise my post won't have the same effect as his, so I've asked to reproduce it here...

Hearing Loss - A cautionary tale.

You have probably noticed that I have not been ‘on’ this forum or posted for quite a while and if I have missed a request or PM from anyone I apologise but recent circumstances have virtually precluded the use of my PC.

In December I was fine and out shooting at least 3-4 times per week, for anything and everything over the 20,000 odd acres I have permission on locally but that all changed in the New Year.

Mid January I had an ear infection, nothing serious, but one that needed antibiotics to clear it up. However, by the time my week’s course had finished I had started with Tinnitus ��" a ringing sound inside my head along with high blood pressure and constant headaches.

Without going into too much detail suffice it to say the noise gradually became so loud I was near to being suicidal. The doctor was great and helped me organise immediate visits to various Consultants and clinics as well as arranging all sorts of tests, x-rays and scans only for me to find out that I don’t have a brain tumour, or a kidney tumour or any of the dozen or so other things that might just be causing the noise. It is, in their words, ‘Tinnitus, and I need to go away and learn to live with it as there is no cure’.

The reason was not the ear infection ��"that was just the catalyst - but my loss of hearing that has happened over the years from shooting without proper protection.

I didn’t realise at the time but without exception my own lack of concern for what I believed was a minor hearing loss was the opportunity for tinnitus to begin. The hearing tests have actually shown quite a significant hearing loss especially in the ear opposite to my shooting side and that is the underlying cause.

For me the noise levels initially built up to very loud levels at a frequency of around 5800 MHz. For instance I could still hear it despite standing next to a very loud vacuum cleaner or over the noise of my vehicle on the motorway when driving on those horrid serrated concrete stretches " it was loud and was there 100% of the time. I was unable to sleep, to watch TV or even use the PC. In fact the PC and mobile / cordless phones still increase the noise inside my head sufficiently to make their use unacceptable most of the time. Over the last 3 months things have settled down a little to a loudness level of about 75% and the noise has changed frequency to around 8000 MHz and I also do seem to have perhaps 1 day in 3 or 4 when I find the noise is down to about 25% level. Better " yes ! but it is still making any semblance of normality impossible and I have only been out with a rifle 4 or 5 times since Xmas.

As an indication of the noise level and type of noise try listening to different frequencies on this site:-

http://www.tinnitool.com/en/tinnitus_analyse/hoertest.php

Turn up your PC Volume top full and turn the site volume to about ½ way and that approximates to the noise levels inside my head for most of the time.

I am in no way looking for sympathy as the reason for my predicament is all of my own making. The point of posting this thread is simply as a warning to others about something most of us just don’t appreciate could be happening to our hearing because it is so gradual and mostly unnoticed. Tinnitus, I understand, can and does hit those with hearing loss as would be expected from long term shooting without protection and I mean constant protection. I am not a Target shooter and therefore rarely shoot more than a handful of rounds at a time at any one time and usually it is single shots. In the field I have never worn protection because I could neither hear what was going on around me nor comfortably shoot with a headset on. I was also unwilling to spend £500 on a set of the digital ear inserts.

I know most of you are the same as me and because of that fact alone I am telling you to start taking care of your ears. The hearing loss you may get from shooting is something you can easily live with " in fact it can be an advantage when the wife says it is time to wash up " but the onset of Tinnitus could be equally as devastating to you as it has been for me especially when you are told there is no cure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Traumadoc was making the same point today during the conference actually. Hearing loss and hearing damage just isn't a joke. Despite what wags say about the Irish Army cases from a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheSmallFella

Tinnitus is generally caused by High Velocity rounds. It's the high pitched ping that causes it (in most cases).

Obviously any loud sound can do the same.

Shooters are also very prone to high-tone deafness which is less obvious than tinnitus.

Everyone shooting, without exception, should be wearing high quality hearing protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

He mentions digital ear inserts, are they any good for hunting and where would you buy them?
    Jesus, his tale really hammers it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Was talking to a doctor and a nurse recently during an examination about shooting without hearing protection ( game shooting only, I always use earplugs when clay shooting ). Suffise to say they nearly slapped me in the face and these ladies knew what they were talking about. The doctor even told me what type and brand of hearing protectors I should get and where I could get them.

Like a lot of people I wasn't too bothered about it but John's story and what I was told by these ladies realy hammered the point home. I think I'm going to save up for a pair of good electronic plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

I would recommend saving up for those electronic ones that are moulded to the inside of your ear rather than waste your money on plugs and or ear defenders like I did.
    At the end of the day if you won't wear them why waste your money!
    I started like most people with nothing in my ears going hunting, then as I am gradually going deaf I bought some cheap ear plugs. First time I wore them they blocked out nearly all the sound and I didn't like that so I took them out. They were cheap but ultimately a waste of money.
    Next I tried those special shooting plugs that are made of rubber and shaped like a Christmas tree that are supposed to let some noise in but not let gunshot harm you! Waste of time and money, I still didn't feel comfortable wearing them.
    Lastly my other half bought me a pair of electronic ear muffs. The sound was good it even felt a little enhanced. I could hear the best and it dulled the sound of a shot. Problem was they were too warm around my ears and bulky. Result, they are lying in a drawer somewhere only to be worn at a clay shoot etc.
    No I'm saving up to by those electronic ones that are moulded to your ear. There is a company in South West Dublin that does them. I'm saving up to have them this season and I will be definitely be wearing them because trust me; I want to hold on to what hearing I have left!

Mallards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Losing your hearing or suffering from tinnitus as a result of the use of firearms should be every shooters worse nightmare and fair play to johngalway for highlighting same.

I've always used peltors and find them excellent, also get the hearing checked every two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Sparks wrote: »
    Traumadoc was making the same point today during the conference actually. Hearing loss and hearing damage just isn't a joke. Despite what wags say about the Irish Army cases from a few years back.

I discussed the point that moderators reduced the risk of noise induced hearing loss and that having these on the restricted list made no sense. To be fair they are going to reconsider this.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

For anyone interested I found these people. Click on the link then click on the picture for the brochure. Scroll to the bottom and read the shooting times review.

http://www.noisebreaker.co.uk/

Here are the contacts in Ireland,

Please contact Bunzl Safety in Dublin on 03531 4567826 or
    Campbells Hearing in Belfast on 028 9 024 0045

Mallards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

CLADA wrote: »
    Losing your hearing or suffering from tinnitus as a result of the use of firearms should be every shooters worse nightmare and fair play to johngalway for highlighting same.

I've always used peltors and find them excellent, also get the hearing checked every two years.

Got Peltors on their way to me, must check up on that order actually. I'm also getting proper ear plugs, as I've found out wearing earplugs alone, never mind their cost, won't FULLY protect your hearing.

I'm also going to get my hearing checked, I know full well I've damaged it. I'll include this with my moderator application (moderated centrefires can still damage you btw) later this summer once a few trail blazers have been through the new hoops of fire.

Just idley talkign to my foxing buddy Saturday night, I asked him if his hearing ever "got bad", he said yeah, so I asked ear closest to the gun or farthest away, knew the answer already. The ear farthest away always gets the worst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I find I wear the hearing protection while on the range, but when I see a deer, im too anxious to get the shot in and dont bother, does anyone wear the peltors full time while hunting?

• Advertisement

Was at my doctors today, about a chect infection that won't shift. I took the oppertunity to mention that I thought my hearing had been damaged. So he asked the usual questions, do you ask people to repeat themselves? Yes, do you find it hard to hear in a crowd? Yes... and a few more. Ok get yourself off to an Audiologist, you need to get it checked out. Also mentioned that I intend to apply for a centrefire moderator, he told me to get everything documented for my application so I'll do that too. Let ye know how I get on when I know myself!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I did a safety officers course last year through he CPSA and as well as discussing the merits of the various ear plugs, they mentioned caps!

Apparently you should also wear a cap because your skull absorbs sound waves and a cap will afford a little extra protection.

Regarding the plugs, I always wear two sets when clay shooting - custom moulded in the ear and Peltors over them. If I could find a way to ad a third pair I would.

I'll at least be wearing my moulded set when game shooting from now on before my own tinnitus gets any worse.

In winter time I always have a cap on, if I was to wear it this time of year I'd make maggots lol, I understand the point though :)

Two sets of protection sounds good to me.

I hope this thread will help people understand even a little more about our hearing and how it can't be fixed if damaged. I actually picked up a couple of leaflets in the doctors surgery today, one on Tinnitus and one on Hearing Awareness Week I think it was. They give a couple of good self check guides to find out if you've damaged your hearing.

johngalway wrote: »
    Just idley talkign to my foxing buddy Saturday night, I asked him if his hearing ever "got bad", he said yeah, so I asked ear closest to the gun or farthest away, knew the answer already. The ear farthest away always gets the worst of it.

Coincidently (spelling) my doctor also mentioned this today, he's a keen woodcock shooter. He was saying how a lot of "other guns" would damage peoples hearing by shooting from certain positions they shouldn't.

Advertisement