Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In search of a Graphic Designer

Options
  • 09-05-2008 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm completely new to this so I'll try and keep it simple.

I found a Coca Cola advert entitled 'The Coke Side of Dublin' and I'm trying to produce something in a similar style to it but with different content. Basically the advert is a rough map of Dublin but with all buildings etc. done in a cartoon style. I'm looking to create my own map with my own personalised images and this is where I am at the minute.

However I have no graphic design experience and am not particularly artistic. This is not preventing me from trying to find out how hard it would be to reproduce something in this style though, or indeed who is out there that could help me or do this for me.

I've tried to attach the file of the scanned advert but I'm having trouble for some reason.

If anyone can advise me on how to post the image I'l put it up as soon as possible and then maybe we'll see if anyone can help me or point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any help you can offer and excuse my technological ignorance!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its a flash banner add, if its the one I think it is, and you will have difficulty saving it.

Adverts.ie is the best place for ads btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Lachako

The advert is a scanned in image of an advert I found in an in flight magazine, not a flash banner advert.

I've managed to upload the image as an attachment after some perseverance, so you can take a look at it for yourself.

Are there any graphic desginers out there who can produce work in a style similar to this, or is it an artist who'd be needed?

Basically I have a collage of pictures (some buildings and other inanimate objects) which I'm looking to mould together in a similar style to the Coke ad, for a business proposal I'm working on.

Once I have completed researching the viability and complexity of creating my idea (as I see it in my mind), I will be looking for a Graphic Designer or other capable professional to help make the idea a reality.

Any advice on offer would be gratefully received.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dagmar

The 'honourable' thing to do would be to try and find the original artist and ask her to do a new version for you incorporating your requirements.

In fact this may turn out to be the cheapest solution to getting what you want. This kind of pixcel/sims style takes a lot of technical skill and patience, so find out who put in the original work.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice Dagmar.

Just to let you know, here's where my search for the original Graphic Designer has taken me so far:

I've been in touch with Coca Cola in Dublin a few times, twice by phone and twice by email, to which I got no response in relation to my enquiries.

I perservered and called into their offices and left a copy of the advert with them and explained my query. The receptionist informed me of the name of the employee who had run the advertising campaign for Coke and told me that she would "endeavour to get her to call me back". However I'm still waiting for that call! This is why I've decided to try a different avenue of enquiry i.e. to speak to people on this and another Graphic Design forum.

I also managed to find another image by a Dublin based Graphic Designer who'd created a piece for Coke, to advertise the International Rules series. So I emailed this guy, to see if he knew anything about the advert I'd found or if he could give me any information on the style of it, however I didn't get a reply from him either.

So that's it really. If anyone has any advice or can point me in the right direction, or if you think you could produce something in this style and of a similarly high standard, then let me know.

Again, all advice welcome and thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 frambosenshmak

rothco (www.rothco.ie) handle some of the advertising for coke.
    give them a shout they may have commisioned this ad. A lot of cokes advertising here is part of their wider european campaign so may not have been created by an irish artist it may have just had the copy replaced and been reformatted for the dimensions of the ad placing it was to go on.

you're probably not getting any help from coke because there's nothing in it for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

it may be worth posting your request for the original creater on www.creativeireland.com forums.

good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 E.V.G.

Hi there, after much discussion here and on creative ireland I can confirm that the illustrator of this piece is EBoy! The creative was commissioned by McCann Erickson Dublin as part of the Coke Side of Life campaign. You will see it appearing on city center poster sites in June.

Thankyou to everyone, including those who Private Messaged me, who helped point me in the direction of Eboy.

It looks like he is the creator of the Coke advert in question and I'll be pursuing this avenue, with regards to getting my business proposal off the ground.

As I'm looking to make more contacts in the Graphic Design field, anyone else out there who is capable of a similar style and standard of work and would be interested in being a part of this project, feel free to register your interest by Private Messaging me and I'll reply to all with more information.

Once again, thanks to all who took time to give me advice and share their expertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

its not hard to do but very very very time consuming
    its called pixel art, various tutorials out there for it.

Advertisement