Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nick Hogan sentenced

• 09-05-2008 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

From the observer site:
    Judge Philip Federico of the Pinellas County Court sentenced Nick Bollea to:

8 months in county jail starting immeidately
    5 years probation
    500 hours of community service, none of which can be performed with public speaking
    No alcohol consumption for five years
    Drivers license revoked for three years

He was not given a felony on his record. Nick as he was leaving the courtroom said he was accepting of the sentence.

I watched the last half of it. All of the Hogan's and Graziano's stood up to make personal appeals.

The Grazianos wanted the book thrown at him. They said Nick showed no remorse. The Hogan's said John (the chap that got hurt in the accident) was like family.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Slap on the wrist really. His defence says he's happy with the sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

Slap on the wrist really. His defence says he's happy with the sentence.

In terms of what the worst case scenario could have been anyone would be happy with such a sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Videos of trial here: http://www.tmz.com/tmz_main_video?titleid=1546424361

Worth a look if your bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Well his driving career is over. The man is a muppet and deserves everything he gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Deserved a heftier sentence in my opinion. Thats celebrities for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I severely doubt that John was forced into that car. They were friends and Graziano knew what risks he was taking. Sentance seems lean at first glance but I don't think it's too unfair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

his "jail" sentence is going to be more like a hotel

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

So thats 8 months of tv and playstation3! Pretty much like normal for him then!

Bubs101 wrote: »
    . They were friends and Graziano knew what risks he was taking.

I don't he stopped or any of the others involved stopped to think about it. If they did, maybe they might have come to the conclusion that drag racing on a public road wasn't the brightest decision in the world.

I see where your coming from though. There were others involved besides Nick who were alot older than him, like the people in the other car for example who have to take some responsibility too.

To me watching it, I thought Nick and Brook came across very genuine in their feelings towards the chap that got hurt. I believe them when they say how they and their family were extremely close to John Graziano.

Before it, I thought they should have thrown the book at him. After watching some of it live, I'm in 2 minds. It was kind of surreal tv.

It's not over though. As far as I know the Graziano family are suing too. Hogan's attorney said something in the trial about the family being sued for more money than what they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

taken from twnpnews.com
    Nick Hogan was in court today to and pled no contest to felony reckless driving involving serious bodily injury.

TMZ.com was streaming live footage from the courtroom all afternoon. Several national television stations were also showing live courtroom footage, including MSNBC and CNN.

Many people took the stand to speak to the court, including the family of victim John Graziano, Hulk, Linda, Brooke, Nick and the laywers from both sides. The Grazianos absolutely buried Nick while Nick's family and lawyers went on and on about how close John was to their family and what a great guy he is.

In the end, Judge Philip Federico ruled that Nick will serve 8 months in Pinellas County Jail. He'll also have 5 years of probation, 500 hours of community service and his license is suspended for 3 years.

Nick's jail sentence begins today - he'll be sleeping in a jail cell tonight.

We'll have more on this developing story later today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Was that for when Nick had a bad crash a killed/nearly killed some body?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

kearnsr wrote: »
    Was that for when Nick had a bad crash a killed/nearly killed some body?

It was

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭Kane-N-Nite

He deserves more like 8 years for just being a ponce. They should have thrown the book at him.

In fairness, the guy's still a child and he was with adults. You know how it is when you're younger and want to impress older friends. None of the adults stopped Nick from drinking, none of them stopped him from from racing his car (they obviously encouraged him as one of them was racing against him) and the guy that was injured took the decision to not wear his seatbelt. If he had worn his seatbelt and walked away like Nick did, then I'm sure some people would be saying that this sentence was too harsh

From watching a bit of the video, it's clear that Nick has put effort into helping the community of his own accord, and the judge took that into consideration and said that Nick's better off helping out like that than being locked up for years for something he did as a child

He deserves more like 8 years for just being a ponce.

The most he could have gotten was 5 and the general expectation was that he'd get 12 months.

The fact that he was just 17 when it happened, making him a minor meant that he was going to get a leaner sentence because rehabilitation is the name of the game for minors.

All True, i'm just not a Nick Hogan fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

All True, i'm just not a Nick Hogan fan.

does he have ANY fans!? the guy is a tw@t and was incredibly lucky with the sentence he recieved!

does he have ANY fans!? the guy is a tw@t and was incredibly lucky with the sentence he recieved!

If he does have any fans, I would be truly amazed:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Does himself count?

EdK wrote: »
    Does himself count?

:D I'm sure even with everything thats happened to him, he still loves himself, only a little.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

How badly injured was the victim?

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    How badly injured was the victim?
    Graziano suffered severe brain injuries.Doctors had to remove part of Graziano's brain. His attorneys say Graziano still remains semi-conscious in the hospital and will need care for the rest of his life.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2008/5/9/346981.html?title=Bollea+sentenced+to+8+months+in+county+jail

Wear your seatbelts, kids

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

I'd say he was more relieved than anything else, he always came across on their show as an arrogant so and so. Is anything happening to Hulk, with him supplying the booze to Nick?

He should've got more than that.
    Jesus, he essentially killed the poor bloke. 8 months?! The American Law system is nearly as bad as ours.

Wasnt that young lad a racecar driver by trade? That's what they made out in the TV show.

Suppose though, it'll kill off 'Hogan Knows Best'. Thank f*cking christ. He obviosuly doesn't know best. Supplying children with drink? Tut-tut.
    That was the worst, most staged programme, ever. And that includes Paris Hiltons one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i dunno lads, the guy willingly got in the car with him and didnt wear a seat belt, it was his own look out

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    He should've got more than that.
    Jesus, he essentially killed the poor bloke. 8 months?! The American Law system is nearly as bad as ours.

So what do you think would have been a fair sentence?

He was 16 year old kid that did something really stupid and it had horrible consequences. There were older people in his group that night that made just as bad decisions too.

On reflection, I thought the judge got it right although I wouldn't know anything really about the typical sentence juveniles get for a crime like that over there.

From everything I read, he actually got a harsher sentence than what is usually given out in cases like this. There was no intent, he had no previous convictions, he's a juvenile and he's taken steps to do something useful with his life. I think the sentence should have the desired effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

• Advertisement

To put it in perspective, here's some articles on drivers in Northern Ireland who got sentenced for similar things: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/3058601.stm and http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7270407.stm

21 year old man drink-driving kills a man, got one year in jail. 19 year old man causes serious injury, two years in jail. 21 year old man causes a woman's death, one year in jail. 29 year old man causes a death, two years in jail. Those ones were five years ago, but one the one this year has a 22 year old man causing the death of another, and he got six months in jail

dade wrote: »

The car is mashed, i see on the top of the page it has "totaled", the americans and there language amuses me.

Fozzy wrote: »
    To put it in perspective, here's some articles on drivers in Northern Ireland who got sentenced for similar things: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/3058601.stm and http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7270407.stm

21 year old man drink-driving kills a man, got one year in jail. 19 year old man causes serious injury, two years in jail. 21 year old man causes a woman's death, one year in jail. 29 year old man causes a death, two years in jail. Those ones were five years ago, but one the one this year has a 22 year old man causing the death of another, and he got six months in jail

Shows the value of a persons life who has been killed, such a disgrace been honest :mad:

Fair enough, I see your points.

I work in a hospital and we see a good few number of cases somewhat like this.
    When you're looking after a young man you know will never be the same again, who has to be bathed, toileted and fed daily by a stranger and cannot communicate to his family outside of tearful mumblings you begin to really wonder if the punishment Nick got was really fair.

Yes Nick made "only" one mistake, so did the victim. He got in the car and didn't buckle up. He didnt put his oot to the floor though and risk not only his life but the lives of dozens of other people. He just didn't put his seatbelt on. He didn't break any laws. He didnt ruin any lives.

so what do you want then

that the young guy driving who didnt intend on harming him, and who had the sense to buckle up and who walked away from the accident,

do you want him jailed for 10 years?

it was a horrible accident, no doubt

but locking nick hogan up wont solve anything

He's famous. A heavier sentence would've sent out a message.
    He was drunk. He was speeding. These are big killers. Send out a message that if you do that you wont get "a slap on the wrists", but something more serious.

• Advertisement

so you want him treated more harshley because he is famous :confused:

Listen put yourself in his position.
    You've ruined a person's life and you get to go back to doddy and mommy after 8months in state prison. You not think you've got off a bit lightly?

If you know that the sentence is only 8 months for GBH and 1 year for manslaughter and were someone into street racing etc., you probably wouldn't be put off by that. I mean the risk of personal death seems more relevant.

If you make an example of him it could make a bigger impact.

Lets be honest, if this was some random Joe Blogs we wouldnt be talking about this. The fact he's famous highlights the point. And his status in society is always going to be scrutinised. He more than you're average Joe Blogs should have known better. Had he got a ticket, he would've been in all the gloss mags. The fact that he did what he did puts everyones eyes on the case and it's outcome.

sorry that just doesnt make sense, his profile should have nothing to do with it one way or the other,

and im sure his own life has been changed permanently for the worst because of it.

It was an awful accident, and some awful decisions were made that made it worse. Im sure the passenger knew they were going to be racing, for all we know he was encouraging it. anyway he didnt put his seatbelt on which could have saved him from the state he is now in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Holy ****, this is the first I've heard of this.

Look at this though:
    http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2008/5/9/346981.html?title=Bollea+sentenced+to+8+months+in+county+jail
    "He seems to drive as fast as he wants, whenever he wants and it's caught up with him," Episcopo said.

The first speeding ticket was for going 115 mph in a 70 mph zone. Then 57 in a 30. Followed by a 106 in a 70.

Two weeks before the crash Bollea got another speeding ticket for going 82 mph in 45 mph construction zone in Pinellas Park.

I'd like to think that in this country he'd have got banned from driving in court way before this accident ever happened.

82mph in a 45 zone!!!! whatever about 115mph in a 70 its breaking the law but at least its a motorway people are expecting cars to be going fast, that last one is ludicrous.

so thatd be like all the people driving over 100kmp/h on the road works section of the m50 every day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I'd say its more like flying down the road to the shops at 80mph

edit: oh yeah see what you mean cyrus, yeah you see people doin 100km/hr on the m50 roadworks - but not many coming close to 145km/hr

Police/courts should have taken his (or anyone elses) licence away after that amount of huge speeding tickets, I mean were not talking 35mph in a 30mph zone here. Those policemen or the justice system has the blood of that guys brain on their hands :)

a 45mph construction zone sounds like a 60km/h road works to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

At least the Hulkster can relay on his old pal Warrior for sympathy...

Tuesday. May 13, 2008

Reported by: Ryan Clark

Ultimate Warrior has an account on Twitter.com (linked from his MySpace page), which is like a little blog site. Warrior posted a note on Hulk Hogan's son Nick being sentenced to eight months in prison for reckless driving causing serious bodily harm. Warrior wrote: "Tonight I was at the gym and a guy asked me if I heard that Hogan's son was sentenced to 8 months in prison. I said that kids not going to be able to hold a fart by the time he gets out of there." You can see Warrior's page at twitter.com/ultimatewarrior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

D-FENS wrote: »

Ultimate Warrior has an account on Twitter.com (linked from his MySpace page), which is like a little blog site. Warrior posted a note on Hulk Hogan's son Nick being sentenced to eight months in prison for reckless driving causing serious bodily harm. Warrior wrote: "Tonight I was at the gym and a guy asked me if I heard that Hogan's son was sentenced to 8 months in prison. I said that kids not going to be able to hold a fart by the time he gets out of there." You can see Warrior's page at twitter.com/ultimatewarrior.[/B][/I]

That's class :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

so speeding 4 times + accident speed = 5 times, if he was in ireland and paid those up front thats 10 penalty points, if he was conviced fotr all of them thats 20!! add on top of that "dangerous driving"= 5 points lets be honest he wouldnt have a licence anymore and he really SHOULDNT!

http://media.tbo.com/tbo/mp3/2008/052208bolleacall2.mp3

Phonecall that Nick made to his family from jail on the first day he gets there. I felt kinda bad listening to it but listening to Hulk talk soon made me snap out of it. Just surreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Crazy stuff. How did that get out? Hmmm. The cynical side of me wonders if it's a way to garner sympathy for the guy...

Was that Brooke near the end of it? Sounded like it.

Nick: "I'm in a room with no windows."

Brooke: "Oh, well I wouldn't worry too much about it."

Uh, he's in prison! Way to sympathise there, sis!

I do feel a bit sorry for the guy I must say. Seems like a big wake up call for him.

Advertisement