Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game theory 20100

Options
  • 09-05-2008 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I really urgently need help with this subject and I'm willing to pay over the top.

Trying to learn game theory in one week... I have my doubts. The lecturers notes are pretty crap and with the answers to the problem sheets, he just givs the answers with no explanation...

Drop me an email, shane.levins@ucd .ie, if you can help??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭wandering_star

Mods....???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

Is it Sarah Parlane? She writes crap notes but she's really nice and helpful if you go up to her and explains stuff v well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Do you have Jim Bergin as your lecturer this semester? How'd the mid-term go for you?
    Last year I found that if you learn the problem sets (forget about understanding them, just do what he does), you should be fine. I did really well in that class, and I didn't learn much. I'd say I know pretty much none of it a year after doing the class. I may still have his notes on a CD which I'll mail to you if you don't already have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 slevins

Yeah its Jim Bergin, I have all of his lecture notes if your referring to them. That advice on the problem sets is kind of helpful but only problem is he doesn't explain how he got the answers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Yeah I know what you mean, they're pretty hard to follow. I ended up using yahoo answers and wikipedia to figure them out. For the mid-term I got an A, and I went into the exam thinking I knew nothing. I really just guessed stuff and put down answers with feasible explanations and he lapped that up. A lot of the subject is a load of bulls***, and I'm pretty sure the lecturer knows that too, which is why he seems to give marks away for nothing...

• Advertisement

Ok well I've been concentrating on the problem sheets, but with just the answers given its kind of hard to follow. Anyone able to help, I mean go through them with me, or have answers done from last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Euge25

Yea the problem sets are hard to follow but the repeat exam and the original final exam arent to difficult. Does anyone know if jim bergin is a lecturer that asks similiar qustions each year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Euge25 wrote: »
    Yea the problem sets are hard to follow but the repeat exam and the original final exam arent to difficult. Does anyone know if jim bergin is a lecturer that asks similiar qustions each year?

yea agree that the final is'nt too difficult at all.

i remember him saying that the final will be eaiser than the material covered in class, and that a lot of the topic would'nt be needed untill next year.

3 of the 4 Questions seem very easy, a basic standard of algebra can get you full marks.....its just knowing the format to use.

if you have the book it pretty much explains the problem sets step by step, i only got it today and find it very helpful.

Bukman13 wrote: »
    yea agree that the final is'nt too difficult at all.

i remember him saying that the final will be eaiser than the material covered in class, and that a lot of the topic would'nt be needed untill next year.

3 of the 4 Questions seem very easy, a basic standard of algebra can get you full marks.....its just knowing the format to use.

If you have the book it pretty much explains the problem sets step by step, i only got it today and find it very helpful.
    Cheers, try sitting down and doing problem set 4. His notation made no sense until I sat down with a friend who did game theory 2 years ago and it took us an hour to figure it out! Where can I complain about the lecturer's material...:D

slevins wrote: »
    Cheers, try sitting down and doing problem set 4. His notation made no sense until I sat down with a friend who did game theory 2 years ago and it took us an hour to figure it out! Where can I complain about the lecturer's material...:D

yea i know what you mean, its quite complicated he just gives you the answer and no explanation whatsoever. pretty much sums up his lectures throughout the semester tbh.......

Q2 on problem set 4 is ok....its Q1 thats makes no sense.

the rest of the problem set are easy enough to follow, however reproducing it in the exam will be harder....

On the Exam

Hopefully The Extensive form game and the Contractual relationships will come up.

the other two are a mishmash of best response, expected payoff and sub-game equilibria......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Willum101

good luck everybody! its our last exam so just think about the end haha

Willum101 wrote: »
    good luck everybody! its our last exam so just think about the end haha

yea...my confidence has slowly disintergrated as the hours have gone on.

if its similar to the past paper i'll pass....

but if its not......looking into space for about an hour then handing up a blank script sounds just about right. :rolleyes:

Advertisement