Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear of SeaWeed

• 10-05-2008 9:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

iv noticed a few times when im swimming in the sea that if it touches off me i panic and i have to get out of that area as quick as possible
    iv had this a few times

yet when im OUT of the water i can touch it but then it still feels weird

is that cuz i have control of whats going on OUTSIDE the water?

and secondly
    i hate TOUCHING certain kinds of fruits when im washin or cooking with them
    pears and peaches and tomatoes ( i know its not a fruit )

idk its odd
    anyone else have this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

Yup, hate seaweed. Freaks me out when im in the sea and i touch it. Scared id get tangled in it or something. Or that its not seaweed at all, instead some kind of sea monster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

tomatoes ( i know its not a fruit )

Tomatoes are a fruit. :p

And maybe your fear of seaweed is akin to Full.Duck's fear of seaweed. Maybe it lies in a deeper fear of drowning, As seaweed is a common culprit in drowning incidents?! It's probably a good/healthy fear to have imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Z

I had something similar. Just didn't like touching the stuff, but after a seal bumped into me twice in sligo in the water I don't mind anymore. The creatures and underwater life in Irish seas are friendly and won't harm you. Not even the basking sharks off the N Mayo cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭do you love it?

i love seaweed. i eat seaweed.....yum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Oh my god this is one of my biggest fears!!!! I HATE seaweed in water but I am fine if it's on the beach or something.

I remember a few times on holidays say going out on a paddle boat and jumping into the water and I'm fine swimming along but if I see seaweed on the seabed, I FREAK out! It happened before and we were out quite far (maybe it was 20 ft deep or so?) and I was fine until I saw some seaweed below me. Ok it was nowhere near me coz the water was so deep but I got so freaked out that I had to haul myself back into the paddle boat.

Another time my dad used to own a speed boat and we went down to Dingle with the boat one weekend to go out and see Fungi the dolphin. I jumped into the water, was swimming along, I was thrown a rope thingy to hold onto and my dad put the boat on ultra slow and so I was getting pulled along by the boat. Having a great time, happy out relaxing coz I'm holding onto the rope and am moving along nicely in the sea. I roared out to my brother to warn me if there was seaweed up ahead so that I could get out of it's way, next thing he hollers "SEAWEED!" when I am in the middle of it!!!! I was surrounded EVERYWHERE by it, they had driven me into a huge big swarm of it! I went nuts! My dad had to jump in and pull me back into the boat because I was in complete panic mode.

I'm telling ya, I'm quite a strong swimmer but MY GOD seaweed just terrifies me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Sometimes when I'm surfing, my leash gets caught in seaweed real bad and I gotta hop off the board and dive into it to try and free myself. Its gross :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Ooh, i don't like those too...
    Its just feels really sorta disgusting n stuff...
    N i also have a slight fear of all the creatures in the sea. Like once i got bitten by a crab on the beach... N so like i watch my step every time i'm at the beach...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Doesn't seaweed gross everyone out a little bit? I always hated it and then two years ago we went to the seaweed baths in Sligo. My bf wouldn't touch the seaweed in the bath water and he made me keep it down my end though! After doing that I can touch seaweed in the water and on the beach. without shuddering. Maybe the OP (or other seaweed-a-phobics) could give that a go? It did make my skin feel great too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^Yeah, sea weeds do have a lot of cosmetic stuff in there. They make a lot of cosmetic creams n all from sea weed extracts. It'll make your skin feel and look better.
    Its just all that slimy stuff which feels really gross.

Advertisement