Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT bb Help please ..... possible reasons for this?

Options
  • 10-05-2008 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I've been with BT now for about 2 years and had no real problems with them until this week.

Please see the below connection info i am getting from my router info at http://192.168.1.254/

Connection Information:

DSL
    Available eircom broadband
    Connected
    User Name

IP Address
    <snip>
    Primary DNS Server
    ns5.ns.esat.net
    Secondary DNS Server
    ns4.ns.esat.net
    Speed
    160/256 (kbps)

Line Attenuation
    48/30 dB

I pay for 2mb bb and normally the d/load speed would show what i pay for (I think it shows as 1954/256 kbps or something???

anyway for the last week it is showing as 160/256 kbps.

I have called BT and they dont seem to have a clue what is going on, so I was wondering if anyone in the know could give me possible reasons why this has all of a sudden changed, so I can go back to them to tell them.

Thanks
    PT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

peepingtom wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've been with BT now for about 2 years and had no real problems with them until this week.

Please see the below connection info i am getting from my router info at http://192.168.1.254/

Connection Information:

DSL
    Available eircom broadband
    Connected
    User Name

IP Address
    <snip>
    Primary DNS Server
    ns5.ns.esat.net
    Secondary DNS Server
    ns4.ns.esat.net
    Speed
    160/256 (kbps)

Line Attenuation
    48/30 dB

I pay for 2mb bb and normally the d/load speed would show what i pay for (I think it shows as 1954/256 kbps or something???

anyway for the last week it is showing as 160/256 kbps.

I have called BT and they dont seem to have a clue what is going on, so I was wondering if anyone in the know could give me possible reasons why this has all of a sudden changed, so I can go back to them to tell them.

Thanks
    PT

Hi PT

Your case sounds familiar..... If I remember correctly I think BT booked a Bitstream fault for you and they found nothing wrong with it?

With those stats the connection must be intermittent too.

I can see you are on a 2 mb profile as your upload speed is correct (256 kbps) but where your download speed should be 2048 kbps you have 160 kbps.

Eircom's 2 mb profile (IPEXPAND) is a RA (Rate Adaptive) product. This means that, depending of your line conditions, your speed will change.

All this happens during training or showtime (part of the startup sequence). Basically your router will talk to the line card at the exchange and it will provide it with its SNR and attenuation/gain per tone, the ATU-C will then decide what’s the maximum data rate sustainable on the copper loop that can still maintain a BER of less than 10-7 (in simple words it will verify what is the fasted speed your line can handle and then connect at that particular speed).

So, the 2 mb (IPEXPAND) RA profile speeds go between from 160 to 2048 kbps for downstream and 256 for upstream.

Your modem is synching at the minimum speed, which indicates a line problem. By booking a Bitstream fault BT only asked Eircom to check the NMS settings at the Exchange (your speed profile settings), and they came back saying they are ok.

When booking a Bitstream fault Eircom always checks the PSTN side of the line first to make sure there is nothing wrong with it.

By clearing the fault they cleared both sides, PSTN and Bitstream and found nothing wrong.

Based on my experience this is most likely internal, an unfiltered device or a faulty router. There is a chance that the line could be faulty but I assume that was checked when the bitstream fault was booked.

My suggestion is :

Triple check internal setup, dont use and extension cable, make sure everything is filtered (Alarm, Sky, phones...).

The quickest thing will be to disconnect everything, all phones, sky... everything and connect the modem straight into the main socket.

Reset the router and check again. If the problem is still there then test it with a different modem, if you can get a hold of one call BT and let them know, they will send you a test router.

If all this fails I suggest checking your internal wiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

thanks for your help .... it was the bloomin' sky ..... cant understand it ... its never been an issue before ..... anyway i suppose i'll have to get a second filter

cheers again
    matt

Advertisement