Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre pressure for a big fella

Options
  • 10-05-2008 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I cycle to work for lots of reasons, the main one being fitness/weight loss. I've a specialized globe sport which is a hybrid bike.

The tyre says that I can inflate it to between 60 and 100psi. I'm a big guy (on the wrong side of 200lbs!) so should I keep the tyre pressure near the bottom end of this range or is it safe to take it close to the top and try and cut down on the rolling resistance? at the moment i've it set to 65.

I fear that if I pump it up too much and hit a bad pot-hole or bump i'll end up with a blow-out!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Keep 'em as hard as possible. Those tyres are incredibly strong. Get them up near the 100 mark, the difference between cycling a hard tyre and a soft one is unreal. I actually put my slicks on the mtb commuter up to 110, even though the tyre says 100. Not a bother on them-took a while to get the confidence with the pump to get them that hard though!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

cunnins4 wrote: »
    Not a bother on them-took a while to get the confidence with the pump to get them that hard though!;)

that's the thing! last time i had a bike was when i was a kid and i'd never push it higher than 30!

thanks for your reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

As a big guy myself (105kg/231lbs), I have the tyres on my road bike at around 100 or so, with no problems at all. One thing you may want to do, if you want some more security, is to go to 25mm tyres as opposed to 23's (if you're a roadie that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

They're 35's (I think). was thinking trading up to a road bike but I think it this stage my gut might get in the way of getting into a proper riding position!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

preilly79 wrote: »
    They're 35's (I think). was thinking trading up to a road bike but I think it this stage my gut might get in the way of getting into a proper riding position!

Mine does a bit, but your knees soon pound yourself a little thinner :D

You should be fine with 35's then

• Advertisement
Advertisement