Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft Office on the Cheap

• 10-05-2008 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

What's the story with saving money by purchasing educational version of MS Office? Chances of being caught out High or minimal???

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

IR wrote: »
    Chances of being caught out High or minimal???

*tag*

Caught you!

No attempts to break the law on this forum please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Pretty stupid question in fairness, what do you expect us to say?
    If your looking for a free office program get open office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭IR

Any suggestions for other forums where I should attempt it so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Lol. Classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Any suggestions for other forums where I should attempt it so?
    www.cheapgit.com/wantfreestuffnow

• Advertisement

Still not free.... at around €120
    Thanks for photie though.
    You've gotta admit full price of €400 - €500 pretty hard to swallow
    never any harm in chancin your arm..in future I'll try a less - (how shall I put it) - 'formal' website for these types of queries....

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

try open office, its a great alternative and its free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

He brought the lulz. /wipes tear away

daftdave wrote: »
    try open office, its a great alternative and its free

Not mad about it...used it before, am an Oulook Gal through and through...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thunderbird is a good, free alternative to outlook. Does the job for me.

Sherifu wrote: »
    He brought the lulz. /wipes tear away

What?????? English Please...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

What?????? English Please...
    Tasty Burger.

Thanks for that last, and very informative post Sherifu!

Anyway, will try my luck with the EBAY offers - saving of €300 and more not to be sniffed at...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I get jokes

Happy to hear it!
    life would be awfully dull if you didn't...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just remember you can't buy OEM copies of Office on eBay or elsewhere separate from the computer they came with. OEM copies are bound to the original machine forever.

Actually depending on how old your computer is it might ever be easier to buy an old computer with office on it already.

Thanks for that Midnight.
    Nah, thing is I really want the new 2007 Office, addicted to Excel, and like all the new stuff, and use Outlook a lot, and fancy an upgrade, as well as the new Business Contact Manager Software.... am bidding for an Upgrade on EBAY at the mo.....decided to try and go the legal route....if I don't get it at a good price though....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if I don't get it at a good price though....
    Please read the charter :D

Fingers crossed on eBay though,
    Don't forget to change the defaut file types so it saves as DOC rather than DOCX otherwise your documents won't be easy to open for users of any product other than office 2007 , unless they download over 50MB of updates and patches , if they can figure out how to

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Please read the charter :D

Fingers crossed on eBay though,
    Don't forget to change the defaut file types so it saves as DOC rather than DOCX otherwise your documents won't be easy to open for users of any product other than office 2007 , unless they download over 50MB of updates and patches , if they can figure out how to

Anyone know what possessed them to change it to DOCX?

• Advertisement

To force people into upgrading I'd imagine

I had the upgrade version for a short while, and just posted a link on my email with where to go and download the compatibility files if they couldn't read my attachments...
    seemed to work fine...i imagine it won't take long for it to be fairly standard....

Cheers for the tips guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Presumably it offers some kind of advantage over .doc

That standard was getting kind of old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think for the sake of several hundred euro you should give a go of Thunderbird and Openoffice.

Presumably it offers some kind of advantage over .doc

That standard was getting kind of old.
    IAll the DOCX documents I've seen so far could have been done in word for dos / works / wordpad / write as in windows 3.1, actually they could have been done in an email.

The Americans have a saying "if it works it's obsolete!"
    The Russians still use a modified 1950's ICBM for all manned launches, oddly enough it's still doing the job after Redstone , Atlas , Saturn I , Saturn V and other US manned launchershave been retired and most likely will soldier on after the shuttle is retired too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Staying off-topic (Sorry , OP!) Intel's 80C85 chip (used in the Tandy100) powered NASA's Mars Pathfinder . A $25M machine built around a chip you'd be lucky to get tuppence for on adverts !

On topic , the introduction of the .docx format is at best an annoyance to users of earlier versions of MS Word/Office - at worst it's a shameless strategy to coerce customers who have paid a lot of money in good faith to cut their losses and pay the asking price again for continued functionality .
    If there was a product recall on , say , your 42" plasma screen and you duly brought it in and the guy turned round and said "We've updated the firmware , blah blah . You can take it home now and watch RTE1 and 2 if you got rabbit's ears , no problem - but if you want your NTL , XBox or Playstation to work on it throw me a couple of hundred and I'll sort it for you" would that be considered a reasonable business practise ?

I'm not by nature/mindset anti-Microsoft but I do think what they are doing with Vista and Office_old to Office_new is deplorable . Not used Server 2008 yet (and not familiar enough with Server 2003 to compare anyway) but havent read too much negative feedback so maybe they got that right ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

What's the story with saving money by purchasing educational version of MS Office? Chances of being caught out High or minimal???

You sir, are a comedian.

I don't understand why people would even consider paying for personal use of MS Office when...

Feel free to finish that sentence with one of the multiple choice answers out there.

Advertisement