Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Debt Collection Agencies - how do they work?

• 10-05-2008 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering what is the law on the use of these. Came across posts of people getting letters etc.

1. What happens if the debt is passed to a debt collection agency and the person who owes the money pays who they originally owed the money to e.g. by bank transfer or whatever? i.e. can the debt collection agency actually be ignored or do they have legal entitlement to the money or what?
    2. How is the debt actually passed to the collection agency i.e. is it via contract law or via an actual statuate law or usually by the t&c of the original agreement?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The Debt Collection Agencies work on commission of anything up to 10% of the amount owed. So say a DCA collects €1000 for a business the business only gets €900. If you pay the business direct the DCA won't get its commission.

In that situation the DCA can be safely ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Bond-007 wrote: »
    The Debt Collection Agencies work on commission of anything up to 10% of the amount owed. So say a DCA collects €1000 for a business the business only gets €900. If you pay the business direct the DCA won't get its commission.

In that situation the DCA can be safely ignored.
    Thanks Bond-007

I have also seen cases where the debt collection agency use a solicitor and ask that the monies be paid via the solicitor - can the person who owes the money still pay direct to the company/person they owe it to?

Is a debt collection agency different to those agencies that buy the debt and does the same still apply then i.e. can the person who owes the money still pay the debt direct to whom they originally owed it to? or is that a different legally situation?

I have also seen cases where the debt collection agency use a solicitor and ask that the monies be paid via the solicitor - can the person who owes the money still pay direct to the company/person they owe it to?
    Of course. But someone won't get their commission.
    Is a debt collection agency different to those agencies that buy the debt and does the same still apply then i.e. can the person who owes the money still pay the debt direct to whom they originally owed it to? or is that a different legally situation?
    I don't think much debt selling goes on in Ireland. I would imagine if a debt is sold the new owner would have to tell you that they now own the debt. In that case I would imagine that you would have to pay them in that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Debt collection agencies work as you agree in the contract with the person you incur a debt with that they may assign their interest in the debt to another party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

In the case of a debt collection agency - could the person/company who the debt is owed to legally refuse to accept payment of the debt to force the debtor to go through the debt collection agency?

• Advertisement

I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

axer wrote: »
    In the case of a debt collection agency - could the person/company who the debt is owed to legally refuse to accept payment of the debt to force the debtor to go through the debt collection agency?
    If the original contract giving rise to the debt allowed for the assignment of the debt to a third party, yes; otherwise no.

Advertisement