Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT LLU 8 mbit Speed problems SWORDS Exchange

Options
  • 10-05-2008 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone

I was just wondering if people are still having issues with traffic speed in the Swords Exchange?

Only ADSL2+ lines.

If you do could you please reply to this thread with a brief explanation of what the symptoms are?

Just doublechecking...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PotBelly

Thank god I am not the only one. I was just about to post about this exact issue. I am also on the swords exchange on a new llu and have been in contact with bt tech support many times and now they claim it is noise on the line.?

I just had an eircom engineer at my door telling me the line is fine and the problem is with their new llus

My line drops every 20 mins or so. According to my usage meter I have logged in 517 times since the 1st of may. Sometimes it lasts longer and sometimes I get speeds of 8mg.

Now I have my router set to adsl2+ but when the modulation syncronises I get ADSL_G.dmt.bis instead. I changed my mtu to 1500 and that seemed to give me better speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

PotBelly wrote: »
    Thank god I am not the only one. I was just about to post about this exact issue. I am also on the swords exchange on a new llu and have been in contact with bt tech support many times and now they claim it is noise on the line.?

I just had an eircom engineer at my door telling me the line is fine and the problem is with their new llus

My line drops every 20 mins or so. According to my usage meter I have logged in 517 times since the 1st of may. Sometimes it lasts longer and sometimes I get speeds of 8mg.

Now I have my router set to adsl2+ but when the modulation syncronises I get ADSL_G.dmt.bis instead. I changed my mtu to 1500 and that seemed to give me better speeds.

Hi Potbelly

That sounds def like a line issue. Did the Eircom Technician do anything to your line (to improve it I mean)?

Also, what is your router manufacturer?

Are you throttled at the moment? If so Bt will need to unthrottle you so they can do proper testing.

Could you give Tech Support another call please?

Or send me a PM

I am throttled at the moment. Eircom engineer said after all his tests the line is fine and did not do anything.

I rang tech support again and they said that the line is still showing up as red so it has to be logged to eircom again.

My router is a buffalo wbmr-g54.

Seems strange that this problem only arose after changing over to new bt llu and 8mg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Lad's - Do any of ya know if Applewood is covered by Swords exchange?
    Ta.

I am throttled at the moment. Eircom engineer said after all his tests the line is fine and did not do anything.

I rang tech support again and they said that the line is still showing up as red so it has to be logged to eircom again.

My router is a buffalo wbmr-g54.

Seems strange that this problem only arose after changing over to new bt llu and 8mg?

They said the line is testing red still? Did you remove the router when they where running that test?

Anyway we shall see on monday!

• Advertisement

snollup wrote: »
    Lad's - Do any of ya know if Applewood is covered by Swords exchange?
    Ta.

if you want to know go to the smarttelecom.ie site and type your telephone number into the line checker...

Bohrio wrote: »
    They said the line is testing red still? Did you remove the router when they where running that test?

Anyway we shall see on monday!

They told me to unplug everthing while they carried out the test, however eircom performed their tests without my knowledge, so everthing would have been still plugged in.

Whats special about monday?

Whats special about monday?

First day of the week?

Well on Monday BT will test the line properly. Today, they just run a PSTN test. The fact that that test is red doesnt necessarily mean there is a fault the same way that when is green it doesnt mean there isnt.

Being an ADSL2+ line BT will have full visibility.

One question.. when you loose connection do you also loose sync?

Based on what you are saying it really looks like it could be a router configuration issue.

yes i also lose sync, however sometimes it will sync but will not connect. odd

Can you recommend a modem router with wifi

yes i also lose sync, however sometimes it will sync but will not connect. odd

Can you recommend a modem router with wifi

No so fast!

First they will need to determine if the problem is with your router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

Hi Bohrio,

Spoke to you a week or so ago on the phone. Just bad timing for me this week as I've been away for almost the entire week, but the speed issues don't seem to be as noticeable at the moment as they were a couple of weeks ago.

I'm still not convinced I'm as "rock solid" as I was with BT 8meg upto the middle of April, but it doesn't look like I'm dropping as much anymore.

At the moment my router is showing 21hours without a drop....I'm not sure if that's because it doesn't log "days", just hours, or that it indeed was reset within the last 24 hours.

Up until april I think I could have gone days/weeks/months without a reset.

Anyway, I'll keep you informed, (hopefully you'll do the same for us if you find out any info about the swords exchange! :) )

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Bohrio, I meant to ask on the other thread but since they locked it I'll ask you here: When they bring in the 30-day usage meter will there be a link to it on the monthly page? If not could you post the link here when it's up and running?

Cheers.

Phlann wrote: »
    Bohrio, I meant to ask on the other thread but since they locked it I'll ask you here: When they bring in the 30-day usage meter will there be a link to it on the monthly page? If not could you post the link here when it's up and running?

Cheers.

Hi Phlann, no its not up and running yet. BT is hoping to add it before the end of the month. It will be displayed in the same broadband.iol.ie/usage info page.

Pilotsnipes..

I was hoping your speed would have improved.

Keep an eye on it and let me know if any changes. BT connection will reset every 24 hours, that is normal.

Hope it helps!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

cool, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Checked my usage meter last night just after reading this thread, showed 14 logins since start of month.

Now showing 45!

You jinxed me Bohrio!!!

Dropped my connection a few times since 8am but reconnected pretty rapidly.

Another 31 disconnections in the last 24 hours.

Linksys router log says:
    Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:00 - No response to 3 echo-requests

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:00 - Serial link appears to be disconnected.

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:00 - Couldn't increase MTU to 1500.

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:00 - Couldn't increase MRU to 1500

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:00 - LCP down.

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:06 - Connection terminated.

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:06 - Connect time 42.3 minutes.

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:06 - Sent 66409 bytes, received 209534 bytes.

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:06 - Doing disconnect

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:06 - Exit.

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:48 - Interface "nas0" created sucessfully

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:48 - Communicating over ATM 0.8.35, encapsulation: LLC

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:48 - Initialize LCP.

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:48 - Plugin pppoe loaded.

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:48 - PPPoE Plugin Initialized

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:48 - Plugin pppoe called.

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:48 - pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:48 - setting line discipline hook

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:48 - Sending PADI

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:48 - HOST_UNIQ successful match

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:48 - Got connection: b7ef

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:48 - Connecting PPPoE socket: 00:19:55:cc:e5:3c b7ef nas0 0x1004e180

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:48 - using channel 90

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:48 - Using interface ppp0

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:48 - Connect: ppp0 <--> nas0

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:48 - Couldn't increase MTU to 1500.

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:48 - Couldn't increase MRU to 1500

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:48 - LCP is allowed to come up.

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:50 - Couldn't increase MRU to 1500

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:50 - CHAP authentication success

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:50 - local IP address 78.16.47.63

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:50 - remote IP address 193.95.136.245

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:50 - primary DNS address 194.125.2.241

Wed, 2008-05-14 09:43:50 - secondary DNS address 194.125.2.240

Don't know if that's any use.

Also, looking back through all of the log it seems I'm being disconnected after 43-46mins.

Could this be deliberate?

I've changed nothing on my router settings.

Another 31 disconnections in the last 24 hours.

Linksys router log says:

Don't know if that's any use.

That's weird have you changed your MTU settings? try 1492? otherwise give BT a call

That's weird have you changed your MTU settings? try 1492? otherwise give BT a call

Exact same settings I've always had.

MTU: Auto
    Size: 1500

Exact same settings I've always had.

MTU: Auto
    Size: 1500

Yeah.. I know, but due to ADSL overhead you should reduce that to 1492. Anyway that shouldn't make much of a difference.

Have you upgraded your router's firmware?

Give them a call and ask them to look into it...

Even if you are at work now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Another user here with the exact same issue and also in swords.

I had it a few weeks ago and after a few phone calls line tests tec support set my mode to G.dmt.

I have been stable for about 2 weeks and monday 14th boom - I drop every 10 minutes.

Driving me crazy now can get no work done.

Have you upgraded your router's firmware?

Did so about six weeks ago when I first started having problems.

Don't have time for the 1hr+ on hold today tbh, am not at work.

This appears to have started Monday sometime, much like egan described before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The ideal MTU size for PPPOE use is 1492. You'd want to change it to that as most DSL suppliers configure to use PPPOE. If you continue to get problems, you could reduce the MTU size further to 1400 or lower as a smaller MTU can help with dodgy connections, especially with packet loss.

Have reduced to 1492, have to pop out now but will have a look at log when I get back and post with any updates.

Rang tec support, they said 'my noise margin was a bit high' so they adjusted it and asked me to monitor. 20 minumtes later i'm on hold on my second call....

I'm too far from the exchange for 3 Mb.
    I have to be downgraded to 1Mb.
    It's funny how I could get 3Mb for the past year.
    It's funny how they had no problem selling me 3Mb.

Time to go shopping mes thinks....

egan007 wrote: »
    Another user here with the exact same issue and also in swords.

I had it a few weeks ago and after a few phone calls line tests tec support set my mode to G.dmt.

I have been stable for about 2 weeks and monday 14th boom - I drop every 10 minutes.

Driving me crazy now can get no work done.

Using g.dmt usually helps on doggy or poor lines.

Your problem is different to therecklessone. His problem has to do with the router itself (most likely)...

Thanks for the call and tests i'll continue to monitor.

MTU set at 1492, have had two disconnections since.

Am resetting the router now to see if that makes a difference, then reducing MTU to 1400 as plan B.

Will call tech support after all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Hi All

Just upgraded to 8Mb in Swords and have been having nothing but trouble since.
    Router is a Zyxel prestige 600 series and is disconnecting repeatedly.

I will check to see if it is still synched when disconnected - have not seen anywhere to set the MTU.

I rang tech support and was asked to set the adaptor to a nailed connection which I did, (which I had already done previously to test and it made now difference). They problem is still there.
    I also asked about the slow speed (about .5mb on some occassions) and was told that I should should expect some speed reduction in the evening. I told him that I could accept 'some' speed reduction but that at speeds like that I would be better off with the 1mb broadband.

Im glad to see that I am not the only person with problems.

I am about to email their customer support to seek resolution to my problem.

Paddyo

Advertisement