Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

inoduction to web design

Options
  • 10-05-2008 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

I am really interested in getting into web design , its something i really want to try , even just to start it out as a hobby but i am a total novice to it

does anyone know any website that teach you from start to finish or any good books to buy ,,,,

would love to go study it but due to work and that fact i am very poor (no really i am ) and due to family life i can only commit a short time to it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'd recommend starting on W3Schools tutorials on HTML, XHTML, CSS and Javascript in that order. They will give you a great introduction to the technologies. After that you can start to look at server side languages like PHP and ASP, but don't worry too much about those for now. Get the basics down first.

Anything after that comes from a lot of "but what if I do this" kind of thinking.

Forget about using an application like Dreamweaver when you are starting out, you'll get a much better grounding in the fundamentals if you use just a basic text editor to write and a browser to view.

If you have any queries on specific parts of any of these (and you will! :)) then feel free to ask them on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭disc

cheers for that ......

if i wanted to download a web template what is the best site to get free templates and is photoshop the best programme to use to edit them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

or www.oswd.org has a few templates on it to get you going.

OP, nice to see your interested anyway, and good luck learning about it. You know where the web sev & design forum is if you need it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

This book, Head First HTML & CSS is supposed to be a great book for an absolute beginner.

http://www.headfirstlabs.com/books/hfhtml/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Another handy book is "Web Standards Solutions - The markup and style handbook" by Dan Cederholm.

It gives a good grounding on what HTML tags are most appropriate for a section of your page. I think it would be particularly useful for someone who is new to the scene, as you won't have the bad habits that some of us have having used tables for layout, navigation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

eoin_s wrote: »
    Another handy book is "Web Standards Solutions - The markup and style handbook" by Dan Cederholm.

It gives a good grounding on what HTML tags are most appropriate for a section of your page. I think it would be particularly useful for someone who is new to the scene, as you won't have the bad habits that some of us have having used tables for layout, navigation etc.
    Haven't read that book extensively, but think it's aimed at people who already have some grasp of HTML, and have been design with tables for ahwile.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

p wrote: »
    Haven't read that book extensively, but think it's aimed at people who already have some grasp of HTML, and have been design with tables for ahwile.

Good point - however, the flip side is that someone who has never used tables for layout won't have the "bad habits", and may find it quicker to pick up the appropriate tags to use.

If anything, it would only be an addition to the other resources mentioned already.

Advertisement