Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is it legal to put in an extra diesel tank in to a camper

• 10-05-2008 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hi
    i am planning of doing a self build mercedes sprinter 00 into a camper. what i am wondering is it legal to put in an extra diesel tank that would be linked to the original tank for long distance driving. hoping to go on the continent with next year. now i know the senario of the extra weight but i am happy to sacrifice the weight rather than having to stop to fill up all the time. that way i can buy the diesel at a cheap price .the van i have is very economical even with a full load and its a long wheel base. i think its more important that you drive then in the region of 55 mph. basically is there any one such as the doe/vrt crowd that cud say or charge you extra for having an extra tank.
    was probably hoping to fit it underneath the van and get a local guy to weld it in to place. hoping you can give some advise on the whole situation or maybe you have already done it.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In principle I can't see any reason why not. Lots of commercials/trucks have two tanks.

However I think it would be a good idea to ask at you local DOE centre or MB dealership what the guidelines are as to where (an how) you can and can't put it before you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 merc camper

You can get an option of 2 65 litre tanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Since you're building and at the plumbing and tank stage have a look at http://www.eberspacher.com/auto_motorhome.php?section=automotive . The 7day timers n stuff are cute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

It shouldn't be a problem considering cars get LPG conversions which means the addition of an extra tank.
    I've also heard of trucks doing this where the "secretly" add an agri diesel tank for cheaper motoring:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I dont see the saving there. Its like carying an extra person around all the time. Will there be that much of a difference in the price between garages to justify it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭cir287

dont think there is any problem with adding tanks, once they are properly mounted & connected and the tank itself is sound, as in its in good condition and of similar construction to the original.

as for savings on the cost of fuel, it depends on how far you intend to travel and how cheap you can buy diesel here. Ireland (believe it or not isint too bad price wise for diesel, France, Uk and others would break you)
    a friend of mine runs a few lories back and forth to Italy, he has 1600 litre tanks fitted to all his lorries now, they can do a return trip without filling up away, saves him money and hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 doubledecker

HI,
    I got my van tested at a doe center recently, just before I installed a second tank in order to run on Veg. oil. I asked the guy about modifications such as an extra tank. He said that any modifications need to be accompanied by evidence that it was installed by a 'professional'. Though he did say that he may overlook it, as he did my second leisure battery, isolator, and inverter. which he said he could of failed me on, but didn't. So it may depend on who checks your camper, but I'm sure if its a good looking, safe job, they shouldn't have a bother with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 muttsnutts1

IMHO, The tester was talking rubbish, he could not "Fail" you as he has no authority under law. Most DOE testing stations do not want to test motorcaravans as they do not have the facility,nor the authority. Some for a price do carry out voluntary tests on behalf of some Insurers. There's no obligatory DOE or NCT test on any motorcaravan in the Republic of Ireland.(As yet) Likewise there is no law to say you can't fit a second tank , and many "newer" motorcaravans particularly the Ducato's or similar Chassis have bigger tanks fitted retro..
    M:confused:

Advertisement