Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company car with BIK - options?

Options
  • 10-05-2008 1:55pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Firstly folks, thanks. I've been subbed to the forum reading threads for a while now. Though similar threads have been through I've a couple of questions that I haven't seen answered. I work for myself with a ltd company. I'll be as clear as I can:

I've been using my own car for work and claiming mileage up to now. I do >30k miles at work per yr so BIK will be less than 6% of market value. I did the math and would be better off with a company car with all things considered.

I'm used to a bit of poke and don't want to forsake this but I don't want to shell out 60/70k€ either. I'm thinking along the lines of a second hand car, can I do this? Is there anything I should consider if I do decide to try this?

Can I purchase a second hand car in the UK if I so wished?

I've heard talk of leasing the car, should I consdier this? Should I purchase the car from the company's account or should I seek a car loan?

The alternative will be a new car at around the 30-40k mark. I'll be waiting until the new vrt and tax rates come in as I'll be buying a diesel.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matrixroyal

I don't know about buying a second hand car because as I understand it, you will be paying the BIK on the new price of the car ( when it was bought ) , even though you are only getting it when it is a few years old.

Advertisement