Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java shortcut image

Options
  • 10-05-2008 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hello i need a java shortcut or (a picture of a shortcut).
    It does not have to link to anything. Maybe u could tell me how to make one (what is its name e.g. word = .doc )
    thanks
    COD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Huh - I am guessing you talking about Icons attached to shortcuts? - Perhaps a .ico - the actual icon for the shortcut or the actual shortcuts themselves - .lnk files.

But what has this to do with programming besides having java in it.

Little confused :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

OP, you might need to give us a clearer description of what you want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Like the others, I'm not sure what you're looking for.

How to create a shortcut to something?

Or the extension on a java file? (Which is .java like it's .doc for word docs)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ComplyOrDie

Sorry 4 being so vauge

I am writeing up a user manual showing someone the steps involved in useing a java application which i have created. However to run the application you have to open the files in textpad compile them all and then run it. I do not know how to create a desktop icon that would automatically run the application- and i dont really need to because the project application was allready marked . I need a icon someone else has created for their own application... it does not have to work , i will be pretending it works. I can change the writing in fireworks to suit the name i would like to call it
    Hope this is more clear

ComplyOrDie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Ok what you do is create a batch file.

Go to notepad and type java C:\myproject\classname - which is the compiled java file. AFAIK java is set to be an environmental variable so it should work from command prompt without giving location.
    Save this file to your desktop or where ever but not as a .txt - do it as a .bat (select all files too incase it goes myfile.bat.txt.

Now you cannot change the icon on a .bat file afaik so you must actually create a shortcut to this. Then in the properties of the shortcut you can choose an Icon. You can find what ever icon you want on internet or even create your own- there are things to convert from jpg/gif/png to ico - even online ones.

And there you have it - I take it this is what you want.

Webmonkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

If you dont need it to do anything, and your using windows just right click and click "New->Shortcut" point it at anything. Then change the image to what you want as mentioned above.

Advertisement