Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courses

Options
  • 10-05-2008 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Which course would get me the stamp duty relief and subsidies and take the least amount of time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

ring your local teagasc office.

or contact ecollege.teagasc.ie

i did the 180 hour course online, ran over 8 months, needed 4 days in ag college, the rest was an hour or two a week.

but, that course was due to be replaced with a longer one, not sure if thats happened yet or not.

contact teagasc, they're quite helpful for civil servants :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

JohnBoy wrote: »
    ring your local teagasc office.

or contact ecollege.teagasc.ie

i did the 180 hour course online, ran over 8 months, needed 4 days in ag college, the rest was an hour or two a week.

but, that course was due to be replaced with a longer one, not sure if thats happened yet or not.

contact teagasc, they're quite helpful for civil servants :)

Yea, I did the same course. It was pretty basic considering that everyone there was supposed to have third level education. They treated us like kids I thought. But anyway I got what I wanted without having to spend a load of time at it.

Funnily enough, there were at least 5 guy's on our course who were solicitors and didn't have a clue about anything to do with farming. Wonder if they found a loop hole to the stamp duty through the course?

Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The handy 180hrs course is gone now completely. You have to do a longer course now, which includes a good few assignments on your home farm. This is intended to stop all them Lawyers and teachers etc who have no intension of farming but just want the tax relief from doing the course.

Reilig, I was also amazed at the lack of even basic farming knowledge some of the people on the course had. There was one girl who rich dad (who wasn't a farmer) was giving her a 60acre farm. She didn't know the difference between silage bales and a silage pit:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

did you get her number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Tableman

http://www.teagasc.ie/training/courses/adv_cert_agriculture_non_ag.htm

Above link is to te course that replaced the old 180 hours course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Toby33

Hello,

Just to add to this if I may, I am buying some agricultural land and hoping to build house and do abit of farming (hobby farm I guess)

Am I right in saying its 7% stamp duty applies to full price (not FTB), but that I can get an excemption from this if I do a Teagasc course?

Other query is if I am buying land in next few weeks, how would that affect things in relation to stamp duty and excemption as in Can I buy land and then do course etc after sale?

Thanks/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Toby33 wrote: »
    Hello,

Just to add to this if I may, I am buying some agricultural land and hoping to build house and do abit of farming (hobby farm I guess)

Am I right in saying its 7% stamp duty applies to full price (not FTB), but that I can get an excemption from this if I do a Teagasc course?

Other query is if I am buying land in next few weeks, how would that affect things in relation to stamp duty and excemption as in Can I buy land and then do course etc after sale?

Thanks/

Yes, you can buy and then do the course, but you have to do it within 2 years of buying in order to be able to claim back the money.

Regards

Daniel

Advertisement