Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Wriiten Section

Options
  • 10-05-2008 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Just wondering what people are doing for the written piece?
    I'm just learning stuff off,topics and phrases, is this the correct way to prepare for this section?
    Think that something related to the olympics might come up!?or something along the lines of sport?
    any body got thoughts on what topics will appear on the paper?
    Cheers;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

Looking over your oral can be helpful if you've got phrases on alcohol/drugs/obesity etc, lots of the written questions are based on teenagers and society today..Its hard to predict what's gonna go up, so know
    -the layout of the formal/informal letter/fax/note/email
    -general reaction and opinion phrases if you're asked to respond to an image, quote etc..
    -the journal intime's pretty much up each year so learn phrases to do with how you're feeling/anger at your parents/excitement, all the usual stuff that comes up
    -Have a few subjunctive phrases to stick in (eg. 'il faut que j'aille me coucher' at the end of le journal intime)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭i-cheat

i agree with dip.......as far as predictions go our teacher thinks the readings will be about sarkozy (new french president who is always in french media) Marcel Marceux (the famous french mime artist who died) or Edith Piaf (famous dead french singer that had film made about her and appears in the specksavers add!!!) our teacher believes these people mite come up in the readings as they were in french newspapers last winter (the same time the leaving cert papers are made)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Marcus-Aurelius

i cheat, cheers 4 the old thoughts, your teachers is on the ball in comparison to mine,she hasnt a clue! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

If you look over the past papers, you'll see that question one is generally divided into a reaction, and then a narrative. If you learn some narrative story-type phrases, beginnings and endings you should be okay for question one, as I think the narrative is almost always easier.
    The comprehensions in the actual paper help with vocab, as long as you don't fully rip them off. Manipulation of the texts is actually given marks, if you're seen to be clever with it.

As dip said, the formats are important in the formal letters, as marks are going for the "veuillez agreer monsieur..." bit and so on.

As for me, I'm learning off essential phrases that pad out the answers, like tout d'abord, en fait, premierement, d'une part, all that stuff.

What subjects are people studying?

-Alcohol
    -Drugs
    -Smoking
    -Environment
    -Obesity
    -Olympics
    -Politics
    -Foreign Travel
    -Violence

Anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭i-cheat

gaybitch wrote: »
    As for me, I'm learning off essential phrases that pad out the answers, like tout d'abord, en fait, premierement, d'une part, all that stuff.

be carefull wit that, examiners will dock marks if they think your answer is full of waffle and phrases that you have just learned off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭scholes19

gaybitch - a good name to say the least
    completely agree with your points, feel strongly that something related to sport will appear to!
    olympics ant the european championship and all that;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I'm just learning off whole essays which I can mix and match to say whatever I want :):)
    I'm hoping for enviorment to come up! And politicians is a big one too, hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

Thanks, gaybitch til I die!

Does anyone else usually follow the same format for their French essay-type questions? I try to introduce the question, kind of show I get it, and then B.S. a bit with my supposed opinion, and then close off. I'm going to try and only do one opinion in the LC, and try to do a narrative/formal letter/diary wherever I can instead. Show a bit of variety, not be "a mon avis"ing it at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Marcus-Aurelius

'i wipe my own ass' - fred

thinking of making my own blog what do u think?how do i ?
    plz help me, will i get money if i do, i want to emulate the walsho, hes my blog hero!!!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

-sport
    -smoking
    -alcohol
    -drugs
    -pressure of exams

anyone else doing anything more ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

yeswecan wrote: »
    'i wipe my own ass' - fred

thinking of making my own blog what do u think?how do i ?
    plz help me, will i get money if i do, i want to emulate the walsho, hes my blog hero!!!!;)

I'm a hero to someone! Huzzah!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

The french written section is basically your oral all over again. For example; we got this for homework the other day:
    "Voir la vie en rose, c'est bien difficile en 2008"
    You just talk about all the social problems that you learnt off for your oral; Les SDFs, L'alcool, La Violance. And then when you're giving examples to back up each point, use stuff from your oral again. ie: "Quand je sors en boite avec mes amis le weekend, je vois souvent quelqu'un qui a été aggressé par un autre"
    But one thing our teacher told us; if you get sport for example, don't go off on a big tangeant talking about your football team and how you won some competition last year, cos they take away loads of marks if you go too far away from the topic. It's okay to mention stuff like that but stay relative to the question/stimulus. They mark the written section real easy.

Advertisement