Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mma

• 10-05-2008 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi, I'm going to be in waterford for the next few months and was wondering if anyone knew of any good mixed martial arts clubs here? I attempted a few clubs in Dublin while living there and they didnt like the idea of the gound work part with a girl, so any clubs with girls already a part / or any clubs that wont mind me being there?

I dont want to pay money again and be excluded cuz I'm a girl, but I want to keep up my training as my usual sparring partner is gone away for a couple of months.

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I know a couple of girls that attend Waterford MMA down by the park. Not sure what style/styles they do there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Sara - if you want to go to a real MMA gym, go to Waterford Vale Tudo. Bunch of a beefy lads, but their training is top notch. I've trained there a few times, but settle now at the moment with judo and the occasional visit to bjj. If you need anymore info, drop me a line.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭waterfordkick

Hi sara, the Waterford Vale Tudo club are a good bunch of lads who enjoy their training ! they train every Mon, Wed and Fri in the Tycor Business Centre ! in the same gym there is kickboxing classes every Tues and Thurs and Sat too if you want to work more on stand up !if you want more info pm me and i will be more then happy to help !

Waterfordkick - what's your name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

sara025 wrote: »
    I attempted a few clubs in Dublin while living there and they didnt like the idea of the gound work part with a girl

Really?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭sara025

Really?

Yes...I lasted a few classes in one particular club in Dublin for example and the guys must have gotton together one night and discussed how much they dont want little old me there :(
    I was told afterwards that I might be better off 'finding a club that has other girls in it' so that I can do ground work with someone my own size...
    Whether it was them afraid of 'hurting' me (which is ridiculous) or that they just felt plain uncomfortable about it (sooooo ridiculous), either way I dont know but I wasnt told why...

to be honest I was really liking training with guys because I learnt a hell of alot more...I spar with my partner usually, he has taught me nearly everything I know seeing as I cant seem to stay attached to a club...
    To be honest I'm happy sparring with a whole load of different types of people, small large male female whatever...it's all practice

Anyway, I dont want to get all bitter over this...again... :)

Thanks all for the advice, I'll definatley be checking out those clubs

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dlofnep wrote: »

Just PM him and ask the a/s/l :p

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

i dont think just anybody can join vale judo as you need experience in kickboxing,not sure about that tough.

seen them train looks tough

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

sure why dont you ask for the persons address and credit card details while ur at it !!

sure why dont you ask for the persons address and credit card details while ur at it !!

I used to train in the club, I was wondering as to who it was. Nothing to do with ya. Go hound another thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I used to train in the club, I was wondering as to who it was. Nothing to do with ya. Go hound another thread.

Jesus would you relax, it was only a bloody joke. We know your not perving ;);) Nah seriously, tis just a joke and next time - PM the girl.

Didn't look that way. I know yours was Sully, but the other one was very snooty.

Didn't look that way. I know yours was Sully, but the other one was very snooty.

Well normally with two exclamation marks - its a good indication its only a joke :) But anyway, lets forget about it and move on! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭waterford mma

hi, if you are interested in doing some groundwork/grappling just send me a pm. you should come up and check out an mma or jiujitsu class in tycor. classes are on mondays and wednesdays and fridays but we often have other smaller classes throughout the week and/or weekend

shane

Sorry for being so ignorant as to not getting back to you dlofnep but I've been a bit busy over the last week or so. So havent gotten the chance to get on line. To be honest I would rather stay anonymous to boards. But i do train in billy's,nothing too serous and have watched the mma lads train a few times too !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Hi Waterfordkick,

just wondering what the story on photographing fights/tournaments is. I was going to PM you about the last tournament you posted up about as I'd like to try my hand at that type of photography.

I did Tae Kwon Do for years myself so I still have an interest in martial arts to some degree.

Hi Roen
    the guy that did the posters for our last fight night does a lot of posters for the IKF shows in Ireland. He is from Wexford and the web address is
    Web: www.oceandesignstudio.com

Advertisement