Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Astra Trade In Price

Options
  • 10-05-2008 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Im looking for some advice. Im looking at changing my 1.3 CDTi Astra Life (86k km) as its simply too small and I want something bigger. I brought it to a garage today and was shocked at how little they offered me for it.

Can anyone give me a guide price as to what a garage would offer for this? Its in perfect condition and has alloys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

A) I was very interested when you said 1.3 CDTi
    B) I lost all interest when you said life
    C) That's a lot of milage
    D) If it's 06 I'd expect a trade of between ..... €12-€13k in the current market.
    E) Dealers don't want s/h cars at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

ninty9er wrote: »
    A) I was very interested when you said 1.3 CDTi
    B) I lost all interest when you said life
    C) That's a lot of milage
    D) If it's 06 I'd expect a trade of between ..... €12-€13k in the current market.
    E) Dealers don't want s/h cars at the moment

Its the basic model, I know, but has alloys. Mileage is about 50k in miles for a 2 year old diesel car. Honestly didnt think it was that big. Trade in value he offered me was 10,500. I would have taken 12 - 13 and bought the Passatt off him straight away today.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's a bad time to be trading at the moment. The market is kind of in a state of flux at the moment. Nothing is moving either through forecourts or private. People simply are not buying at the moment due to the uncertainty and general confusion of how things pan out post July 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

May I ask which dealer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

New Astra 1.3 CDTIs are meant to be dropping by €1300 in July and they'll have only €150 road tax thrown in as well - that counts against your car OP.

What all the others said is true too of course.

• Advertisement

T J Hooker wrote: »
    May I ask which dealer?

It was in Western Motors. Spotted a lovely 07 Passat and was ready to deal there and then. But when he offered me 10500 I was shocked. 12500 and I would have dealt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

I doubt if many dealers will give a decent trade in price for a diesel at the moment unless they're sure of shifting it before July. I'm not sure that buyers have adjusted fully to the new, higher KM readings either - people seem to have a 100k block and aren't thinking about the units involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

You should shop around in and look at the bottom line figure i.e how much you have to spend to change. Your trade-in price is going to vary from garage to garage but so will the price of the cars you are looking at. I don't believe there is a right or wrong trade-in price per say. If he offered you €10500 and was selling his passat for €29000 and you went to a dealer who was selling the same passat for €31500 and offered you €12500 like you want, which one would you buy?

Basically what I'm saying is dont get to hung up on your trade-in price but worry more about how much money you have to take out your pocket to buy the car you want.

T J Hooker wrote: »
    You should shop around in and look at the bottom line figure i.e how much you have to spend to change. Your trade-in price is going to vary from garage to garage but so will the price of the cars you are looking at. I don't believe there is a right or wrong trade-in price per say. If he offered you €10500 and was selling his passat for €29000 and you went to a dealer who was selling the same passat for €31500 and offered you €12500 like you want, which one would you buy?

Basically what I'm saying is dont get to hung up on your trade-in price but worry more about how much money you have to take out your pocket to buy the car you want.

I know what youre saying. I have a budget of 16k to spend on changing the car. I spotted the Passat for 28500 so I thought if I got 12 or 13k Id be sorted. But pushing it up to 18k is just too much considering Im getting married later this year as well. 16k is definitely my limit on changing my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I know what youre saying. I have a budget of 16k to spend on changing the car. I spotted the Passat for 28500 so I thought if I got 12 or 13k Id be sorted.

Question: New car is 28.5K, your budget is 16K, therefore you need 12.5K for your car. Are you basing your trade-in price expectation on what you need it to be?

I can see two cars similar to yours, both lower mileage, both higher spec, cheaper of the two is 13K, but you'd probably get it for 12K.
    I think your price expectation is too high.

• Advertisement

I know what youre saying. I have a budget of 16k to spend on changing the car. I spotted the Passat for 28500 so I thought if I got 12 or 13k Id be sorted. But pushing it up to 18k is just too much considering Im getting married later this year as well. 16k is definitely my limit on changing my car.

Looks like you'll have to go for an Octavia so.

The boot's massive:D:D:D

Where is he:D:D

AudiChris wrote: »
    Question: New car is 28.5K, your budget is 16K, therefore you need 12.5K for your car. Are you basing your trade-in price expectation on what you need it to be?

I can see two cars similar to yours, both lower mileage, both higher spec, cheaper of the two is 13K, but you'd probably get it for 12K.
    I think your price expectation is too high.

No, not at all. Brought the car to a different garage last weekend and was given a trade in price of 12500. I worked through some figures at home and came up with 16k of a budget. Thats why I was shocked that Western Motors had a Passat, 07 for 28500. I thought it was perfect and thought that Id have all the paper work signed and the deal done yesterday. But there was no budging on the price of the car at all.

No, not at all. Brought the car to a different garage last weekend and was given a trade in price of 12500. I worked through some figures at home and came up with 16k of a budget.

Fair 'nuff, just thought I'd check :D
    Thats why I was shocked that Western Motors had a Passat, 07 for 28500. I thought it was perfect and thought that Id have all the paper work signed and the deal done yesterday. But there was no budging on the price of the car at all.

What marque is the other dealer? What car were you trading in against? If they were looking to really shift it they may have been prepared to cut the crap out of the deal to move it.

That being said, if it's this Western motors, then they've got a lot of Passat diesel stock and you should be able to put a bit more pressure on them to move on price, or pick another car they have for a lower price.

Fair 'nuff, just thought I'd check :D

What marque is the other dealer? What car were you trading in against? If they were looking to really shift it they may have been prepared to cut the crap out of the deal to move it.

That being said, if it's this Western motors, then they've got a lot of Passat diesel stock and you should be able to put a bit more pressure on them to move on price, or pick another car they have for a lower price.

It is that dealer. Im going to give the guy a call on Tuesday, he's off tomorrow Im gona tell him that Im ready to deal straight away but if he wants to deal then he's going to have to shift on price. I can meet him somewhere in the middle but Im not coming down to that price.

It is that dealer. Im going to give the guy a call on Tuesday, he's off tomorrow Im gona tell him that Im ready to deal straight away but if he wants to deal then he's going to have to shift on price. I can meet him somewhere in the middle but Im not coming down to that price.
    Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Do not mention your car's price or his car's price. Tell him you'll deal for €15k. Price is irrelevant. Money is what matterts in this situation and that has nothing got to do with the prices and everything got to do with the deal.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Do not mention your car's price or his car's price. Tell him you'll deal for €15k. Price is irrelevant. Money is what matterts in this situation and that has nothing got to do with the prices and everything got to do with the deal.

I disagree.

Let him know that you're willing to deal and deal straight away - if he knows you'll sign on the dotted line TODAY you'll have his full and undivided attention.

Don't start playing mega-hardball though, nothing turns a salesperson off more than someone who comes in all guns blazing and looks like they think the salesperson will sit up and beg for a couple of quid - it offends our dignity and we'll dig our heels in out of spite.

You want the car for a 16k cost to change, you're 2.5k off his offer. You know it and he knows it. Try and get him to 16k or 16.5k, you'll both be happy and you'll get your new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd also try Al Hayes in Portumna http://www.alhayesmotors.com/contentv3/

He has a large stock of used Passats and alot of folks around my neck of the woods have dealt with him despite there being a number of other much nearer VW dealers in the Mid-West.

Thanks folks. I sent a mail through to Al Hayes and will try to call them on Monday morning.

Ill give the sales guy in Western Motors a call and let him know that Ill deal for 16k, 16.5 at a real push. I mean would he not be happier to make a sale with someone who is genuinely interested? I do really want the car and if he's interested in making a sale this week then maybe he'll go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Don't start playing mega-hardball though, nothing turns a salesperson off more than someone who comes in all guns blazing and looks like they think the salesperson will sit up and beg for a couple of quid - it offends our dignity and we'll dig our heels in out of spite.

+1
    I hate that. Would turn u off the customer.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd also try Al Hayes in Portumna http://www.alhayesmotors.com/contentv3/

He has a large stock of used Passats and alot of folks around my neck of the woods have dealt with him despite there being a number of other much nearer VW dealers in the Mid-West.

+1 again. I'd definitly give him a go. I haven't dealt with him personally but i know a few who have. Apparently he's the kinda that will sit u down and say " Are u here to buy or are u wasting my time." Also (apparently) he gives great trade ins, but i wouldn't expect dealer quaility. He'l just take the car from the yard and give it to u, hardly washed:D.
    No1 bite at me for the Al Hayes bit, as i said i haven't dealt with him have only been told this.

+1
    I hate that. Would turn u off the customer.

+1 again. I'd definitly give him a go. I haven't dealt with him personally but i know a few who have. Apparently he's the kinda that will sit u down and say " Are u here to buy or are u wasting my time." Also (apparently) he gives great trade ins, but i wouldn't expect dealer quaility. He'l just take the car from the yard and give it to u, hardly washed:D.
    No1 bite at me for the Al Hayes bit, as i said i haven't dealt with him have only been told this.

There looks to be loads of them with Al Hayes. Ill definitely give him a shot. If he offers me 12 or 12.5 for mine then we'll definitely deal on the Passat. Id like to give the guys in Western Motors a shot again tho as they are very close to me. But then again, Portumna isnt that far away.

• Advertisement

The sales guy is off today in Western Motors and I dont think there's much point in dealing with anyone else in there.
    Ill see how things go tomorrow.

I dont think there's much point in dealing with anyone else in there.

You'll have to deal with him, I'm afraid. Sales etiquette says that you're now "his customer". Even if you went in and did the deal with someone in the garage today, it would be his deal and he'd get the commission.

Therefore, you'll get minimal help from anyone else.

There looks to be loads of them with Al Hayes. Ill definitely give him a shot. If he offers me 12 or 12.5 for mine then we'll definitely deal on the Passat. Id like to give the guys in Western Motors a shot again tho as they are very close to me. But then again, Portumna isnt that far away.

Go get your quote from Al Hayes today, bring it to Western tomorrow. Don't expect them to be able to beat the quote, not many garages will beat Al Hayes' pricing, but if they're convenient to you and it means you get to the bottom of what they're comfortable selling the Passat for, it'll be worth your time and theirs.

Thanks for that. Just waiting on a sales guy in Tim Hastings to get back to me with a price also. He did it over the phone and said he'd give me a guide price as to what I should be getting for the car on trade in. No word back from Al Hayes yet but Ill give them another call tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

If it's any help, I'm getting trade in offers of between 12 and 15k depending where I go and what I buy for my Astra 05 1.7CDTi 50k

this is not a shameless pimp of my car - merely an example!

If it's any help, I'm getting trade in offers of between 12 and 15k depending where I go and what I buy for my Astra 05 1.7CDTi 50k

this is not a shameless pimp of my car - merely an example!

I would have expected around 14 for mine, would have taken 13 on a trade in. I almost fell over when he wrote down 10500 on the slip of paper. And he didnt even bother to haggle on the price of the car I was buying.

All I can do is wait until he gets back in tomorrow. I mean if he wants the sale then Im willing to put 16k with my own car and take the 07 Passat off his hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

And he didnt even bother to haggle on the price of the car I was buying.

I've had this too. I think the problem is that because car sales are slow then garages are not too quick to buy trade ins. If you went in with a cash offer you'd get a much better response.

For example an Opel dealer was giving me 12 for my Astra, which I thought strange as I expected a better price from a dealer from the same manufacturer. Yet I went into a Peaugot dealer and was getting 15 for my car. Both cars were "as new" demo's - Astra 1.3 CDTi and Peaguot 308 1.6 HDi respetively.

I might be regretting not taking that Peaguot in July if my own cars' value is going to suffer the same price drop as the new models. Then again I could always drive my car into the ground and to hell with trying to chase the lower miles and the latest years....

Just home from Walsh Connollys and was given a trade in price of 12500 on the astra again. But they dont have any black comfortlines in stock. Might just have to hold out for a while and see what comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

the only way to deal with Al Hayes is to go down there and talk to him. he will tell you straight out what you have to pay, dont bother haggling it wont work. That said he is cheap for new vw's and audis but expensive for second hand ones, but he does give good trade ins. The after sales service isnt great, basically because he sells so many cars 2 garages couldnt keep up with the work. I have bought several cars off of him and the after sales wasnt a problem cause I only live down the road. (your work will get done, its just a matter of when) Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Heading to Windsor in an hour as they are interested in speaking to me about the car. Ill post up how I get on in there.
    Also one of the other sales guys in Western motors just left me a voicemail there. Ill give him a call after I finish in Windsor. Either way Ill know how much the car is worth on a trade in after all this.

Advertisement